Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model 3 Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve decided to go for a used M3LR instead of buying new. It was a really close call in the end but I’ve gone for a December 21 registered LR with less than 3000 miles on the clock. The bonus of EAP, White interior and the 19 inch alloys sold it for me. I know some would have gone new for a similar cost but the extras were the deciding factor for me.

Has anyone else bought used from an independent dealer? Just wondering how easy it was for you to get the car to display in the app?

Also is there anything I should be looking out for on the Dec 21 model? I’m guessing USBs and Wireless Charging will be ok as I think the issue with both of those came later.

Any advice in advance of collection would be good.

Paint chips along the rocker bar and rear doors. Yep, even if just 3000 miles.

Is the Tesla slow charger (UMC) included, along with type 2 cable.

It's under warranty, so most things won't cost to fix anyway.

At the end of last year Tesla were in the process of changing a few components such as slightly larger battery, media processor, motors to a hairpin windings type etc. I presume none of these things matter to you or the car has them.

I’d be curious why a car is for sale that’s only 2 months old too, although if it was something wrong with it you’d think Tesla would be fixing under warranty

There are lots of buyers guides out there, Tesla-info website have one’s that cover buying used, model 3, how to find out what options a car has etc, might be worth a read.

Getting the car on your app, you need to provide Tesla evidence of your ownership, V5C is typical. Pretty sure if you set up and log into your account on myTesla (login is in theTesla website), using a browser, you’ll find the instructions.

Thanks all. I think the late 21 models did have the hairpin motors but think it was only the 22 models that had the new battery and different processor.

The 21 models did have the data enabled USB before Tesla reverted back to power only and updated the spec to reflect this.

It’s been a tough decision but I do think having EAP is just outweighing the processor and battery for me. Also the obvious wait for a new one if I order with white interior and larger alloys.

The 21 models did have the data enabled USB before Tesla reverted back to power only and updated the spec to reflect this.
Not entirely accurate. Mine is a late 21 model. Because it was delivered and registered after 15th December it’s set by Tesla to receive the non-data enabled USB hub by retrofit. Sure enough that’s what I got when it was finally fitted.

So it’s luck of the draw really.

If it's not from Tesla I would suggest being very careful to make sure it has the software options suggested. There have been several cases where cars are advertised as having 'Full Self Driving' because rather oddly Tesla tell you there is the hardware to support it, rather than the actual option and dealers are 'confused'. Hopefully EAP is clearer as the names don't clash.

Reactions: browellm and Mrklaw
some Dec cars got the larger battery I thought? So the only difference would be the processor.

I’m surprised if you’d be getting a decent discount given current demand though - is the EAP helping there? like you’re paying new list roughly but getting EAP for free or well discounted?

If I spec it new on Tesla it comes in at £55,900. I’m paying £49,900 so it’s a £6k discount on new list price. At present I’ve only paid the deposit to hold it pending confirmation that EAP is enabled and also general condition. It’s being sold by a garage with extremely good reviews on AutoTrader which makes me a little more comfortable.

I’ve asked for confirmation that any outstanding finance has been cleared. Tesla are sending the garage that today but the storms mean it will be tomorrow before I can realistically collect.

I’m sure a few on here will have spotted the car on Autotrader as well :)

Doing some digging for you it looks like it was first listed on the 8th of Jan and they dropped the price by about 5k on Feb 5th.

If you want the options anyway then it's worth it, many won't look past the entry level price without the options being a very similar price

I was very keen on the white interior and the alloys so that was two extras I was keen on. I’m signed up to the Telegram notifications via the Tesla Info site and none of those come up on accelerated delivery so it would be a case of waiting quite a while. EAP is a nice to have in my opinion. I could have managed without it which would have made a new one £52,590.

I’ve asked them to send me a pic of the software screen before I travel so I can confirm EAP and also use the VIN decoder to check a few other things such as the motor type.