Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S: CPO vs. Private Seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post is for current or former used Model S owners. I recently procured a 2013 P85 through CPO after seriously considering a 2014 P85 that was $5K more on Craigslist. Both had similar miles and 4 year extended warranties. I'm interested to hear how those who have a used model S feel about their buying experience. While my wife is very happy I purchased through Tesla, I'm wondering if you really get more assurance the car is in good shape. I know they perform the 200 point inspection, but can't anyone get that done on a privately purchased vehicle for $1,200? My main issue with going through the CPO is the wait. Putting aside my impatience, I am curious why it would take 6-8 weeks (with me picking it up) to inspect and refurbish a car that has never been wrecked, salvaged, etc. Also, through a private seller you can get services records. For some reason Tesla can't provide these, which seems odd if they bought the car back from someone who only had service work done through them. I know you take a bigger risk of getting a raw deal through a private dealer, but that seems to be greatly alleviated when you are getting a car with the 4 year extended warranty. Do any used Model S owners on either side of the coin have any feedback as to which is the better way to go for future purchases?

Thanks!

Brandon

thats hard to say, i dont think it matters, it can go both ways. each car will vary depending on previous ownership or for the CPO's, the people driving the loaners.

an advantage i see going private party is that you can actually see what youre getting before buying it

I did that 2 years ago: bought from someone an MS with 100'000 km on it. So far so good. As already said, you see in advance what you get. Plus you can talk to the previous owner, which you can't with a CPO. And in principle, you save a part of the Tesla margin (i.e. you pay something between the amount Tesla would have given to the guy and the price they resell it.) The warranty is a bit longer with a CPO, so you take the risk when you buy from someone, and repairs are not cheap. So it's hard to tell. But I'm very satisfied so far.

I did that 2 years ago: bought from someone an MS with 100'000 km on it. So far so good. As already said, you see in advance what you get. Plus you can talk to the previous owner, which you can't with a CPO. And in principle, you save a part of the Tesla margin (i.e. you pay something between the amount Tesla would have given to the guy and the price they resell it.) The warranty is a bit longer with a CPO, so you take the risk when you buy from someone, and repairs are not cheap. So it's hard to tell. But I'm very satisfied so far.

Yeah, the seeing the vehicle and talking to the previous owner before hand is a big advantage. I'm not too worried about the price, because the CPO deal was cheaper than just about any private deal I've seen and it had the 4 year extended warranty. What year and type did you buy? Glad it's been good to you.

I'm in the same boat as well. Had a few questions if anyone could help out.

Would the original warranty transfer to new owner if purchased in a private sale?

Would you be able to take a private party vehicle to a tesla service center and get an inspection before purchasing? I would gladly pay for short term piece of mind.

If the extended warranty is not purchased at the time of the sale, can the second buyer purchase it?

Not getting a lot of feedback from Tesla on this so I appreciate any help!

Thanks!!

Michael

I'm in the same boat as well. Had a few questions if anyone could help out.

Would the original warranty transfer to new owner if purchased in a private sale?

Would you be able to take a private party vehicle to a tesla service center and get an inspection before purchasing? I would gladly pay for short term piece of mind.

If the extended warranty is not purchased at the time of the sale, can the second buyer purchase it?

Not getting a lot of feedback from Tesla on this so I appreciate any help!

Thanks!!

Michael

Yes, original warranty transfers

Yes, at least my local Tesla dealer was willing to inspect (with an appointment)

Yes, second buyer can purchase extended warranty, as Lon as it has never been in the hands of a 3rd party dealer.

Good Luck!

Yes, second buyer can purchase extended warranty, as Lon as it has never been in the hands of a 3rd party dealer

In my case, I was not allowed to buy the extended warranty because the car was well over 80 000 km (50 000 miles). I could only buy it if the car was still covered by the original. I'm now passed the mileage warranty of the extended warranty and it would have not been worth it, I paid less in repairs (~4500 CAD in 2 years, less than on my 8 y.o. Siena actually!)

In my case, I was not allowed to buy the extended warranty because the car was well over 80 000 km (50 000 miles). I could only buy it if the car was still covered by the original. I'm now passed the mileage warranty of the extended warranty and it would have not been worth it, I paid less in repairs (~4500 CAD in 2 years, less than on my 8 y.o. Siena actually!)

That's true. I should have been clearer. If the extended warranty was still available to the first owner, it should be available to the second (<4 years old and <50k mi)

I don't see why you would ever buy a more expensive car from a private party vs a CPO. All things equal the CPO is a way better deal because Telsa refurbishes it to like new and gives you a additional 4 year/50K mile warranty from the date and mileage of the sale. No private party can/will do either. The cost of repairs on a MS over 4 years could easily reach several thousand dollars. I wouldn't buy it from a private party unless it was several thousand dollars CHEAPER than a CPO. I know you have to wait, but that is what it take to be on the cutting edge.

I don't see why you would ever buy a more expensive car from a private party vs a CPO. All things equal the CPO is a way better deal because Telsa refurbishes it to like new and gives you a additional 4 year/50K mile warranty from the date and mileage of the sale. No private party can/will do either. The cost of repairs on a MS over 4 years could easily reach several thousand dollars. I wouldn't buy it from a private party unless it was several thousand dollars CHEAPER than a CPO. I know you have to wait, but that is what it take to be on the cutting edge.

The private party one was a year newer.