Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S or new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am new to the forums! I wanted to ask everyone's opinion. I will be in the market for a new car sometime with the next year. I was thinking about getting a new model 3, but then I realized that I could get a used 2013 for under 50K and I am tempted by that price for such a sweet car. Keep in mind I will (most likely) be putting around 20% down and financing the rest. My goal for the car is to be able to drive it every day. I like the model 3 because it would be new with warranty. But I like the model s because its a Sports car and has already depreciated so I will be out less money when I trade it in.

Couple of questions:

Do you already have a Model 3 reservation? If not, you may be waiting a while to get a 3.

Do you care about autopilot/TACC? If that is a driving factor for your commute, then the 3 will most likely be the more affordable option. Although you do occasionally see AP1 CPOs below 60k, it's still rare.

I chose to get a Model S. I got impatient and was able to get a P85 2013 model for a price I could afford. It doesn't have Autopilot, but it is still the best car I have owned and crazy fast. If I buy the 3, it will be later once AWD is out as well as the P version.

Couple of questions:

Do you already have a Model 3 reservation? If not, you may be waiting a while to get a 3.

Do you care about autopilot/TACC? If that is a driving factor for your commute, then the 3 will most likely be the more affordable option. Although you do occasionally see AP1 CPOs below 60k, it's still rare.

I chose to get a Model S. I got impatient and was able to get a P85 2013 model for a price I could afford. It doesn't have Autopilot, but it is still the best car I have owned and crazy fast. If I buy the 3, it will be later once AWD is out as well as the P version.

I do not have a Model 3 reserved. And my commute is about 30 min, although auto pilot would be nice its not a must have for me.

I do not have a Model 3 reserved. And my commute is about 30 min, although auto pilot would be nice its not a must have for me.

At this point I would wait for the full reveal of the 3 to decide since we think it will be in July. You will be able to price one out and see how much the options you want will cost (and what options the 3 won't have than an S does) Then you can compare better against an S.

Hello all,
I like the model 3 because it would be new with warranty. But I like the model s because its a Sports car and has already depreciated so I will be out less money when I trade it in.

A CPO Model S carries the same warranty as a new Model S, and presumably Model 3 (4yr 50K bumper to bumper and 8 year unlimited mileage on battery/drive unit). Also, weighing in at over 4500 lbs, the Model S is hardly a sports car.

Hello all,

I am new to the forums! I wanted to ask everyone's opinion. I will be in the market for a new car sometime with the next year. I was thinking about getting a new model 3, but then I realized that I could get a used 2013 for under 50K and I am tempted by that price for such a sweet car. Keep in mind I will (most likely) be putting around 20% down and financing the rest. My goal for the car is to be able to drive it every day. I like the model 3 because it would be new with warranty. But I like the model s because its a Sports car and has already depreciated so I will be out less money when I trade it in.
Basically it boils down if you want to spend $50K on 4-5 year old car or $50K (or quite a bit less) for a brand new 3. Unless you buy a CPO car directly from Tesla, any used S of that vintage will be essentially out of warranty period (not counting the battery and drivertrain warranty) so keep in mind, fixing things can get expensive in event something breaks.

It depends on your budget and timing. Having said that, here is how I would approach it:

- I would wait for others to work out the kinks and early gremlins on the 3. Post reveal, see what the actual 3 you would want adds up to, the odds is that it will be above $35k.
- Meanwhile, get a feel for what's out there on the S front. For instance and if you're worried about resale value, 2014 CPOs with AP1 are starting to show up in the 60s:
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H17EFP58564 | Tesla
- You can find a bunch of non AP cars CPOs in the $40ks too.

Based on this, I would personally go the S CPO route, but YMMV.

I know the Model 3 is not out just yet but from what I have seen it is a lower end entry sedan with similar quality and options as a Camry, Elantra, etc.

The Model S is more of a luxury sports sedan in line with BMW 5/7, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I expect the Model 3 to have substantially worse interior design and luxury service and options. If you want and enjoy the luxury line I would get the Model S. As noted above repairs can be pricey so that may factor in to your decisions depending on the specifics of your budget.

I may be wrong about Model 3, I would be happy to be wrong, but all the recent pictures I have seen scream of cramped spaces and cheap looking interiors.

Wait for Model 3 to come out then get a used Model S.

Price of Model S will TANK.

During Tesla’s earnings call in May, Musk expressed some concern that potential customers incorrectly view the Model 3 as an improved replacement for the Model S. Tesla’s sales staff will “anti-sell” the Model 3, he said, in hopes of encouraging would-be buyers to pay for the premium Model S.
What Musk didn't say, is that potential customers are correct. Model 3 will be cheaper, smaller, and better.

• Disagree
Reactions: KidDoc