Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Lamborghini or New Roadster (which is cheaper long term)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how do people decide if they want to buy an exotic car when they have the money to do so? My parents have more than enough money to buy 2 Lamborghinis if they wanted to, but they have not. My dad bought two Mercedes since 2018 in cash, and still has enough left over.

But for those who decided to order the roadster, or know how buying an exotic car works, what numbers do you put in? This Lamborghini Huracan in this ad is $144k, 5 years old, 48k miles. Looking at it, I think this 5 yr old Huracan would get more attention out of most new cars bought around $144k, and most may think you spent alot more. But then I saw the repair cost, like $8000 for a new clutch. And it seems most knowledgable buyers buying used want low miles. I talked to Nyjah Huston about what he paid one time, he said low miles was his main thing b/c he bought a used Aventador.

But the Tesla Roadster is likely going to be faster (acceleration) than most entry level exotics, and on par with $1m hyper cars. But will be $200k new. But it seems EVs have less moving parts than gas based cars, so does that help reduce alot of maintenence cost that doesn't have to go on? I don't think EVs have a clutch, so that's like a routine $8000 discount. But I don't know much about the long term costs of cars. For me when I look at that ad, I see a really cool looking car for $144k and feel its undervalued. But I don't know if its because of potential costs down the road that this Lambo will have to encounter.

Plus would a rich gear head who likes loud cars even want to own a Tesla Roadster? I feel some of them may be turned off due to its minimalist design that's opposite of flashy / loud / baller of what most exotic car owners may like.

2015 LAMBORGHINI HURACAN LP610-4 FULLY CUSTOM, RED LEATHER INT. SRT8...

• Disagree
Reactions: smicker
There is a lot to unpack there.

I would say try to get some seat time for your folks in a M3 performance or something more readily available. They will either fall in love (or not)

I would also have to ask/wonder or try to find an Eliese to see how they fit. It is small beyond your imagination. Not easy to get in/out of (but maybe not the different than the lambo).

Everyone we let drive my wife MB 250e electric (similar drive to roadster) loves it and can't believe how nice it is.

The roadster makes cool sounds of its own and is so fun.

I love the roadster and couldn't wait to sell my track prepped NSX I adored and loved for 23 years.

The NSX was fun over 90 MPH.

The Roadster is just plan fun all the time.

Viper torque in a Lotus small package with manual steering and old school feel mashed up with Elon's science experiment.

Kind of hard to put into words.

Reactions: ra88it and drewski
You get as much looks in a roadster if not more than you do in a Ferrari or Lamborghini; moreover, the Ferrari and Lamborghini have to be convertibles. Especially with the new roadsters being released the old ones will gain much more attention.

The other thing is how many Porches, Lamborghini's, and Ferrari's are made. You search carfax for "Porsche" in a 200 mile radius you get 1,200 results.

Another thing is in a Porsche, Lamborghini, and Ferrari no one rolls down their windows to talk to you; because they all think you are a rich asshole, what average joe wants to up talk to a person in a lambo?? That's not how things work.

On the way to the shop to get the ppf installed a 8:00am two days ago and had at least 4 people roll down their windows at the lights to talk to me.

Cheaper maintenance in the long run is the roadster by far! That Lamborghini 2015 50k miles is already depreciating and will depreciate more when you are done with it at $144k plus tax, maintenance, service fees, and gas that is ludicrous.

img_7357-jpg.516934

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaNile
You get as much looks in a roadster if not more than you do in a Ferrari or Lamborghini; moreover, the Ferrari and Lamborghini have to be convertibles. Especially with the new roadsters being released the old ones will gain much more attention.

The other thing is how many Porches, Lamborghini's, and Ferrari's are made. You search carfax for "Porsche" in a 200 mile radius you get 1,200 results.

Another thing is in a Porsche, Lamborghini, and Ferrari no one rolls down their windows to talk to you; because they all think you are a rich asshole, what average joe wants to up talk to a person in a lambo?? That's not how things work.

On the way to the shop to get the ppf installed a 8:00am two days ago and had at least 4 people roll down their windows at the lights to talk to me.

Cheaper maintenance in the long run is the roadster by far! That Lamborghini 2015 50k miles is already depreciating and will depreciate more when you are done with it at $144k plus tax, maintenance, service fees, and gas that is ludicrous.

I have rented a Lamborghini Huracan, maybe 3 times, for about 2-3 hours each session. I've had high school kids heckle me for a race, people saying "nice car" or " wanna race". I've seen cars stop outta their way at stop signs to let me pass b/c maybe they wanna look at it longer or they're afraid to hit an expensive car. And you will notice random people on the sidewalk looking at you, like you have something unusual.

But after driving one, I realized this car is not made for comfort. Driving one for 2 hours was like getting off an commercial airplane, you get very motion sick. Or like riding a roller coaster multiple times in a row with no breaks. Also you have to be very attentive, can't be dumb with this car, it's so powerful I feel this car will kill me. And any long drive is going to get uncomfortable, def not the same as driving a normal BMW sedan or Tesla Model 3. If I somehow had this car to drive, I'd still choose to drive the Model 3 if I just need a normal car to drive b/c it's hard to daily drive an exotic.

