Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model S charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My colleague is thinking about buying an older used Tesla Model S with a 70D battery. Does the mobile charger that comes with this version (Gen 1 mobile connector) charge at 40 amps charge rate or is it 32 amps like gen 2?

My colleague is thinking about buying an older used Tesla Model S with a 70D battery. Does the mobile charger that comes with this version (Gen 1 mobile connector) charge at 40 amps charge rate or is it 32 amps like gen 2?
The UMC itself is capable of charging at 40 Amps. If you have a US market Gen-1 adapter, you could charge at 40 Amps with a 14-50 or 6-50 adapter, assuming you have the proper wiring and breaker.

Reactions: Vawlkus
To answer your question it depends.

I had a 2015 Model S 70D, and it charged at 40 amps at home good for around 45km range added per hr connected.
When I traded that in for another 2015 model S (P90D) it had the throttled piece that limited me to 32a and a corresponding reduction in my charging rate to about 34 km/hr connected or something. I don't know when they changed it but it's really not a huge difference when you think about it.

Not really a big bother being I charge overnight but once in a blue moon if my battery is low and I need 150 kms added in a morning before I go somewhere, at 32 km/hr that's not going to happen so it invariably that leads to hitting a supercharger on the way (which is also not a big bother for 10 minutes).

Interestingly it's the little 14-50 adapter piece that is the throttle...if you use an old one on a newer car, it will charge at the 40a rate. Not sure if that's safe however.

So which gen 1 adapters charged at 40 amps?
Well....it depends.....
Tesla had a recall of the UMC and 14-50 adapter, for all ONTARIO cars in 2016. The recall was rather odd, in that they sent out a new UMC and 14-50 adapter, and asked you to mail back the old one. Some did, but most, including me (ahem) put the new one in my car, and put the old one in my garage (I have an HPWC on my barn, where I most frequently charge). I now can top up without taking the UMC from the car.
We believe the recall was triggered by ESA challenging Tesla after a garage fire in Ontario - so they reduced the power on the adapter from 40 amps to 32.

-Tesla Service always checks to see if you have the new model in the car (in Ontario). They will swap out any old models.
- I believe they rolled this out across Canada over the next year or so.
- If the car is 2016 or older, or from another province, it may have the old 14-50 adapter, rated at 40 amps

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck