Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used CPO warranty MISSING.. Tesla won't honor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an original hard copy of the old 4yr/50,000 CPO warranty? I went to SC in January 2021 and got some things done under warranty. They told me I was under warranty until 2023. I just made another appointment because if the 12v battery. They are now telling me I'm out of warranty as of last year 2020?!? I'm going in circles now trying to get this resolved. Blood is boiling now:mad:. The only reason I got my Model X CPO directly from Tesla was because of the additional 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty which started from my used delivery date 8/2019.

No one from Tesla wants to help. The only thing they will refer to is the used warranty that went into effect 10/15/2020.

PLEASE PLEASE help....
Thank you

At some point it changed from additional warranty to remaining warranty plus 1 year/10k miles.

the original CPO warranty also said it was only for the first time the car was sold CPO.

You can find the old text easily with Google. But when it changed and for which cars is harder.

is it in your my Tesla page?

I guess it has happened to others too but they were about to have customer service "chat" solve the issue.
I contact "chat" and they stuck to the updated CPO warranty.

It's not on my Tesla page but it was on Tesla's website under the used car warranty when I purchased the vehicle in 2019.
I did print out the page from Tesla's site before they quietly removed it. There were a lot of things Tesla was offering during that time: free supercharging, unlimited premium connectivity, and the 4yr/50k additional warranty.

Does not say exactly what date from a quick read.

Thanks for the article with the new language. It makes sense now (but not good for consumers).

"Tesla used vehicles are covered by the remainder of 4 years or 50,000 miles left on the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty."

That is not changed. That is the law. New car warranty covers the duration stated on the warranty (the very first 4 year/50,000 mile) even if it's old and used.

Now, the next part is a change from the past language:

"After expiration, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty provides additional coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles. If the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will provide coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles, starting from your delivery date.”

Since the article was written on 10/19/2020, I have no reason to doubt Tesla deadline for the change on 10/15/2020.

Last edited:
It's not on my Tesla page but it was on Tesla's website under the used car warranty when I purchased the vehicle in 2019.
I did print out the page from Tesla's site before they quietly removed it. There were a lot of things Tesla was offering during that time: free supercharging, unlimited premium connectivity, and the 4yr/50k additional warranty.

I agree that since you bought your used car prior to 10/15/2020, you have been covered by the old language of 4 years or 50,000 miles starting from the first day of your delivery and starting from the odometer recorded on that same day of delivery (for the first used owner only, not additional subsequent owners.)

If your odometer on that delivery day was 49,999 then it expires after 99,999 miles or 4 years from your delivery date whichever first.

The new language on 10/15/2020 is not applicable to you.

You can either persuade Tesla to honor the timeline or you can file in a small claim court in which Tesla would not want to waste money to attend for such a small amount of claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
I agree that since you bought your used car prior to 10/15/2020, you have been covered by the old language of 4 years or 50,000 miles starting from the first day of your delivery and starting from the odometer recorded on that same day of delivery (for the first used owner only, not additional subsequent owners.)

If your odometer on that delivery day was 49,999 then it expires after 99,999 miles or 4 years from your delivery date whichever first.

Not every used/CPO prior to October 2020 came with an additional 4 years/50k miles. I think some, mainly higher mileage ones, only came with an additional 2 years up to 100k odometer miles. (corrected per @Tam below.)

They really should have the documents from their purchase that cover what the terms were.

Last edited:
Not every used/CPO prior to October 2020 came with an additional 4 years/50k miles. I think some, mainly higher mileage ones, only came with an additional 2 years/25k miles.

They really should have the documents from their purchase that cover what the terms were.

True.

The older used car warranty had 2 kinds of used cars:

Below 4year/50,000mile would get additional 4 year/50,00mile

Above 4year/50,000mile would get additional 2 years but only up to 100,000 miles reading on the odometer (not additional miles): That means if I bought a used car with the odometer reading as 99,999 miles, then I still have 1 single more mile under used car warranty.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Does anyone have an original hard copy of the old 4yr/50,000 CPO warranty? I went to SC in January 2021 and got some things done under warranty. They told me I was under warranty until 2023. I just made another appointment because if the 12v battery. They are now telling me I'm out of warranty as of last year 2020?!? I'm going in circles now trying to get this resolved. Blood is boiling now:mad:. The only reason I got my Model X CPO directly from Tesla was because of the additional 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty which started from my used delivery date 8/2019.

No one from Tesla wants to help. The only thing they will refer to is the used warranty that went into effect 10/15/2020.

PLEASE PLEASE help....
Thank you
Go look it up on the Wayback Machine

Thanks Akikiki (Wayback Machine) and other members for the feedback. Any tips on how to actually get the service department to honor my original CPO warranty?
I was seriously on the fence with just getting rid of the vehicle and getting a Taycan. It's a true love/hate relationship with Tesla, especially with the service department. I've been a true believer in the company and a LONG share holder since 2012/13.
Thanks

After searching old emails from when I started my used Tesla vehicle purchase journey, I was able to find this in writing :

My name is XXX XXX, Used Vehicle Sales Advisor at Tesla Motors. I’d be happy to assist you in finding the perfect car for your needs.
Every used Tesla is put through a 70-point inspection process, and made sure to be safe to drive and fully functional for the next owner. After this inspection, Model S and Model X receives either a renewed 4 year / 50,000 additional mile bumper to bumper warranty, or a renewed 2 year / up to 100,000 vehicle total miles bumper to bumper warranty depending on its age and mileage. This warranty starts from the day and mileage when you pick-up your Tesla.
All used Model 3 vehicles have the remainder of their original 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty.
All used Tesla vehicles also retain the remainder of their original factory 8 year / unlimited miles powertrain warranties.

I will now forward this email and other conversations from the Used Vehicle Sales and Inside Delivery - Remarketing dept to the Service Center.

Moving forward, the Taycan is now off the list and the new Model X has been reserved. Thanks again to all the members for your help. Please let this thread be a lesson to anyone purchasing from Tesla, ALWAYS get everything in writing. Tesla has a habit of quietly removing lots of promises from their website and will only refer back to the most recent information when questioned.

I guess it has happened to others too but they were about to have customer service "chat" solve the issue.
I contact "chat" and they stuck to the updated CPO warranty.
Same here. I was concerned when others were having issues so I called and was told I was good for the 4 yr/50k extra miles.

PLEASE PLEASE help....
Thank you
Looks like I may be in the same boat. I bought a 2016 Model S in May of 2019 with 43K. It had the 4 year 50K warranty advertised on their CPO website. Now I can not find anything about it on the website and my sales paperwork doesnt show anything. Did you have any luck? thank you Todd