Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you buy from Tesla? If so it will be under warranty. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Tesla replaced a rear strut, which seems to have resolved the leaking problem. They did not replace the taillights (which get moisture in them) because "moisture wasn't present."

Now, I have to figure out what this grinding noise, which happens only on hard acceleration, is.

Hey all. Wanted to add my take here and also thank all those who posted as this helped me decide on my 2017 used MS 100D. I know there are some hits and misses and it was rolling a dice. From my recent and first experience though, mine went near textbook and hoping it is more norm for those reading than the opposite. I was in the same boat as many, used vs new MS LR+.

Reason for this specific used one:
- Overall price for feature was less, approx. $15k less sticker (Taking features and some depreciation for age)
- Features: Sunroof(!!), red with black carbon fiber interior (on a non performance), FSD included, HW upgradable to 3.0/MCU2
- Low Mileage
- 4yr/50k miles warranty after delivery from Tesla

Concerns:
- Postings here of bad experience with used car sales and condition.
- Removing of pictures
- Release of a new/refreshed MS with something I really want

Helped Decide:
- Sales team at the Plano, TX center were great. They did not care if I bought new or used. Told me if there were any issues, I can come find them and they would try to help. If there were any feature/functionality questions after purchase, just come to them.
- Actually had my eye on the car from Tesla.com (used) for awhile and kept watching the price drop.
- Saw the original pictures before removed from tesla.com. 2 other sites still had the pictures.
- https://tesla-info.com/car/<vin> really helped. Listed all feature of the car in detail. Not sure what feeds it but my VIN came right up but others did not.
- Tesla.com used car "Reach out" assigned a used car coordinator and she responded pretty fast to all my pre-sales questions. She also was available to answer my other questions after purchase before delivery.

After Ordering notes
- Car was coming from Tampa to Dallas. Took 1.5-2 weeks transport.
- Waited until last minute to pay off the car but yes, had to do before taking delivery
- Tesla required insurance on the vehicle prior to delivery so paid a week of car insurance without the car.
- Communications were good actually between the text messages, emails, and the used car coordinator. Only complaint was the lack of expectations of where and when some of the updates came. Partially due to my impatience probably.
- (Big one) The sales associate who helped me at the showroom also worked at the delivery center. When I told him we bought the used one and its arrival date, he said he would be at the delivery center to check it out and help me take delivery. He even got me in a day early as we were concerned about rain the scheduled day of delivery. Already helped on certain how features work vs bugs in software items :)
- Car came in near perfect condition. No mechanical issues. 2 minor cosmetic items I am picky about. Already scheduled my MCU2/AP HW 3 upgrade. (Let's see how my first service experience goes).

Car drives awesome. Looking forward to not standing out in the winter windy cold filling up gas this year.
Thanks again all for the help in this forum! Hope this posting helps someone along the way.

• Informative
Reactions: TimT
Hey all. Wanted to add my take here and also thank all those who posted as this helped me decide on my 2017 used MS 100D. I know there are some hits and misses and it was rolling a dice. From my recent and first experience though, mine went near textbook and hoping it is more norm for those reading than the opposite. I was in the same boat as many, used vs new MS LR+.

Reason for this specific used one:
- Overall price for feature was less, approx. $15k less sticker (Taking features and some depreciation for age)
- Features: Sunroof(!!), red with black carbon fiber interior (on a non performance), FSD included, HW upgradable to 3.0/MCU2
- Low Mileage
- 4yr/50k miles warranty after delivery from Tesla

Concerns:
- Postings here of bad experience with used car sales and condition.
- Removing of pictures
- Release of a new/refreshed MS with something I really want

Helped Decide:
- Sales team at the Plano, TX center were great. They did not care if I bought new or used. Told me if there were any issues, I can come find them and they would try to help. If there were any feature/functionality questions after purchase, just come to them.
- Actually had my eye on the car from Tesla.com (used) for awhile and kept watching the price drop.
- Saw the original pictures before removed from tesla.com. 2 other sites still had the pictures.
- https://tesla-info.com/car/<vin> really helped. Listed all feature of the car in detail. Not sure what feeds it but my VIN came right up but others did not.
- Tesla.com used car "Reach out" assigned a used car coordinator and she responded pretty fast to all my pre-sales questions. She also was available to answer my other questions after purchase before delivery.

