TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Used Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ElectricGuava, Nov 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ElectricGuava

ElectricGuava New Member

I'm looking at a Used 2018 Long Range Model 3 with FSD. The price is $44.5K with 32K miles on it.

I noticed new Model 3s just had a price increase and the FSD just went up by $1K. A comparable new 2019 Model 3 Long range with FSD (and 19" rims) would now be $57K.

Is a used 2018 FSD Model 3 with 32,000 miles on it worth the $12.5K discount? What other factors should I consider?

Thanks in advance.

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Is the one you are looking at RWD or AWD? (You can't buy a RWD LR Model 3 anymore.)

3. ElectricGuava

ElectricGuava New Member

It's a RWD.

4. Eth3r

Eth3r Member

I would consider that new Model 3's come with better sound insulation now, hardware ver 3.0, and if the used car has any curb rash or swirl marks or chips on the paint?

5. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

#5 PNWLeccy, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    I bought a used LR RWD a couple of months ago.

Considerations:
    • LR RWD was $3k less than AWD available now- this may not be how you value it but the market may
    • RWD has increased range (325 vs 310)* - I know AWD has been boosted to 322 but same ~5% range boost should apply to RWD putting it at about 340
    • If speed is your thing, 0-60 on RWD is 5s vs 4.4s
    • If live in snowy geo, AWD may matter more to you but RWD traction control is reportedly very good
    • Some prefer feel of RWD vs AWD. I’ve tried both and it’s feels more like push (rwd) vs pull (AWD)
    • AWD has redundancy so that if one motor goes out, you can still drive with other which is nice
    • Used cars don’t qualify for tax incentives $1875 federal + $1k-$5k* state (*if available in your state)
    • Used don’t need to pay $1200 doc+dest fees
    • Can remove FSD if you don’t need it for $7k reduction which puts it at $37.5k
    Pros
    • Used models include Homelink, new cars require $300 install
    • No pedestrian noise speaker
    • They will not give you wheels with curb rash- if there is any, they will fix/replace
    • Usually less wait time to get your car - I ordered and was in my car 7 days later
    Cons
    • Used don’t include “better noise insulation” - based on Elon’s tweet but unconfirmed what this exactly entails
    • I had some swirl marks but nothing bad at all- was nicely detailed when I received it
    • Any small chips to the paint won’t be fixed- I haven’t found anything major on mine
    • 32k miles is not insignificant but as long as you’re under 50k for warranty you have enough time to address any issues you have after receiving that will be covered
    It’s hard for me to comment on price since I got such a great deal on mine ($35.8k,4k mi, 19”) but if you remove FSD I think it isn’t a bad deal

• Like x 1
  6. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

If the car he's buying has FSD it'll get HW3 for free anyway when it's needed

7. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I would say that's a no brainier to get the used one. You still have some warranty left to get little things fixed if needed. Saving about $13,000 is a big deal, especially since the tax credit isn't really relevant anymore. We chose a brand new Chevy bolt over a 2nd model 3 for my wife as we got it for $29500 (sticker price $44310). It all comes down to the numbers in my opinion.

• Like x 1
  8. Wnuk

Wnuk Member

So if a used 2018 was originally purchased with FSD, the upgrade to HW 3 is free? What if a used was purchased with EAP but not FSD. If you add FSD, would the free upgrade still apply?

9. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

yes

10. Wnuk

Wnuk Member

Interesting. I am looking at a 2018 with EAP but not FSD. It’s an earlier build so likely has HW 2? Would be nice to purchase FSD to have an upgrade path to HW 3

11. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

No production model 3 was ever built with HW2- the very first (and all of them until earlier this year) came with 2.5

But yes, everyone who buys FSD will get HW3 for free if the car didn't come with it.

12. Wnuk

Wnuk Member

Thanks for the info, very helpful

13. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

Can you access the car and read the current % SoC and then display the miles range?
    This can help to evaluate if there is any battery degradation.
    Best would be to charge at 90% or 100% if that's possible.
    Originaly a 100% SoC was 310 miles.

14. fazluke

fazluke Member

I placed an order of model Y so my model 3 is up for sale. 2018 with 18k miles. It is an LR RWD with all the options and so many extras and customization. Tesla just upgraded the hardware to version 3 for FSD. Price is $49.5K. IM if interested for pictures and more details.

• Funny x 1
  15. Timmygp

Timmygp Member

Wait a couple of months and the market will be flooded with m3’s for the fact of people wanting Y’s.

16. Matsayz

Matsayz Member

Not the thread for this announcement. Try the For Sale section or Auto Trader/CarMax/Carvana...