Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used dealers DO NOT understand Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much of dealers' questionable pricing of options on used Teslas can be blamed on pricing tools like the Kelly Blue Book estimator tool not pricing them appropriately.

To test how KBB assesses the value of EAP and FSD, I did a quick test. Here are the actual KBB estimated trade-in and private sale values for my 2018 Model 3 with various configurations of EAP and FSD options. (It lets you select each independently of the other, which should be an early warning sign that the estimated values won't be right.)

1615395344752.png

So, to summarize...
-EAP is only worth $896-$1006
-FSD (by itself) is only worth $1084-$1218
-EAP and FSD together are worth $1980-$2224 (even though you can't really have both on the same vehicle)

(Side note, where'd the "list" or "bullets" option go in the formatting bar on this forum? I can't find it.)

And, curiously, the EAP and FSD options are listed under "Exterior" -> "Roof and Glass". 😄

1615395616609.png

I wonder how much of dealers' questionable pricing of options on used Teslas can be blamed on pricing tools like the Kelly Blue Book estimator tool not pricing them appropriately.

To test how KBB assesses the value of EAP and FSD, I did a quick test. Here are the actual KBB estimated trade-in and private sale values for my 2018 Model 3 with various configurations of EAP and FSD options. (It lets you select each independently of the other, which should be an early warning sign that the estimated values won't be right.)

View attachment 643305

So, to summarize...
-EAP is only worth $896-$1006
-FSD (by itself) is only worth $1084-$1218
-EAP and FSD together are worth $1980-$2224 (even though you can't really have both on the same vehicle)

Actually, you can have EAP and FSD on the same vehicle in 2018 as they were separate options. What KBB should do is have EAP added automatically once FSD is selected as you can't have FSD without EAP. However, you can have EAP without FSD.

Maybe things will change once FSD is actually FSD, but those kbb estimates are valid, as that's what many dealers use. FSD seems, so far, to have been a questionable investment. The car keeps 75% of its value, but FSD keeps less than 20% of its value. Let's see what happens when the beta goes very wide.

Reactions: vickh
I actually spoke to Carvana and Vroom this week. Vroom states they are not allowed to show FSD or even autopilot as it usually gets stripped once registered. I explained that is incorrect and it would help sell cars if they showed the options screen.

Carvana on the other hand understood and we spoke for an hour. He is going to try and get all Teslas updated to reflect the actual car specs. I showed him an SR+ was $52k with no options on it..

I actually spoke to Carvana and Vroom this week. Vroom states they are not allowed to show FSD or even autopilot as it usually gets stripped once registered. I explained that is incorrect and it would help sell cars if they showed the options screen.
This may actually be true for Vroom, if it is true as mentioned in the thread below that they buy their Teslas through auction (and the Tesla in question went through Tesla's hands). Tesla does strip software options from the car when it goes through auction. However, that change should have went through already if Vroom already has the car in their possession (it may be a case of Vroom listing the cars based on Monroney sticker and not what is actually shown on the screen and getting burned in the past).
Can anyone help with used purchase questions

There was also a period where Tesla "audited" cars and removed FSD from cars that got it for free accidentally (even though they never paid for the option). That may also be part of the ones that got reported as Tesla removing features after sale.
Carvana on the other hand understood and we spoke for an hour. He is going to try and get all Teslas updated to reflect the actual car specs. I showed him an SR+ was $52k with no options on it..

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I'm glad you got through to someone at Carvana about this. I spoke to them and apparently had the wrong person, who did not seem to care much. I was even pointing out a case where they were underpricing a car by a lot.

I recently got my SR+ from Vroom... Was an awesome experience. You just have to research and pick the right car at the right price, they were def all over the place with pricing. My car also listed as having "Autopilot"

Getting any further information or pictures other than what was on the website was next to impossible though.