Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S: AWD 70D vs RWD 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently considering the purchase of the used Model S from late 2016 / early 2017.
I found two cars which have similar mileage, the same price, same options and same color.

One of them is a 70D and the other one is a 75. Which one is the best choice, all else being equal?

If the 75 is the RWD, you will love it. I had a 2017 and was always impressed on how well it would take off. I think it's 0 to 60 in 4.3. Now that don't sound fast but to me it was awesome. You will find many conversations between AWD and RWD. Sure AWD will always win the debate however I felt that the RWD Tesla felt more active. It's not like it's going to spin out. Probably want an AWD if you are doing a lot of snow driving. Also, I think the 2017 MCU was improved over the 2016 but not to sure. Any Tesla makes for a great car.

If the cars are otherwise similar as far as color, options, miles, condition, etc. the choice may come down to acceleration versus traction. The 75 should provide better acceleration and slightly more range but the 70D will provide better traction.

Also, the MS 70 actually has a software limited 75 kWh battery pack which can be unlocked.

If the 75 is the RWD, you will love it. I had a 2017 and was always impressed on how well it would take off. I think it's 0 to 60 in 4.3. Now that don't sound fast but to me it was awesome. You will find many conversations between AWD and RWD. Sure AWD will always win the debate however I felt that the RWD Tesla felt more active. It's not like it's going to spin out. Probably want an AWD if you are doing a lot of snow driving. Also, I think the 2017 MCU was improved over the 2016 but not to sure. Any Tesla makes for a great car.
The 4.3 second RWDs didn’t come out until late 2017.

Late 2016 to early 2017 cars are 0-60 in 5.5.

Ok, so between these two models the accelerations will be approximately the same?
Then it boils down to a choice between range or traction?

As far as acceleration, range and traction goes, the biggest difference between the two is going to be the RWD versus AWD factors. If that's not important to you, I would negotiate on price and see which one you can get for the lowest price. Are these being offered by Tesla or other parties?