Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used dealers DO NOT understand Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my 2018 LR RWD a coiuple of months ago, the online dealer had listed it as an AWD. After delivery, I found it was RWD. I decided to keep it, since it also had EAP, and negotiated a rebate of part of the price. However, it showed me two things. One, the dealer had no clue how to list a Tesla. Two, Tesla options, like EAP, have almost no value to dealers -- my car was priced exactly like others without EAP.

Now, here's this one, on Carvana, a 2020 SR+ being sold and priced as a Performance model. There's a shot of the info screen among the photos which proves it's an SR+.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1677792

In this case, the valuation is completely the other way, with the price far more than you would pay for a brand SR+. The buyer is going to be a little miffed on delivery.

While shopping for my car, I also noticed many dealers give short shrift to options. When you can find one, a car with FSD will go for little more than one without. Yes, Teslas hold value. The options, so far, do not.

In the used car business, it's all caveat emptor, of course, but this seems especially true for Teslas.

Now, here's this one, on Carvana, a 2020 SR+ being sold and priced as a Performance model. There's a shot of the info screen among the photos which proves it's an SR+.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1677792
Wow that's quite a huge mistake. They even got the wheels wrong (definitely not 19") and also has it listed as AWD when it clearly isn't, plus it lists fog lights when the 2020 SR+ doesn't include them.

Reactions: alexgr
Wow that's quite a huge mistake. They even got the wheels wrong (definitely not 19") and also has it listed as AWD when it clearly isn't, plus it lists fog lights when the 2020 SR+ doesn't include them.

They get quite a lot wrong. Here's a 2018 mid-range that's $15K cheaper, but seems to have FSD, which they never mention (check the navigation screen photo):

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1632694

I've seen a number of makes, not just Telsas, on the Carvana website with incorrect trim identification and other things. Poor data entry = garbage in, garbage out. These sorts of things can happen on private party online ads as well where the person accidentally selects the wrong drivetrain, engine choice, etc. when creating the ad.

As far as the EAP and FSD, I think because there have been various incidents where Tesla has removed EAP and FSD afterwards from cars that some dealers don't want to deal with the potential hassle and therefore add little if any value for those options.

And it looks like somebody is buying it.

crazy!

carvana is usually pretty good ime. I'm looking at buying another car from them now (not a tesla).
Agreed, Carvana is probably the best of them to me. I’ve seen similar madness from other online dealerships like Vroom, but usually not Carvana. I got my used M3 from Carvana and they were pretty spot-on.

Reactions: medphys3
As far as the EAP and FSD, I think because there have been various incidents where Tesla has removed EAP and FSD afterwards from cars that some dealers don't want to deal with the potential hassle and therefore add little if any value for those options.

Tesla only removes EAP and FSD if the car is resold through Tesla. It otherwise stays with the car, as mine did.

But, you are right that dealers give it little value. This is so common that getting EAP or FSD on a used Tesla can be nearly free. Teslas have the best resale value on the market, but FSD has the worst. You gotta feel for those folks who bought FSD at full price, never got the promised features, and then lost that investment on resale.

Reactions: jsmay311
Tesla only removes EAP and FSD if the car is resold through Tesla. It otherwise stays with the car, as mine did.

There have been some issues and inconsistencies in that regard where dealers have purchased Teslas (e.g., at auction) that showed EAP or FSD but it was later removed while in their possession or after being sold to a customer. I think that has made some dealers hesitant to put much, if any, value on those options.

As far as Tesla goes, they have tended to add FSD to most of the cars they retail. They also often add things like acceleration boost.

As far as Tesla goes, they have tended to add FSD to most of the cars they retail. They also often add things like acceleration boost.

That does not seem to be the case currently. If you check the Tesla used inventory for Model 3s, it lists almost every one as having "FSD Capability," but not actually FSD. I think all "capability" means is the car has necessary computer. When you think about it, Tesla would be foolish to not remove FSD, because removing it gives them the potential of another $10,000 option sale. Removing it on a third party sale, though, would be very underhanded.

It is not unusual for an independant dealership to not be expert in all things Tesla. While an ower or enthusiast will know all the tinest of details, the dealership deals with hundreds of different models and cannot be expected to understand the value of each option. They usually go by recent auction values and take into consideration what they paid for the trade in. Not unusual for them to leave a little on the table for enthusiasts to game.

Reactions: timeshifter
I bought my used 2019 M3P Stealth with 6k miles from vroom.com last April. They had a LR AWD with higher mileage, same year for like $4k more than mine. Pricing was all over the place when I bought. Some lucky mofo got a 2020 M3P with 5k miles for $47k, same as I paid, I was so mad I missed it, but couldn't pass on the Stealth.

That does not seem to be the case currently. If you check the Tesla used inventory for Model 3s, it lists almost every one as having "FSD Capability," but not actually FSD. I think all "capability" means is the car has necessary computer. When you think about it, Tesla would be foolish to not remove FSD, because removing it gives them the potential of another $10,000 option sale. Removing it on a third party sale, though, would be very underhanded.

I guess it's not just dealers that "do not understand Teslas" as what you are saying is incorrect. "FSD Capability" means the software is included/activated. FSD Capability, typically referred to as simply FSD, is what currently costs $10k new (as shown below for a new car). Again, Tesla includes that $10k (current retail price) option on most of the used cars it retails.

M3FSD.jpg

Tesla Sneakily Removes Autopilot from Used Model S, Adds It Back Without Explanation
Tesla hasn't stated its policy regarding such matters, or even if such a policy exists.

Tesla Sneakily Removes Autopilot from Used Model S, Adds It Back Without Explanation
That's a car the dealer bought from Tesla via auction. Tesla regularly changes the software configuration when a car goes through their hands (Monroney sticker that came with original car becomes completely irrelevant). There had been zero evidence that used cars that go through private parties have had the same thing happen though.

Last edited:
There have been some issues and inconsistencies in that regard where dealers have purchased Teslas (e.g., at auction) that showed EAP or FSD but it was later removed while in their possession or after being sold to a customer. I think that has made some dealers hesitant to put much, if any, value on those options.
When a car goes through Tesla's hands (like in an auction) Tesla does change things. However, so far other than that, no evidence that it happens. But in this case it was a complete listing error. And given this, I would say the reason dealers don't place any value on FSD is more likely because they simply don't understand the difference between the options. Heck even in this thread there is argument over what FSD capability means, and this is a Tesla enthusiast forum which typically should understand Teslas far better than the general public.

Last edited:

FSD capability means it has the HW and SW enabled. They say capable because FSD is not released officially.