Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used dealers DO NOT understand Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that is the case, then Tesla is selling FSD very cheap on their used vehicles.
Not necessarily. Below are two 2020 M3 LR AWD models, same exterior and interior, both have $2k acceleration boost, 18” Aero wheels, clean histories, similar miles, etc. The one with FSD is listed for nearly $10k more.

2020 without FSD is $42,300
2020 Model 3 | Tesla

2020 with FSD is $52,200
2020 Model 3 | Tesla

I've seen a number of makes, not just Telsas, on the Carvana website with incorrect trim identification and other things. Poor data entry = garbage in, garbage out. These sorts of things can happen on private party online ads as well where the person accidentally selects the wrong drivetrain, engine choice, etc. when creating the ad.

As far as the EAP and FSD, I think because there have been various incidents where Tesla has removed EAP and FSD afterwards from cars that some dealers don't want to deal with the potential hassle and therefore add little if any value for those options.

hmm so they could be diamonds in the rough there if one takes the chance

Reactions: El joe
Typical used car dealer tactics. False advertising to lure customers to the lot. In my local extended rural area of about 50k people, I know of only one indie used car dealer who predictably lists cars correctly and at non-negotiable prices.

Typical used car dealer tactics. False advertising to lure customers to the lot.
Some have argued that Tesla has done similar by including things like gas savings on pricing pages, or when they continued to promote and take orders for the $69,420 MS for several weeks after production had ended only to turn around and tell those customers that the new MS would actually be $10k more (less a $2k discount they offered to try to make up for not fulfilling orders at the lower price).

It’s a good idea when you buy a new car to keep a file with your Monroney Sticker and any upgrade invoices you purchase. Service maintenance receipts not a bad idea either. If you are in an accident and the car gets totaled or if you go to sell, the info will be useful to get you accurate value at that time.

Also be careful to check with your insurance company about how they are recording your car and features. If you purchase upgrades or do modifications you’ll want to let them know so that gets covered as well.

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
FSD capability means it has the HW and SW enabled. They say capable because FSD is not released officially.

No. FSD capability means the owner can add FSD at a later date, not that it’s already installed on the car. The hardware is there (or can be upgraded at time of purchase like my Model 3’s HW 2.5 that got upgraded to HW3 when I bought FSD), but unless you pay separately for FSD you do not have the software downloaded and enabled. Some of the FSD features are there now but not all so not fully functional yet.

This is not so unlike when TVs were sold as cable-ready, they had the tuner built-in so you didn’t need a set-top box but you still needed to subscribe to a cable provider for content.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and dmurphy
No. FSD capability means the owner can add FSD at a later date, not that it’s already installed on the car. The hardware is there (or can be upgraded at time of purchase like my Model 3’s HW 2.5 that got upgraded to HW3 when I bought FSD), but unless you pay separately for FSD you do not have the software downloaded and enabled. Some of the FSD features are there now but not all so not fully functional yet.

This is not so unlike when TVs were sold as cable-ready, they had the tuner built-in so you didn’t need a set-top box but you still needed to subscribe to a cable provider for content.

That is not correct.

“Full Self Driving Capability” *IS* the FSD package.

Here are the purchase agreements from both my model 3 and X.

If Tesla says the car has “Full Self Driving Capability”, it has the FSD package.

C75D6B6E-3EF2-44BE-B76B-E0A2C2493380.jpeg
278B303B-C31C-4519-B5F0-0E13F9561414.jpeg

I am amazed that this continues to create so much confusion, even among some long-time Tesla owners and active forum members. The optional FSD package has always been known as "Full Self-Driving Capability". There is no FSD Capability and then another FSD option above that. Full Self-Driving Capability IS the option and it currently costs $10k on new. I can't wait to see what new confusion comes along if/when Tesla adds a subscription option.

M3FSD.jpg

I would (and did) :)

Since it's selling for brand new price, you'd essentially be trading "used / 25k miles / part of your warranty / and any new features like heated wheel" for FSD (which isn't even truly accurate yet and might not be for a decade).

If Carvana priced it this high because of FSD, then listed it for sale without mentioning FSD, that's pretty confusing. I'd say that listing confirms what the OP is saying... dealers don't seem to know how to price used Teslas.

Maybe they're counting on a period of high demand on new vehicles to increase the value of used inventory? I'd never make that deal. I don't want to wear used underwear and I wouldn't want to spend that much money on a used car :)

I would (and did) :)

Since it's selling for brand new price, you'd essentially be trading "used / 25k miles / part of your warranty / and any new features like heated wheel" for FSD (which isn't even truly accurate yet and might not be for a decade).
I agree it's a bad deal without FSD but your comment was "even if it has FSD and Performance Boost.....this would still be a very bad deal." That is what I was disagreeing with.

As far as new pricing goes, a 2021 M3 SR+ in black with 19" sport wheels would be $40,690 retail without FSD or $50,690 retail with FSD. I'm still unsure if acceleration/performance boost would even be an option on the SR+ but if is, it would add another $2k to these prices.

I'm still unsure if acceleration/performance boost would even be an option on the SR+ but if is, it would add another $2k to these prices.

I don't recall seeing the performance boost upgrade option with my sr+. however I just tried finding the upgrades section in the app and I can't find any upgrades (fsd or seat heaters) now. could be user error though.