I see people on Xbox fantacize about these cars b/c they liked seeing it on Forza Horizon 4. But they have no idea what its like to drive one. Which I will be scared if they have the wrong mentality if they ever got a chance to drive one b/c these cars are brutal and are not forgiving. If I drive one, I'm more focused on not crashing it and really being aware of my surroundings b/c this car is loud and has lots of blind spots. Its things like that makes me not wanna be stuck with a super expensive car that's always hard to drive. But I guess everything that makes the car inconvinient is what makes it cool, just like wearing a tuxedo is less comfortable than t-shirt & jeans.

That 2015 blue Lamborghini Huracan was one of the few under $150k I've seen.

Reactions: MXLRplus
There is a lot to unpack there.

I would say try to get some seat time for your folks in a M3 performance or something more readily available. They will either fall in love (or not)

I would also have to ask/wonder or try to find an Eliese to see how they fit. It is small beyond your imagination. Not easy to get in/out of (but maybe not the different than the lambo).

Everyone we let drive my wife MB 250e electric (similar drive to roadster) loves it and can't believe how nice it is.

The roadster makes cool sounds of its own and is so fun.

I love the roadster and couldn't wait to sell my track prepped NSX I adored and loved for 23 years.

The NSX was fun over 90 MPH.

The Roadster is just plan fun all the time.

Viper torque in a Lotus small package with manual steering and old school feel mashed up with Elon's science experiment.

Kind of hard to put into words.

I used to drive a BMW M3 Lime Rock. I wasn't a fan of driving it everyday, but I still had a Lexus GS before my sister crashed it, but at least it was old. Then I was stuck driving the BMW M3 all the time and it just wasn't practical.

I really enjoy driving the Model 3 more. It can drive normal and do autopilot when I'm tired, but still has tons of torque if I want to have that sports car thrill. Tesla feels like the only car you can have both a normal car & sports car. I prefer EV performance, better control. gas always lag, even if the most expensive gas cars.

Reactions: ICON
No regrets selling my 2.5 2011 Roadster whatsoever.
Where I live in Hong Kong it was unserviceable anyway.
I bought a M3P with what I got for the Roadster and I LOVE driving the Model 3 so much more.
Get a M3P and customize it - make it uniquely yours...

Used Lambo with 48k miles? No thanks.

Are you looking for a car to drive leisurely, track, or to gather attention? The Ferrari 360 and 430 are at about the lowest prices they will go. The 430 is a lot of car for money and less maintenance cost const compared to the 360. But....the F1 is not immune to issues. I'd always get a gated F car if I had the choice. Best "bargain" right now is the F458. With all of these cars if you buy them right you should be able to get a few years of use and lose essentially no money.

As they say....Ferrari is for class and a Lambo for ass....

So how do people decide if they want to buy an exotic car when they have the money to do so? My parents have more than enough money to buy 2 Lamborghinis if they wanted to, but they have not. My dad bought two Mercedes since 2018 in cash, and still has enough left over.

But for those who decided to order the roadster, or know how buying an exotic car works, what numbers do you put in? This Lamborghini Huracan in this ad is $144k, 5 years old, 48k miles. Looking at it, I think this 5 yr old Huracan would get more attention out of most new cars bought around $144k, and most may think you spent alot more. But then I saw the repair cost, like $8000 for a new clutch. And it seems most knowledgable buyers buying used want low miles. I talked to Nyjah Huston about what he paid one time, he said low miles was his main thing b/c he bought a used Aventador.

But the Tesla Roadster is likely going to be faster (acceleration) than most entry level exotics, and on par with $1m hyper cars. But will be $200k new. But it seems EVs have less moving parts than gas based cars, so does that help reduce alot of maintenence cost that doesn't have to go on? I don't think EVs have a clutch, so that's like a routine $8000 discount. But I don't know much about the long term costs of cars. For me when I look at that ad, I see a really cool looking car for $144k and feel its undervalued. But I don't know if its because of potential costs down the road that this Lambo will have to encounter.

Plus would a rich gear head who likes loud cars even want to own a Tesla Roadster? I feel some of them may be turned off due to its minimalist design that's opposite of flashy / loud / baller of what most exotic car owners may like.

2015 LAMBORGHINI HURACAN LP610-4 FULLY CUSTOM, RED LEATHER INT. SRT8...
I was hoping this thread would die a nice quiet death.

i'll bite my tongue and leave it at that...unless it gets brought up again...

Seems like you're looking for attention. Why not a Deloren or a Porsche or a McClaren? Hows about a Morgan Supercar or a Morgan 3 wheel or an old Pantera? As you want to go fast, why not a used Models S or X P100D, as both are way faster than the Roadster.

Buy A DIFFERENT Lambo [the one you're looking at looks like a loser and is out of the Warranty period], because if you abuse the Roadster you will be unable to get it serviced quickly.

Honestly though I agree with hanknum. I hate being cynical but this sounds like a cry for help.

• Funny
Reactions: X.l.r.8