Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2021 Model 3 or new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking on buying a used 2021 Model 3 RWD

I am going to look at a 2021 Model 3 (RWD, Blue, Black, unk FSD or EAP). It is a private party and they are selling it for $50k. 22,000 miles on the odometer. The vehicle also has ceramic tint on every window/glass. The vehicle appears to be in great condition.

One issue I have with not waiting (or just sell the car when the 22/23 comes in) is my loan quote expires on July 13th and since I got the quote the APR has gone up a bit. I have an excellent credit score but I feel I won’t be able to get what I have now.

What would you guys recommend when looking at private party. Also do you think it’s a good deal ?

But if I am able to sell it for the same price or more than what I bought it for. Then when my new one is ready I can use that money toward it?
You’ll be playing a very expensive game of hot potato. I wouldn’t bank on used car values continuing to go up much higher than they have already.

Not sure if it’s the same in AZ, but in CA we pay taxes on car purchases and don’t get that tax back when selling/trading a used car for another one; we get taxed on both cars. So a used car price would have to go up at least 15-20% more just to break even on taxes and fees (7-10% for each car purchase); assuming each car is roughly the same price. Ex. A 50k car would have to sell for 58k to cover the 4k tax on the first car and 4k tax on the second 50k car just to break even.

This is why I’m a bit reluctant to sell my car for another one. Best offer I got is 64k for my Performance. But a new performance would cost me ~70k. Not sure it’s worth ~6k to jump to a newer car since a ‘22 Performance is not that much different.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
You’ll be playing a very expensive game of hot potato. I wouldn’t bank on used car values continuing to go up much higher than they have already.

Not sure if it’s the same in AZ, but in CA we pay taxes on car purchases and don’t get that tax back when selling/trading a used car for another one; we get taxed on both cars. So a used car price would have to go up at least 15-20% more just to break even on taxes and fees (7-10% for each car purchase); assuming each car is roughly the same price. Ex. A 50k car would have to sell for 58k to cover the 4k tax on the first car and 4k tax on the second 50k car just to break even.

This is why I’m a bit reluctant to sell my car for another one. Best offer I got is 64k for my Performance. But a new performance would cost me ~70k. Not sure it’s worth ~6k to jump to a newer car since a ‘22 Performance is not that much different.
For 6k I would probably think hard about it. I mean, EAP is 6k. 22 would come with heat pump, heated steering wheel, power trunk, new center console, matrix head lights, bigger battery, black out trim if thats your thing, lithium 12 volt and a warranty reset. Id probably do it if it was only costing me 6k to do so.

Upvote 0
Thinking on buying a used 2021 Model 3 RWD

I am going to look at a 2021 Model 3 (RWD, Blue, Black, unk FSD or EAP). It is a private party and they are selling it for $50k. 22,000 miles on the odometer. The vehicle also has ceramic tint on every window/glass. The vehicle appears to be in great condition.

One issue I have with not waiting (or just sell the car when the 22/23 comes in) is my loan quote expires on July 13th and since I got the quote the APR has gone up a bit. I have an excellent credit score but I feel I won’t be able to get what I have now.

What would you guys recommend when looking at private party. Also do you think it’s a good deal ?
I did just what you're talking about. I bought a 21SR+ while my wife ordered her 22 LR. It had 4k miles for 50k.
We were out shopping and stopped in to the East Mesa store and saw a 22 P and asked about it. They offered it to us for 4k less than the online price since it was a demo and had 900 miles on it. So she switched her order and we grabbed the 22 P.
The EV market is goIng to grow and all of the manufacturers cant keep up with the demand. So reselling a EV is going to still warrant a high premium and you should be able to resell it for a good price.

Reactions: AustinL
Upvote 0
For 6k I would probably think hard about it. I mean, EAP is 6k. 22 would come with heat pump, heated steering wheel, power trunk, new center console, matrix head lights, bigger battery, black out trim if thats your thing, lithium 12 volt and a warranty reset. Id probably do it if it was only costing me 6k to do so.
2021 has matrix led headlights, heat pump, new console, black trim. Not sure the cutoff month but I bought a 2021 P3 and it’s the same as the 2022. Only thing I haven’t confirmed is battery difference.

Upvote 0
IMO, EAP is 6k too much; I hardly use AP.

Heat pump isn’t a seller for me. Neither are matrix headlights or a lithium 12v battery.

Don’t care for a heated steering wheel or power trunk. One of the things that drew me to a Model 3 is its simplicity. Heated steering wheel and power trunk are just complexities I don’t use that can fail.

I like the look of the older center console. When open, gives a cavernous space. Only thing I don’t like is that it’s not as refined.

Bigger battery isn’t a seller for me either. My car has <6k miles in 2.5 years. Range is nowhere near a problem. Actually, I’d easily give up range for faster acceleration.

Warranty reset is probably the biggest reason I’d do it. The way I’m considering it is ‘what are the chances in the 2.5 years after the warranty expires, will the car have a 6k repair?’ Unlikely, but that’s the gamble. Still have 5.5 years of battery/DU warranty to avoid that expense through.

EDIT: Oh, and I really don’t like Überturbines. So I’d have to go through the trouble, possibly expense, of swapping wheels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did just what you're talking about. I bought a 21SR+ while my wife ordered her 22 LR. It had 4k miles for 50k.
We were out shopping and stopped in to the East Mesa store and saw a 22 P and asked about it. They offered it to us for 4k less than the online price since it was a demo and had 900 miles on it. So she switched her order and we grabbed the 22 P.
The EV market is goIng to grow and all of the manufacturers cant keep up with the demand. So reselling a EV is going to still warrant a high premium and you should be able to resell it for a good price.
How long ago was that?

Upvote 0