Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S - Depreciation estimate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a used Tesla Model S 2014 or 2015 for about $50,000.

How much would I be able to sell the car for in 3 years?

Let's say the car would be 6-7 years old when I sell it, with less than 90,000 miles and in very good condition.

My personal estimate is $25,000.

[The reason I want to know what I can sell it for is because I'm trying to calculate my true cost of ownership over the 3 years or so that I would probably own the car. So, in my example above, it would cost me roughly $8,300/year to own the Tesla. If an alternative ICE car is $8,000/year to own, then buying used Tesla is the clear winner imo]

Thoughts?

Assuming you're talking about an 85 I think $25k is probably a little low. I think right now 2012-2013 cars with near 100k miles are selling in the high 30s. So I'd guess a `14 or `15 will be in the low 30s in 2-3 years time. Also will depend on what exactly you end up with. AP cars will probably be worth a good chunk more, but you'll have a hard time finding one in your price range.

There is a lot of things that could happen to change the values pretty dramatically though. If $35k Model 3s are actually easily avalible then, I think that will probably hurt the resale value of the high-mileage/older Ss alot.