Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used M3 2019 Performance or new M3 2021 SR+?

Model 3: Used 2019 Performance or new SR+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, a bit of a dilemma here and sorry if this has been asked.

I am currently ordered for a new Model 3 SR+ with expected delivery at the end of June. I bought a base SR+, white exterior black interior. Essentially the cheapest options available, which came to ~$44.5k after tax.

However as I've gotten antsy and done more research I've been eyeing a used Model 3 Performance. Well tonight I found one on Carvana and pulled the trigger (have a 48h cancellation window available). The car is still white exterior, black interior, and I was able to get it for $52k after tax.

I live in Chicago so the additional range is definitely appealing, as well as AWD, but so does the rest of the Performance package.

Any thoughts here? Too expensive for a 2019 with 30k miles? Not worth the extra spend? Will the 2019 hold value better? Thanks!

Being in Chicago, you'll need to worry about the tires. The 20 inch tires on the M3P will need to be switched out to a set of winter tires for sure. Not sure if you have figured that into your costs or not but if you are stretching the budget, just something to think about.

Reactions: XPsionic
AWD would help with Chicago winters but if the price is this close, maybe getting new is a better idea. How much would a new AWD LR cost you?

Also, I've seen the roads in Chicago... the M3P with its stiffer suspension is not going to be enjoyable.

30k miles is not nothing either. Things will be squeaking and rattling on that M3P. A new one would get you better resale value later on.

Another important thing, Tesla always keeps improving things on the Model 3. 2019 vs 2021 is also significant.

Any thoughts here? Too expensive for a 2019 with 30k miles? Not worth the extra spend? Will the 2019 hold value better? Thanks!

You could take a look through the threads at the bottom of your post that show "similar questions". I personally dont understand why these are the choices, though.

If you are willing to spend 52k why was that not spent on a NEW Model 3 LR? That would fit within the price you are paying for the used performance.

And you should probably ignore the poll, most likely trolls just selecting the M3P for not reason other than to ...troll.

Well.. In the poll, the only two choices are the SR+ new and a used Performance. I didnt vote, but if those were my only two choices, I would probably choose the used performance (but not at the price the OP is paying for it).

What appears to be the correct answer (New LR AWD) wasnt on the poll, but for the money the OP is spending, if the poll was "New LR AWD or Used 2019 Performance at the same price", I suspect that it would overwhelmingly reflect the choice of "new AWD LR".

Reactions: cucubits
Those are two completely different cars. If you're eyeing a Performance, there's really no reason to settle for a standard range base model as I'll guarantee you're regret down the line. Value wise, you'd have to ask yourself if the performance is worth the extra cost to you. Are you just commuting and don't really care for speed? Then just get the SR. If not, get the P. The used car market for Teslas are booming right now. $52 for a 19 P is in line and more than fair in current market. Don't worry about the year as they are mostly irrelevant. Nothing has really changed in a way that should sway you one way or the other.

Well you all have me convinced - placed a new LR order today. Very much appreciate your feedback!

Were you able to modify the existing order you mentioned you have? If you didnt, but instead placed a new one, you might look into seeing if Tesla could modify your existing SR+ order. Not sure that is possible, but it might be.

Well you all have me convinced - placed a new LR order today. Very much appreciate your feedback!
Check the current Inventory. The wait is dreadful and you are looking at a minimum of Months away... I Personally would get something from here:

I'm not sure where you are located, but this looks gorgeous to me. (Even though I prefer White on my Cars, but it does look more Performance Like)

1623205571068.png