Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Delivery, Required in WA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the process of buying a used Model S from Tesla. I live in WA, car is in IL. I planned to spend $100 for a one-way flight and FSD myself across the country. However, sales just informed me the car MUST be delivered, for a $2000 fee - see bottom but something about getting a temp tag. Anyone have insight into this before I push back? Alternative suggestions? Can I list my “delivery” address in another state that doesn't have this “requirement.” Note I have no problem registering and paying WA sales tax...I just don't want to pay for delivery. And frankly, I think a 2k mile trip with my new toy would be fun.

Sales said, “Unfortunately with Washington, it is a requirement to take delivery in Washington state, it is one of two states with the mandate, since they will not provide you with temporary registration on the vehicle unless physical delivery happens in Washington. If you decide to take delivery in Illinois, you will have to keep the vehicle garaged for upwards of 60 days since you will not have any tags.”

I heard the same story a month ago when I wanted to buy one from Cali, and then found the one I currently drive in Dallas. I wanted to fly to get it, but both were no dice with the same story. I asked about one in Portland, and said I can get to portland faster than I could get to Renton, so why would I pay delivery? They said I could probably pick up in Portland since it's a neighboring state.

I ended up buying from Dallas and waiting a few weeks for them to get around to shipping it up to Renton. Once it was on the truck, communication was great though. Still stung to pay $2k delivery.