Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used LR Early Build Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T3SLAROD

May 14, 2019
SoCal
I’m looking at picking up a 2018 LR with 4k miles for about the same price as a new SR+. It is an early build May 2018 Vin 018xxx. It will be purchased through Tesla’s used inventory and will be under warranty.

The extra range is obviously pushing me to buy used, but I am concerned about build quality. Any early build owners still around that would have waited if they had to do it over again?

Not really that early. I have an April 2018 and it's basically flawless outside of the trunk being misaligned, which Tesla fixed and covered in full (new trunk, new paint, install). Consistent gaps, paint is fine, seats fine, etc. I think the ones done in the mad rush during the summer had more issues than the spring ones. And frankly, early ones from 1+ year ago probably had the owner already address any issues with Tesla, so nothing to worry about going forward.

Not really that early. I have an April 2018 and it's basically flawless outside of the trunk being misaligned, which Tesla fixed and covered in full (new trunk, new paint, install). Consistent gaps, paint is fine, seats fine, etc. I think the ones done in the mad rush during the summer had more issues than the spring ones. And frankly, early ones from 1+ year ago probably had the owner already address any issues with Tesla, so nothing to worry about going forward.

Thank you, this helps

I’m looking at picking up a 2018 LR with 4k miles for about the same price as a new SR+. It is an early build May 2018 Vin 018xxx. It will be purchased through Tesla’s used inventory and will be under warranty.

The extra range is obviously pushing me to buy used, but I am concerned about build quality. Any early build owners still around that would have waited if they had to do it over again?

Like @kwest2 said, that's not that early. Although they did make some changes around the May/June time frame to some production procedure, you should be good. I have a June build Vin 033xxx build and besides a trunk gap that they took care of, everything is perfect. I'd say just do a routine check at delivery and hopefully you get a good discount. I wouldn't be too worried.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
May 2018 was basically the massive ramp-up, so there's less to worry about beyond VIN 10K. It was also when they put up the tent, but aside from the usual, now steadily-improving paint issues there weren't any major problems to come out of that timeframe. Maybe a few misaligned trunk seal gaps. Oh, the signature daytime running lights (aka eyebrows) were faulty from a large number of cars around this time period - probably something the owner already had replaced if affected.

Our VIN is 44xxx from July 2018. Zero service or quality issues thus far.

Our son's is from April 2018, I think. As far as I know, his has also been flawless, and that's closer to the one you're looking at.

If memory serves, around 20,000 or so, they improved the rear seats, so you might miss that.

I had one from May 2018. I only had it for 6 months before trading up to a P3D, but it was flawless at delivery and the only issue while I had it was a recalcitrant glovebox latch.

My father has one from June 2018 and he hasn't had any issues either.

I have a June 2018 build and she’s perfect. Love the range. She should have lifetime premium connectivity, too.

You'll have an orange rear window. Swooooon!

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

It'll be touch and go on having upgraded padding on the seats. The cut-over wasn't uniform, some were put in early, other later ones had the older seats. If you can get a picture of them ahead it is pretty easy to discern by the seam patterns.

Reactions: UTMB and Dana1
My early July RWD Vin 44xxxx is already a collectable. They are no longer making the Silver color, let alone the RWD. Whatever initial panel gaps it had, the SC took care of. I only have 6000 miles on mine, but wouldn't trade it for anything else. It has been pretty much trouble free.

Mine is VIN47xx. I probably couldn’t give it away. I would share a picture but am too embarrassed. Gaps look like a 7.0 earthquake hit the car.

My early 3LR is a blue March 2018 build, VIN 0047xx. Slight misalignment on the frunk lid, which was common, and will get fixed on the next maintenance, but other than that no issues. If yours has other misaligned panels, schedule service with Tesla, they can fix a lot of those items.

My other one is an August 2018 build P3D, black, VIN 00786xx. No issues on that one either.