Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S 90D Range Seems Way Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a used 2016 Tesla Model S. I noticed that my range seems to be way off. When I first left my house it said had 399km. I drove about 65km and all of a sudden I was down to 299km. My setting is set to rating and not ideal. I am very surprised that somehow I lost another 35km in the process. My car had 40,000km when it was purchased.

My car also only charges to 399km at 90% but I should be at 425km at 90% since I was told the car has a 473km range.

This is my first EV so I would appreciate is someone could shed some light here. Is something wrong with the battery?

Rated range is just that, a rating. The rating is under “reasonable” conditions much like distance per gallon. As with a ICE car, it isn’t likely that you get the rates fuel efficiency unless driving carefully.

it will be worse in cold weather where the car has to warm the battery (or occupants).

Rated range is just that, a rating. The rating is under “reasonable” conditions much like distance per gallon. As with a ICE car, it isn’t likely that you get the rates fuel efficiency unless driving carefully.

it will be worse in cold weather where the car has to warm the battery (or occupants).

Thanks for the reply! This is my first Tesla so I am still learning. Anything I can do to improve battery life?

Thanks for the reply! This is my first Tesla so I am still learning. Anything I can do to improve battery life?
Drive slower, don't park it in cold exposed places, don't excessively heat or cool the car. Also remember that each time you park it, the car will be allowed to cool down so the first few km are not very efficient - similar to ICE cars when they are warming up.

Not sure if this helps but here are my #'s

When I bought the car (Used 2017 w 35000km) my rated range was 407km at 90%

I did a few long trips in the summer and the last time I checked I got 417km

I have gotten over 500km on a full charge on a long flat road trip in the spring

I also get 300km ish on 90% in the winter

So I think you are a bit low but would recommend doing the battery recalibration when the weather is around 19 degrees.

Also do yourself a favour and switch to %. Because of the variability on the KMs it is better to ignore them completely.

Cheers

Not sure if this helps but here are my #'s

When I bought the car (Used 2017 w 35000km) my rated range was 407km at 90%

I did a few long trips in the summer and the last time I checked I got 417km

I have gotten over 500km on a full charge on a long flat road trip in the spring

I also get 300km ish on 90% in the winter

So I think you are a bit low but would recommend doing the battery recalibration when the weather is around 19 degrees.

Also do yourself a favour and switch to %. Because of the variability on the KMs it is better to ignore them completely.

Cheers

Great thanks for the info! How would I calibrate the battery exactly? Nobody at Tesla explained anything to me.

Great thanks for the info! How would I calibrate the battery exactly? Nobody at Tesla explained anything to me.

Charge to 100% and then drive it down as low as you feel comfortable. I think you have to do this a couple of times.

Not sure if this is what caused my numbers to jump or the warmer weather but it is worth a shot.

Since you are with Her Majesty and new here, I ain't gawn RTFM you.

Basically, at your latitude weather is quite cold already, big deal of energy is used in battery conditioning.

Best advice is preheat car 20min before trip, turn of AC, and zipper up turning on the seat heaters.

Evtripplanner will help you on long trips and it factors in load, elevation, and ambient temps.

would anyone know if the range estimate takes grade into consideration?

I just ordered my used MS 90D and I have a 100 mile commute most days for work but I have to drive up and down a mountain (on a smooth freeway though) for about half of the commute. Any insight on what I should expect for my range?