After Ordering notes
- Car was coming from Tampa to Dallas. Took 1.5-2 weeks transport.
- Waited until last minute to pay off the car but yes, had to do before taking delivery
- Tesla required insurance on the vehicle prior to delivery so paid a week of car insurance without the car.
- Communications were good actually between the text messages, emails, and the used car coordinator. Only complaint was the lack of expectations of where and when some of the updates came. Partially due to my impatience probably.
- (Big one) The sales associate who helped me at the showroom also worked at the delivery center. When I told him we bought the used one and its arrival date, he said he would be at the delivery center to check it out and help me take delivery. He even got me in a day early as we were concerned about rain the scheduled day of delivery. Already helped on certain how features work vs bugs in software items :)
- Car came in near perfect condition. No mechanical issues. 2 minor cosmetic items I am picky about. Already scheduled my MCU2/AP HW 3 upgrade. (Let's see how my first service experience goes).

Car drives awesome. Looking forward to not standing out in the winter windy cold filling up gas this year.
Thanks again all for the help in this forum! Hope this posting helps someone along the way.
Awesome! So far I like the car...does yours make a "thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk" noise rapidly, from the front, on hard acceleration? Thinking about it just now that sounds a lot like a failing CV joint, come to think of it! Love the car, though.

Awesome! So far I like the car...does yours make a "thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk" noise rapidly, from the front, on hard acceleration? Thinking about it just now that sounds a lot like a failing CV joint, come to think of it! Love the car, though.
Are you sure you aren’t hearing the death rattle from the front motor mounts. There’s a tsb about that.

Reactions: rafacq
I am sure of nothing. I'll look for that thread! Thanks!
My guess is that if you’re only hearing it on hard accel it’s the front motor mounts which Tesla will replace under warranty. Takes about 1 day as they have to replace the half shafts and clevis mounts. Search death rattle here or shudder on hard acceleration. Lots of videos with the sound included.

Well started my process 9/24/20 on a 2015 85D with 50k miles for 39k so cant really complain. Trade in paperwork sent in overnight yesterday and now just waiting for the process to go through. Car was in Atlanta and is supposed to be moved to San Antonio, no word on if its even been moved yet. 15 days into it with the car needing to be added to my insurance and my first payment on my Tesla due in 3 weeks so should be interesting! It came with the old spoke tires and already ordered a set of 4 SlipStream tires off ebay for 1200 dollars including rims,tires,everything so happy about that! Already ordered and arrived a chadmo adapter and every conceivable adapters for 14-50,j117, and the various other probable outlet types for possible camping and cross country trips for the gen 1 mobile adapter. Already got the gen 3 home charger installed on a 60 amp circuit. Window Shades, key fob covers, etc already arrived for it.

The vehicle comes with every option but the premium sound, so thinking I will install a subwoofer into the car or some sort of audio upgrade. Hope to join in on the tesla owner experience and hope its not a terrible ride! Pretty nervous! Know its hit or miss with Tesla.

So after looking at peoples experiences and seeing that calling them directly is the recommended way to go, the vehicle is still sitting in Atlanta with an open transfer request, with no known ETA on when the vehicle will even be moved down to Texas. So still 2 weeks away it seems.

So after looking at peoples experiences and seeing that calling them directly is the recommended way to go, the vehicle is still sitting in Atlanta with an open transfer request, with no known ETA on when the vehicle will even be moved down to Texas. So still 2 weeks away it seems.

So, looked back at my timeline. I ordered online 9/8 (yes, talking to them directly for questions helps). Received the car 9/20. Tampa->Dallas. There is a little lag in there on communications and then about a week later, I get a text (not email or call) that "my car is being ready for transport. ETA week of 9/21. More exact date to come." (paraphrasing). I did everything that was needed except the final payment.

Randomly, a few day later, I get a text that my delivery appointment has been scheduled for 9/21. As I noted previously, there was not really an expectation of what communications I would get or what channel it would come on. At this point, in my case, I reached out to the local delivery site and they took care of my delivery questions from that point forward as they were associated to the sales center and knew I had purchased. Unfortunately, I am guessing this does not apply to all locations/regions.

Oh, I did learn that once the car is enroute, one of the texts has a phone number for a "Delivery team" that can answer questions and not 100% sure but you might be able to reply to the text as well and it gets answered. I just discovered the service text for my upcoming MCU2 upgrade is reply-able and they answered my question via text back.

I have honestly told a lot of friends now that I enjoy driving again with my MS.

• Informative
Well started my process 9/24/20 on a 2015 85D with 50k miles for 39k so cant really complain. Trade in paperwork sent in overnight yesterday and now just waiting for the process to go through. Car was in Atlanta and is supposed to be moved to San Antonio, no word on if its even been moved yet. 15 days into it with the car needing to be added to my insurance and my first payment on my Tesla due in 3 weeks so should be interesting! It came with the old spoke tires and already ordered a set of 4 SlipStream tires off ebay for 1200 dollars including rims,tires,everything so happy about that! Already ordered and arrived a chadmo adapter and every conceivable adapters for 14-50,j117, and the various other probable outlet types for possible camping and cross country trips for the gen 1 mobile adapter. Already got the gen 3 home charger installed on a 60 amp circuit. Window Shades, key fob covers, etc already arrived for it.

