TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Used/"CPO" and Ludacris on 2015 P85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 98ramair, Oct 25, 2019.

1. 98ramair

98ramair P85D

Hello, new to me 2015 P85D owner here!

I had a nightmare experience with the used process through Tesla, but I won't get into the here.

I have a March 2015 P85D that has the next gen backseats, jump seats, and the plus suspension. Before I bought it I pulled the option codes from EV-CPO and it had Ludacris option BP01 enabled. I also have a screen shot of the Tesla page (from my Tesla account) that shows the option after I put the then 2500 deposit down.

I went to get the car and the first thing I checked was if it had Ludacris...it did NOT. I called my SA and he said he would look into it. This was a deal breaker for me at the time. He called me back and said it was a typo and no one had ever upgraded to Ludacris and there was nothing he could do and it would not have Ludacris. I told him I was done and was walking away....and I did.

The car was pristine and from what I have read this is an oddity these days for pre owned. I decided to go back and take the car without Ludacris...I paid a price I can live with and got a gem of a vehicle.

I love the car but I am still upset about Ludacris. Does anyone think I have any course of action here? I took possession of the car...so it is probably too late to get any positive response.

The delivery kid at the store said he thinks they are taking the Ludacris option OFF the used stock. Could this be a new revenue stream, charge for Ludacris twice on the same car?

Any chance this is a legit typo someplace?
    Thanks!

2. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

I'd say you had a legit argument the first time. You put down money/entered into an agreement based on the information presented to you (which said the car had the ludicrous upgrade). The fact that the car didn't have it meant that Tesla falsely represented the vehicle (whether intentional or not). It sounds like you walked away the first time which was your right. When you went back, you agreed to take the car knowing it didn't have the package.

Is ludicrous even possible on a P85D? I thought they just had insane/insane+ and only the P100D had ludicrous.

If it's an available option, I'd show the printout (from Tesla's site) stating the car had the option at the time of purchase and fight them on it.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Fleer

Fleer Member

What is your battery part #? If it’s a ludicrous battery you might have more luck since it’s just a software update to enable it, especially since you have the screenshot but you’ll have to make some noise.

The pack part # is behind the passenger wheel well.

• Disagree x 1
  4. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

Ludicrous on a P85D requires a hardware upgrade inside the pack. The pyro fuse is upgraded to handle extra amperage.

I bought my P85DL six months ago and it still has the Ludicrous upgrade. I doubt they would have removed the hardware from the upgrade if your car ever had it. They may have disabled the software portion.

In the photos you were provided prior to your purchase, is the “P85D” visible on either the IC or the large screen?

5. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

P85D was never sold with Ludicrous, so I'm surprised there would be an option code for it. All ludicrous P85D's went through a $5,000 post new delivery upgrade, where the pyro fuse was retrofitted inside the battery. This upgrade was supposed to be available for 6 months to original owners only, it ended up being available way longer (12, 18, maybe even 24 months) and to non-original owners as well, but it is no longer available (the SC's cannot order parts for it anymore).

• Like x 1
  6. glide

glide Active Member

There would not have been an option code. Did you see the underlined P85D logo on the electronic dash?

Either way, your only recourse is to buy a different car.

• Like x 1
  7. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

As whiteX mentions, its no loner available as an upgrade, means P85D owners like me cannot add it even if they want to.

Therefore it makes P85DL's somewhat rare and possibly valuable. As such I'd press for them to apply it or compensate.

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Not true. There have been lots of P85Ds sold by Tesla with the BP01 option code.

In fact, there's one there right now:

2014 Model S | Tesla

upload_2019-10-26_14-32-46.png

9. Litigate88

Litigate88 Member

There’s no way to get it after the fact. I even went up pretty high on the chain and was notified the SC’s just can’t do it anymore.

10. Litigate88

Litigate88 Member

Interesting however since it doesn’t have the underline. I wonder if they actually did remove it?

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

It probably didn't get the underline in the first place. Many P85Ds did have the underline in the photos and many did not. There are even photos in several threads here about it.

That's never, ever going to happen.

• Informative x 1
  12. BigNick

2014 pre-dated the L upgrade, so would BP01 originally have meant something else?

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

No. BP01 was added to the option code list when the L upgrade was performed.

14. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Did they reuse the P90D code, or did they create a code especially for used P85D's (since ludicrous mode was never available in new P85D's, but it wasn't exactly identical to P90D either even according to Tesla)?

15. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

I thought screen logos always had the underline. Are you familiar with cars with ludicrous but no underline on the screens?

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

BP01 is the option code for Ludicrous for all cars (MS/MX).

That's a configuration change, the badges should have the underline, but it is possible to not have it.** You'd have to look in the DRIVING settings to see if there are Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ buttons instead of Insane.

** When I first picked up my 2014 P85+ as a new inventory car, there was no "+" on the screens. They had to call engineering and send an OTA fix and a reboot fixed it.

17. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

Yep, re-read the OP and you are right. Since the car was knowingly accepted without it, no leg to stand on I don't think.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Yeah, but I also meant that Tesla will never again, under any circumstance, upgrade a P85D to a P85DL.

That means the hardware upgrades. I could envision a case where a car was advertised and sold with Ludicrous (like the OP who had proof), where Tesla disabled it in software, but under the threat of, or an actual lawsuit, re-enabling it. But only for a car that already has had the hardware upgrades.

19. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

Agree with that too.

20. BigNick

I think the pyro fuse is long out of production. Which makes me wonder what happens if a P85DL owner blows said fuse?

edit: typo fix