Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used LR MS 17 or LR M3 21?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at prob a 17 used MS from Tesla with FSD. If I go new 21 M3 prob wouldn't get FSD unless I got a used M3. My question is what would the 17 MS be missing?

If it had HW 2/2.5 it would be on the list to get upgraded right? The MCU? I still get 335 miles range vs 322/353...I mean the MS is just sexier, better suspension, 360 camera & front camera (wife wants), the MS has more options right?

I have been watching the M3 for a few years, so I am more familiar with all the changes than MS. Any helpful advice on this? The price difference is not a factor (for my wife), I will buy what I am told :p

Looking at prob a 17 used MS from Tesla with FSD. If I go new 21 M3 prob wouldn't get FSD unless I got a used M3. My question is what would the 17 MS be missing?

If it had HW 2/2.5 it would be on the list to get upgraded right? The MCU? I still get 335 miles range vs 322/353...I mean the MS is just sexier, better suspension, 360 camera & front camera (wife wants), the MS has more options right?

I have been watching the M3 for a few years, so I am more familiar with all the changes than MS. Any helpful advice on this? The price difference is not a factor (for my wife), I will buy what I am told :p

I sold my LR RWD 3 2018 about 2 months ago. Was going to lease a Y but after looking I settled on a 2017 75s. The range is about 100 miles less, the interior is a LOT nicer and I got air suspension so the ride quality is much improved. I purposefully got RWD and HW 2.5. There’s no question the S is better looking. The downsides are less efficient, bigger car, MCU 1, shorter warranty and less range. I bought from Tesla so it has FSD so I’m “future proof.” To upgrade to MCU2 it costs 2.5k and will cost more if I want FM radio function. I bought right before they decreased their used car warranty from 4 years to 1. In my opinion (again just mine and limited) the S has better value.

Reactions: Art VandeIay

Definitely get a new Model 3 (better yet a Model Y), much better battery technology with better thermal tolerance. Model Y interior space is not that different compare to a Model S, but Model Y is at a much lower cost.

Also, there are way too many horror stories about buying used car through Tesla (just search this forum or on Youtube), you cannot even see pictures or check out the car in person before you buy. Tesla also recently drastically reduced their used car warranty to only 1 year. Let alone all the MCU 1 issue, upgrade costs that you have to deal with if you get a used Model S or X.

If you still only love Model S, just get a brand new one from Tesla. Never buy used from them.

By the way, i don't think any Tesla has 360 camera view (as you back up or move forward).

Last edited:
Definitely get a new Model 3 (better yet a Model Y), much better battery technology with better thermal tolerance. Model Y interior space is not that different compare to a Model S, but Model Y is at a much lower cost.

Also, there are way too many horror stories about buying used car through Tesla (just search this forum or on Youtube), you cannot even see pictures or check out the car in person before you buy. Tesla also recently drastically reduced their used car warranty to only 1 year. Let alone all the MCU 1 issue, upgrade costs that you have to deal with if you get a used Model S or X.

If you still only love Model S, just get a brand new one from Tesla. Never buy used from them.

By the way, i don't think any Tesla has 360 camera view (as you back up or move forward).

Yes the decreased warranty does make it less appealing. There are sites you can actually see pictures of the cars (which is what I did for mine from Tesla) tesla-info.com and Teslacpo.com. Like I said before I owned a 2018 LR RWD 3 and it was a great car. I feel like with the S there are some advantages and disadvantages. If size matters the S is bigger inside and outside (which could be good or bad). I would test drive both as well to see what you prefer. Best of luck!