Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model 3 Price higher than New??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please excuse me if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen it. I am a model S owner, and my wife Doesn't want something that large and is leaning towards a model 3. When I go to see what's on the used market vs new I was shocked to find only one M3 in the country (Autotrader, cars.com, eBay etc) under $40k (2018, no AP, 1000 miles). Meanwhile if I build out the cheapest M3 I can, it's only $39,900 and now that includes AP + Tax credit.

Are people actually going out and buying Used M3's right now? I can't imagine how many used car dealerships are upside-down on M3 trade ins that they may have taken in.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
The 3 on AT, is it a DM or LR or both? What options does it have? Premium upgrade? Upgraded paint, wheels? Pending the configuration and condition, it may be a deal(?)

It's had nothing extravagant. 2wd, no AP, Basic wheels, blue paint. There wasn't a ton more info, but apparently it sold and I can't see it any longer. Still blows my mind that a brand new one, with AP3 HW, AP, a decent interior and range is less than any used one on the market.

Used ones on the market are likely LR models, because for a long while last year, that was all that is available. The range/battery is the biggest differentiator for the price, so I wouldn't say its unreasonable that a a used LR model still costs more than a new SR+ model.

It's had nothing extravagant. 2wd, no AP, Basic wheels, blue paint. There wasn't a ton more info, but apparently it sold and I can't see it any longer. Still blows my mind that a brand new one, with AP3 HW, AP, a decent interior and range is less than any used one on the market.

If that is the case, you have narrowed your search. Time to configure and order a new one!

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
Please excuse me if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen it. I am a model S owner, and my wife Doesn't want something that large and is leaning towards a model 3. When I go to see what's on the used market vs new I was shocked to find only one M3 in the country (Autotrader, cars.com, eBay etc) under $40k (2018, no AP, 1000 miles). Meanwhile if I build out the cheapest M3 I can, it's only $39,900 and now that includes AP + Tax credit.

Are people actually going out and buying Used M3's right now? I can't imagine how many used car dealerships are upside-down on M3 trade ins that they may have taken in.

Thoughts?

Oh haven't you heard ? .... Elon says the Tesla is the first car that is an appreciating asset :D I can hardly wait for another 10 years when I can sell it for $2 million and go live on a private island :rolleyes:
Honestly, I don't get it either. I've seen a couple used cars with same options as new ones for a higher price. However, the majority of ones I have seen are lower as expected.

Just because a car is listed at a specific price doesn't mean that it's worth it. Sometimes you list just to see if someone will bite. It happens and it has worked for me in the past.
Cars that were purchased last year are often depreciated based on purchase price, but the owner actually got a $15k tax credit, so a car that was purchased at $50k only cost $35k. If the seller can sell for above $35k, then they are making money.

There are a number of other options for looking for used cars, including these forums. But who in their right mins would sell a Model 3 ;)
Okay, so there were a number of LR sold last year as folks upgraded to the P, but why else?