Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, not at all. Buying used from Tesla is a pure gamble. It may work out but it also may backfire on you hard. With that said, yes, they do have the warranty and will fix most issues, but it's still a gamble.

I feel I got lucky. Within 6 or so months after getting a used S from Tesla, I only had about 4 mobile tech visits and 3 service center trips. So yeah, if I could go back in time, I'd slap myself and tell me to buy another car (not tesla).
Cross your fingers for me, man

Reactions: cucubits
Just checked the car out at the parking lot they parked it in. Looks good except 1 side of the car (passenger side) is in "very low" suspension setting and the driver's side appears to be at normal setting. Hmmmmmmm...
"All parts have arrived at the repair center" to repair the car. I will receive a call "by EOD tomorrow" about the car...
Hope they noticed the broken air suspension?!!

just to add: I was told yesterday that a door camera and some trim needed replacing (d/t hail damage). Those actually looked legit so not sure if they just didn't tell me the air suspension is broken or I cannot visually diagnose the problems with the camera and they missed the air suspension problem.

8/19/2020: (after 3 days of daily calls to the used tesla customer support): Used Tesla Delivery Update- Hi we reached out to our team and they indicated they are working on the car today, they said they would follow up with us on the progress later on today, but just wanted to keep you in the loop. They indicated there were dents from hail damaged that had to be fixed and a few sensors on the side of the car needed to be replaced (parts are now on site). We will follow up when we have another update from them. Our team gave us an update that they need to fix some of the chrome trim that was damaged by hail damage as well. As of now they don't have a date for completion. We will keep you updated as we hear more.

Wait...no completion date? Wtf?? Like, there is literally no reason why the date should be indefinite. I can even estimate my lifespan, but Tesla cannot estimate the date they can finish work on a car so they can sell it to me?

Also, no mention at all of the suspension issue. Please, correct me if I am wrong: there is a problem with the non-adaptive air suspension if only the front and rear passenger-side are lowered to very low. The driver's side front and rear is at normal height. I suspect there is a suspension leak but maybe this is normal.

8/19/2020: (after 3 days of daily calls to the used tesla customer support): Used Tesla Delivery Update- Hi we reached out to our team and they indicated they are working on the car today, they said they would follow up with us on the progress later on today, but just wanted to keep you in the loop. They indicated there were dents from hail damaged that had to be fixed and a few sensors on the side of the car needed to be replaced (parts are now on site). We will follow up when we have another update from them. Our team gave us an update that they need to fix some of the chrome trim that was damaged by hail damage as well. As of now they don't have a date for completion. We will keep you updated as we hear more.

Wait...no completion date? Wtf?? Like, there is literally no reason why the date should be indefinite. I can even estimate my lifespan, but Tesla cannot estimate the date they can finish work on a car so they can sell it to me?

Also, no mention at all of the suspension issue. Please, correct me if I am wrong: there is a problem with the non-adaptive air suspension if only the front and rear passenger-side are lowered to very low. The driver's side front and rear is at normal height. I suspect there is a suspension leak but maybe this is normal.

So still not enough red flags to make you walk away? :confused:

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
One of the richest dudes alive didn't get rich by hiring an army of service techs and customer service reps to placate needy customers. He probably only understands timelines in quarters anyway...

Quite frankly, Tesla atm doesn't need me nor any other used buyers. The program is vestigial and probably already entering its twilight.

Won't stop me, though. Hypothetically ignore me all you want, Future Mr. Musk! I will not stop until I am speeding away in my red 2017 Model S P100D!!

K so 8/25 they looked at the air suspension at my behest and have determined there is nothing wrong with it. "The car may have sat for a long time. When you turn it on, it fixes it." So, do I insist on them repairing it now? Or do I take it back in 6 months when the leak is worse? Is an air suspension leak a warranty-covered item?

8/27/2020: 15 days after clicking "order," I finally got the car. Everything is good except it hella smells like dog. But yeah: it's fast and red! But not fast at charging. 3 miles/hour might not be fast enough...

15985700824915522100186507873869-jpg.581502

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-27_18-18-8.png
    upload_2020-8-27_18-18-8.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 79
  • upload_2020-8-27_18-18-26.png
    upload_2020-8-27_18-18-26.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 56
Reactions: petergy and rafacq
Oh man. Maybe the San Diego location is busy. Most of the used cars I saw listed were either Diego or San Francisco. Hopefully Massachusetts is moving.
I’m in Texas and my car was in San Diego. I chose to go pick it up. Best decision I made. Although the purchase experience wasn’t perfect, the delivery was great. 13 days from deposit to delivery.

To everyone buying, be patient! Once you get your car, all your buying pains will go away! The car is a dream come true.
E224275A-3979-448D-8E63-C687CD1FA171.jpeg

and the update:
the air suspension that they assured me was fine is now leaking so badly that half the car is almost touching the wheels after being parked for only 4 hours. Also, the compressor runs multiple times per trip and also after just parking it runs >3 times in only 10 minutes.

20200910_124428.jpg
20200910_124442.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: rafacq
and the update:
the air suspension that they assured me was fine is now leaking so badly that half the car is almost touching the wheels after being parked for only 4 hours. Also, the compressor runs multiple times per trip and also after just parking it runs >3 times in only 10 minutes.

Sorry about the troubles, but...

Gonna yolo it - delivery @ 16:00 CST on 8/27/2020!

:p

and the update:

View attachment 586857 View attachment 586858

I was afraid of air suspension failures so I bought a car without it, even though I bought used from Tesla and have the 4 year warranty.

Is your car in warranty? Good luck. Keep us posted.

I was afraid of air suspension failures so I bought a car without it, even though I bought used from Tesla and have the 4 year warranty.

Is your car in warranty? Good luck. Keep us posted.

It has almost 30k miles and is a 2017, so it should still have the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It should also have the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty. And they told me it was fine when I specifically asked about it before buying the car.

Now it's in Jack Mode all by itself after being parked for 9 hours...definitely not fine. So I'm sure they'll fix it under warranty.

Reactions: rafacq
It has almost 30k miles and is a 2017, so it should still have the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It should also have the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty. And they told me it was fine when I specifically asked about it before buying the car.

Now it's in Jack Mode all by itself after being parked for 9 hours...definitely not fine. So I'm sure they'll fix it under warranty.

Did you buy from Tesla? If so it will be under warranty. Good luck. Keep us posted.