The vehicle comes with every option but the premium sound, so thinking I will install a subwoofer into the car or some sort of audio upgrade. Hope to join in on the tesla owner experience and hope its not a terrible ride! Pretty nervous! Know its hit or miss with Tesla.

congratulations. I bought my 2015 S85D with 12,004 miles in April 2019. Love it.

Mine was in San Diego and I decided to fly there to pick it up and drive it back to Dallas. Had a great time driving it back. Saved 2-3 weeks waiting that would have killed me! LOL. It took 13 days from placing my order to delivery.

Tell us more about the car. Would love to see pictures once you get it. Here’s Lazuli at the stockyards.
57237D32-D1B5-41D3-A0EB-DB75B20D9FC0.jpeg

So, looked back at my timeline. I ordered online 9/8 (yes, talking to them directly for questions helps). Received the car 9/20. Tampa->Dallas. There is a little lag in there on communications and then about a week later, I get a text (not email or call) that "my car is being ready for transport. ETA week of 9/21. More exact date to come." (paraphrasing). I did everything that was needed except the final payment.

Randomly, a few day later, I get a text that my delivery appointment has been scheduled for 9/21. As I noted previously, there was not really an expectation of what communications I would get or what channel it would come on. At this point, in my case, I reached out to the local delivery site and they took care of my delivery questions from that point forward as they were associated to the sales center and knew I had purchased. Unfortunately, I am guessing this does not apply to all locations/regions.

Oh, I did learn that once the car is enroute, one of the texts has a phone number for a "Delivery team" that can answer questions and not 100% sure but you might be able to reply to the text as well and it gets answered. I just discovered the service text for my upcoming MCU2 upgrade is reply-able and they answered my question via text back.

I have honestly told a lot of friends now that I enjoy driving again with my MS.

Got a text saying my vehicle is expected to arrive by 10/18 so here is hoping the process is starting to take off a bit.

Are you sure you aren’t hearing the death rattle from the front motor mounts. There’s a tsb about that.

"Replace[d] LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And
Both Front Halfshafts."

Took about 24h. Seems like they knew exactly what was wrong. All under warranty.

Only downside was the loaner vehicle was a P85 with glitched sound/"What's New In This Update" incessantly popped up on the screen, so there was no audio whatsoever and the screen wasn't really usable. And the vehicle was noticibly dirty inside. But still A+ for Tesla. :D

Reactions: JoeCW
Only downside was the loaner vehicle was a P85 with glitched sound/"What's New In This Update" incessantly popped up on the screen, so there was no audio whatsoever and the screen wasn't really usable. And the vehicle was noticibly dirty inside. But still A+ for Tesla. :D

Just got my car back from getting my first service (MCU2/AP3.0 upgrade, minor other items). The Plano, TX team was great, not only completed the upgrade efficiently, no issues, they took care of a few small cosmetic items, and were very responsive to updates along the way. The service advisor even came out the check on me when he saw I was still hanging out trying to get my phone paired again.

I totally agree with @waiting4used that the downside was the loaner for me as well. Got a P85D in rough shape (rattle noises, warn out interior) and it was locked down so acceleration was set to chill and some other settings I prefer were locked out. Also, the ride difference between my 100D and P85D was way noticeable, unsure if it is the P85 of some older year to my 2017 100D or the car itself being worn.

All-in-all though, the service experience was above previous, other car company experience. I did not feel like I was part of a herd. Nice touchless service process and bonus was that I could pick up my car anytime and drop the loaner, even after hours!

Last edited:
Good luck!

Got her!!

Took a bit to figure out to get Auto Pilot to turn on and get her all configured. The previous owner a lady by the name of Jill took care of it! Car was impeccable! No defects of anykind, still has the new car leather smell for a 2015, just an amazing car! Loved every minute of it! Took her 45 minutes to get charge while charging to continue the trip at a super charger while we were traveling. An amazing car brought a huge smile to my face!

Attachments

• mys.jpg
    mys.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: rafacq and JoeCW
Got her!!

Took a bit to figure out to get Auto Pilot to turn on and get her all configured. The previous owner a lady by the name of Jill took care of it! Car was impeccable! No defects of anykind, still has the new car leather smell for a 2015, just an amazing car! Loved every minute of it! Took her 45 minutes to get charge while charging to continue the trip at a super charger while we were traveling. An amazing car brought a huge smile to my face!

Congratulations? Is that the Dark Blue Metallic? What’s the build date?