TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Used LR Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cbologna, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Cbologna

Cbologna Member

I am currently being offered a Rebuilt Titled 2018 LR Model 3 with 7k miles on it for 35k. It doesn't have FSD, just basic AP. The dealership is offering a warranty on everything except the battery (3 year 50k mile) for 3k. The title is rebuilt because it was labeled as Flood Damaged. The guy is saying that it didn't get any water and that insurance just claimed it as a loss because of the flood zone it was in. I'm 90% sure im deff not going to do it, but i thought i would just get everyone opinion on it. Is considering buying a used Model 3 without a warranty worth it in general?

Thanks in advance.

2. shadow21

shadow21 Member

Not worth it, $35k can get you a brand new SR with a full warranty.

Insurance companies don’t usually cut checks for undamaged cars, so I wouldn’t believe their story.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

Can you not answer your own question

4. delfonique

delfonique Member

I agree with #2 too much risk in my opinion

5. Bluemoon3

Bluemoon3 Member

if you're the sort of car owner who keeps a vehicle until the wheels falls off and you're willing to accept some risk, it could be a good way to get a discount. I've definitely considered cars with a mark on the title, but it was for minor accidents, not anything related to water. I personally wouldn't do it. If you ever try to sell the car, it would be a real headache. I think it's also kind of nervy of them to sell you an additional warranty rather than simply include it. If they were confident the car never saw water, I feel like they would keep the original warranty term. You're looking at a car that is so reliant on electronics and would be costly to repair outside of warranty, that I personally wouldn't take the risk. If this were a 4Runner? sure by all means go for it. I think the equivalent risk for ICE is closer to an out of warranty, late model BMW M5 that may have seen water. Not the old analog M5's that are a mechanics dream, but the new electronic-everything M5's that plummet in value.

If you want a Model3 around that price, I would check out an SR+ in inventory right now. They've been popping up a lot lately especially outside of CA and if you're willing to travel a bit you could probably snag one before year end and still get the tax credit. I'd take a full warranty new SR+ over the LR you described in a second!

6. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

So Tesla is trying to tell you that this car was “technically” damaged - but nothing really crucial? Sorry, don’t believe them!

7. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Flood damage on a Tesla? Myself, I wouldn’t go above 50% of one in good condition, so maybe $20k. If it was any more than that, walk away. Many other options out there.

8. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Exactly. That’s not a deal at all. For 15k I would do it. But like another person here said, 35k is close to the 39k price of a new model.

9. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I can’t tell from the OP it the seller is Tesla or a third party. They refer to a “dealership”, which of course Tesla does not have. But some people refer to their local sales or delivery center as a dealership so who knows.

In any case, I’d say it’s worth $20-$25K at most. I paid $34K for my LR RWD in March after incentives and discounts so a damaged one can’t be worth $35K.