Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used M3 from dealer - register ownership on the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All 🙂

I should be getting my M3 LR FSD on Friday from an independent dealer.

The dealer has told me that I register my ownership with Tesla via some kind of email where I included certain details about me and the car so they link it up. I've so read in here that the dealer can do a direct transfer to me.

Does the latter require the dealer to have taken ownership first? My assumption would be that they wouldn't bother doing that?

Assuming that they can't just transfer the ownership, how long does the process take? In the mean time, can I use super chargers because I'm going on holiday quite soon after I get the car and will need them?

In the app I don't see anything about adding a car to the account. The only option is to add a power wall!

Thanks in advance 🙂

When you login to your Tesla account on a web browser do you see a section in the Dashboard to add a car purchased from a third party?

I have never done it so can't help re estimated timing or Supercharger access pending the registration of the car to your Tesla account.

I was originally told that I'd have to go through the lengthy process of providing to Tesla the car is mine, but I'm now told (by a different person) they they do have the Tesla on their app so they can in fact transfer it directly to me.
We shall see, I'm getting the car today! 😁

Had my "Tough Leads" 25m granny charger extension lead delivered yesterday. Looks like a very solid product. Will hopefully get a zappy in a few weeks.

Reactions: Dilly
they do have the Tesla on their app so they can in fact transfer it directly to me

The APP has that option - so if previous owner transferred it to Dealer then that sounds promising (or if you find they've got that bit wrong! maybe you could ask the Dealer to contact previous owner to transfer direct to you?)

I'm getting the car today

Exciting! Have fun 🏎️

Take the "new car" checklist maybe? Check both Granny Cable and Type-2 present.

Reactions: Banzibarn