Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model 3 Order - How long did shipping to your location take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a used Model 3 last week. Shipping from Lathrop to Chicago. Said 2-3 weeks for shipping.

Has anyone else done this? How was your experience?

I’m having trouble getting a hold of my sales rep. I’m hoping closer to 2 weeks since I think California to Chicago is basically 100% train.

there is much discussion on here about the subject, even some tracking statistics. FWIW, my Model 3 LR shipped from Fremont to central Florida on Sep 4, and per schedule I took delivery on the 21st, my DD. That was about 2.5 weeks shipping cross country. My OD was in May, about 4 months OD to DD.

Like you, I and others got little status/progress info, and when or how often we got it was not very predictable. The emphasis on text messaging added frustration for me.

At some point they'll inform you a VIN has been assigned, then you'll get notification of shipment, then a message asking you to schedule delivery, picking from a few dates they offer. I don't know when mine arrived at the service center (they offered t but at location only), but I suspect it was less than 48 hours before delivery.

Working out final agreements and payment and financing it often confusing too, aggravated by uncertainty about when each upcoming milestone is to be set. My credit union uses different terminology than Tesla for financing. Tesla's use of texting to finalize things is not what lenders are used to.

Good luck, with the process and with remaining patient/calm ;-)

Upvote 0
there is much discussion on here about the subject, even some tracking statistics. FWIW, my Model 3 LR shipped from Fremont to central Florida on Sep 4, and per schedule I took delivery on the 21st, my DD. That was about 2.5 weeks shipping cross country. My OD was in May, about 4 months OD to DD.

Like you, I and others got little status/progress info, and when or how often we got it was not very predictable. The emphasis on text messaging added frustration for me.

At some point they'll inform you a VIN has been assigned, then you'll get notification of shipment, then a message asking you to schedule delivery, picking from a few dates they offer. I don't know when mine arrived at the service center (they offered t but at location only), but I suspect it was less than 48 hours before delivery.

Working out final agreements and payment and financing it often confusing too, aggravated by uncertainty about when each upcoming milestone is to be set. My credit union uses different terminology than Tesla for financing. Tesla's use of texting to finalize things is not what lenders are used to.

Good luck, with the process and with remaining patient/calm ;-)

Everything that you said is accurate for a new car, but this OP asked about buying a used car from tesla, which is not the same process or timelines you went through.

Upvote 0
Everything that you said is accurate for a new car, but this OP asked about buying a used car from tesla, which is not the same process or timelines you went through.
ah, thanks for the catch. Yes, much applies similarly, but other things will be different or not apply, like VIN assignment. Thus my experience with shipment of a new versus used M3 across country might not apply well. I could only speculate.

Upvote 0
ah, thanks for the catch. Yes, much applies similarly, but other things will be different or not apply, like VIN assignment. Thus my experience with shipment of a new versus used M3 across country might not apply well. I could only speculate.

The just under 3 week shipping of your car to your location is likely very applicable, though. Probably same trains (lol).

Upvote 0
there are YouTube videos of trucks picking up cars from trains at locations some # states away from delivery. So it seems common that some m ok re than small portion of the shipping will be by truck, even when most of the distance is by train. I found the videos interesting, if only to learn that rail likely did not carry my car more than 95% of the distance, FWIW.

Upvote 0
Yes. I have seen lots of info on new cars but this is a used car.

I called Tesla twice. At first they said they could track my car but they said they couldn’t find it. They said sometimes that happens when the car is in the train.

The second time I called the said a rough rough estimate of Nov 31st which would be about 1.5 weeks. I’m hoping that’s correct. I can’t wait

Upvote 0
any issues with buying the car "blind"? From talking to Tesla reps, they are saying that these things are flying off the lot so fast they just don't have time or resources to even take photos of them, though they are trying to come up with some kind of way of photographing the cars again. Seems kind of ridiculous since it must take all of 10 minutes tops to take a bunch of photos with a phone and upload them. They should have a standard set of photos showing things like the trunk with subwoofer area, the extended software version screen, rims, tyre treads etc.

Reactions: cdub
Upvote 0
My car was in pretty good shape but I’m not out there measuring if everything is in speck. I was happy but I am ok with a car that has been used for 3 years.

The plastic has some scratches here and there but nothing out of the ordinary for a 3 year old car. Detailing job was ok.

- One good size scratch about 4” on the bumper that was painted.
- Broken USS sensor. Tesla fixed for free
- Broken clip on front. Tesla fixed for free
- Wood was damaged. It looked like the previous owner put a cover over it and the sticker left 3 circles in the wood. I bought a $50 cover and it solved it.

Reactions: cdub and dmurphy
Upvote 0