Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Delivery from Cali to TX

Did you receive less than 3 weeks from purchase date for multi-state?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having a pretty bad experience with the used delivery through Tesla. Ordered and paid for on 6/18/20 and still haven’t received my car yet. The car is still in Cali and they can’t tell me why! One guy is saying it takes 4 days once loaded on the truck and another is saying it takes 2 days. It’s pretty frustrating especially when they made me buy insurance on 6/24 and paid 2k for transport. If I would’ve received my car by now, within the 3 week range as told, then I wouldn’t complain about the 2k but it’s approaching the 3rd week tmrw and it’s still not in transit yet! I’m just annoyed at this point because my car is totaled so I have no car.

Sorry you're experiencing this. Sadly, your story isn't unique and is rather the rule than the exception. Chances are pretty good your car is unharmed and not damaged but that doesn't mean that anyone at Tesla will be able to give you any real idea where it is or when you can expect it because the truth is that nobody you talk to has seen the car in person nor do they know anything about the actual logistics involving your purchase. We've bought three used cars from Tesla and each one was more of a disaster than the previous. This included a myriad of issues to include lost title work for half a year and "accidentally" shipping two of them one of which they informed us (via email!) at 10:00pm that our appointment in San Diego the next morning wasn't happening. Our flight was less than 8-hours away. As a result our last two most recent used Model S were bought private party.

Tesla has ZERO desire to sell used cars which is immediately apparent to anyone who tries to buy one. If you search this forum you'll see that I often tell people to expect to not take delivery until a full month from the moment you click "buy now" and give them your deposit. In some cases this happens in less time in which case... great. Most see upwards of four weeks as more of an average and some can take even longer. This is why I try to set people's expectation to a more realistic time frame than what a normal used car buying experience is like. Most aren't used to waiting a duration measured in weeks to take delivery of a used vehicle they buy. This is how Tesla is "changing the way people buy cars" which isn't always positive as you've already experienced.

If you're not happy with this treatment I would advise searching how bad the Tesla "customer service" support is after they have your money and you need them for warranty work. If you think it's bad how they treat customers before they have your money when there's incentive to take care of you and treat you well think of how bad it gets once they already have your money. It's about five times worse than whatever you're currently picturing. For as good as the cars are the company is equally bad which is saying something because the cars are legendarily good.

Tesla has a REAL problem and they need to address it.

Oh wow! I’m actually worried if there are any issues with the car now. Yikes. Buying a car you haven’t seen is definitely a gamble but I figured if I bought it straight from Tesla, it would be a low risk but after hearing your story kind of worries me now. The car is set to be delivered to TX the weekend of the 18th so we’ll see. Thanks for your input!

Oh wow! I’m actually worried if there are any issues with the car now. Yikes. Buying a car you haven’t seen is definitely a gamble but I figured if I bought it straight from Tesla, it would be a low risk but after hearing your story kind of worries me now. The car is set to be delivered to TX the weekend of the 18th so we’ll see. Thanks for your input!
Sorry you're experiencing this. Sadly, your story isn't unique and is rather the rule than the exception. Chances are pretty good your car is unharmed and not damaged but that doesn't mean that anyone at Tesla will be able to give you any real idea where it is or when you can expect it because the truth is that nobody you talk to has seen the car in person nor do they know anything about the actual logistics involving your purchase. We've bought three used cars from Tesla and each one was more of a disaster than the previous. This included a myriad of issues to include lost title work for half a year and "accidentally" shipping two of them one of which they informed us (via email!) at 10:00pm that our appointment in San Diego the next morning wasn't happening. Our flight was less than 8-hours away. As a result our last two most recent used Model S were bought private party.

Tesla has ZERO desire to sell used cars which is immediately apparent to anyone who tries to buy one. If you search this forum you'll see that I often tell people to expect to not take delivery until a full month from the moment you click "buy now" and give them your deposit. In some cases this happens in less time in which case... great. Most see upwards of four weeks as more of an average and some can take even longer. This is why I try to set people's expectation to a more realistic time frame than what a normal used car buying experience is like. Most aren't used to waiting a duration measured in weeks to take delivery of a used vehicle they buy. This is how Tesla is "changing the way people buy cars" which isn't always positive as you've already experienced.

If you're not happy with this treatment I would advise searching how bad the Tesla "customer service" support is after they have your money and you need them for warranty work. If you think it's bad how they treat customers before they have your money when there's incentive to take care of you and treat you well think of how bad it gets once they already have your money. It's about five times worse than whatever you're currently picturing. For as good as the cars are the company is equally bad which is saying something because the cars are legendarily good.

I ordered a 2020 Long Range Plus Model S before the factory closure. While the factory was closed I found one identical to the one i ordered in Denver. Instead of paying $2k for delivery. My wife and I flew to Denver and took delivery. We enjoyed the drive back to Las Vegas. The biggest hassle was trading my 2013 P85+ in at the Las Vegas Service Center. They insisted that the trade-in needed to happen the same day as the delivery. I really helpful man in Denver worked hard to get the Las Vegas center to accept the trade-in a day early.

I ordered a 2020 Long Range Plus Model S before the factory closure. While the factory was closed I found one identical to the one i ordered in Denver. Instead of paying $2k for delivery. My wife and I flew to Denver and took delivery. We enjoyed the drive back to Las Vegas. The biggest hassle was trading my 2013 P85+ in at the Las Vegas Service Center. They insisted that the trade-in needed to happen the same day as the delivery. I really helpful man in Denver worked hard to get the Las Vegas center to accept the trade-in a day early.

I would’ve flown out to get it too but due to COVID, I was afraid to fly. Do you experience any wind noise on the driver side?