Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used inventory on tesla site for < 50k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now used MX on tesla.com starts at around 55k and goes up from there.
I am waiting for the day when they will be listed under 50k. When do you guys think that will happen?
Later this year? Next year? Never?

I would think that as the higher mileage and older ones come to market, prices should drop right?

I'm also in the market and hoping to buy a 2017 MX 90D in the low 60s. I've got until April to make a purchase. ev-cpo has some historical numbers worth checking out. I've been looking since March 2019. My gut says average $200 drop per month?

delete evcpo.png

Reactions: EV-CPO
At a certain point, Tesla will end up sending them to auction (depending on how long they've been in inventory and if it will make sense for them to retain it).. Yes, they will continue to come down, eventually, but, also, be aware that the longer you wait, the more likely chance someone else will buy it out...

And, Tesla also plays with pricing constantly - they will lower the pricing, then, the next day, they shoot up, and then come back down.. It's a roller coaster.

When I bought my inventory X in July, it took scouring the various inventory aggregator sites constantly until I could put a deposit on one.

Reactions: jacqueusi
I am waiting for the day when they will be listed under 50k. When do you guys think that will happen?

I would think that as the higher mileage and older ones come to market, prices should drop right?

I think this will be the year that we'll start seeing Xs dip below $50k but those will be lower end, bare bones models and not in the greatest condition (I've seen cars with bubbling paint, dents and heavy scratches come up for sale). However, keep in mind the $2k delivery fee if you don't pick up the vehicle and with higher mileage, you'll be limited to the 2 year, up to 100k mile warranty.

There's another site that aggregates used Tesla data: TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory
It's not nearly as nice as EV-CPO Hunter but it will show you historical data so you can get an idea of how pricing changes. What I noticed was that they drop the price daily by a small amount until the car sells. You'll see cars pop back up too if someone bailed on their reservation. Just be diligent about looking and something will come up.

I was in the same boat as you for the longest time until my wife's old car gave out. We lucked out with a great condition Silver 2016 75D with only 33k miles all the options we wanted for $56k and a 4 year, 50k mile warranty. And it was located a few hours away so I picked it up with no hassle.

One question though: if you're okay with higher mileage, why not also look at private party or auction?

Reactions: xanatos
There's another site that aggregates used Tesla data: TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory
It's not nearly as nice as EV-CPO Hunter but it will show you historical data so you can get an idea of how pricing changes. What I noticed was that they drop the price daily by a small amount until the car sells.

Thanks for your feedback. Just FYI, EV-CPO also tracks price changes by the hour. All price changes and charts are available by clicking the "$" icon in the listings, as shown below, for example. Also, price change alerts are sent out immediately via email and/or SMS for subscribers.

upload_2020-1-29_11-8-21.png

Reactions: VikH
When Model Y's are readily available, that will create an alternative.
When each new rev of Model X becomes available that will add to depreciation of older versions.
We are seeing hardware 2.0 cars arrive on market from 3 year leases. Next tic, is HW 2.5 that was first available August 2017. After that is MCU 2, that was first available March 2018.

Remember if you are buying AP1, Elon says you are buying a horse.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Last edited:
I think this will be the year that we'll start seeing Xs dip below $50k but those will be lower end, bare bones models and not in the greatest condition (I've seen cars with bubbling paint, dents and heavy scratches come up for sale). However, keep in mind the $2k delivery fee if you don't pick up the vehicle and with higher mileage, you'll be limited to the 2 year, up to 100k mile warranty.

It's not nearly as nice as EV-CPO Hunter but it will show you historical data so you can get an idea of how pricing changes. What I noticed was that they drop the price daily by a small amount until the car sells. You'll see cars pop back up too if someone bailed on their reservation. Just be diligent about looking and something will come up.

I was in the same boat as you for the longest time until my wife's old car gave out. We lucked out with a great condition Silver 2016 75D with only 33k miles all the options we wanted for $56k and a 4 year, 50k mile warranty. And it was located a few hours away so I picked it up with no hassle.

One question though: if you're okay with higher mileage, why not also look at private party or auction?
Main reason for avoiding private party is I need the CPO warranty from Tesla. My first Tesla was a 2012 CPO MS and that was in the shop pretty much every couple of months. Can't imagine what the repair costs would have been if I hadn't gotten it from the factory.

Thanks for your feedback. Just FYI, EV-CPO also tracks price changes by the hour. All price changes and charts are available by clicking the "$" icon in the listings, as shown below, for example. Also, price change alerts are sent out immediately via email and/or SMS for subscribers.

View attachment 505525
whoa, been using this site since 2016 and never realized you can do this. thanks!

Main reason for avoiding private party is I need the CPO warranty from Tesla. My first Tesla was a 2012 CPO MS and that was in the shop pretty much every couple of months. Can't imagine what the repair costs would have been if I hadn't gotten it from the factory.
Agreed. Not having warranty would be kind of scary, given how relatively more unreliable MX is. I'm still a bit scared since my warranty is only 2 years, not 4. But we'll see how it goes...

Congrats, Covid panic has done it before Model Y. Currently two listed.
TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory
TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory