Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used Model S prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband has also been looking at used Model S's on line. Think he's been searching Car trader. Lowest price he's found is $89,900 for a P85. Though he has come across some fairly high prices like someone asking $90,000 for a 40kWh.

The only currently viable used market I've seen is through Tesla for their inventory cars (if/when available). Current owners just aren't pricing in any level of depreciation-- though I suspect many of them are not serious about selling either.

I don't imagine used Model S to be a worthwhile proposition until after the Model X comes out and MS owners start trading up. There could be a very short-term glut with very attractive prices.

The only currently viable used market I've seen is through Tesla for their inventory cars (if/when available). Current owners just aren't pricing in any level of depreciation-- though I suspect many of them are not serious about selling either.

I don't imagine used Model S to be a worthwhile proposition until after the Model X comes out and MS owners start trading up. There could be a very short-term glut with very attractive prices.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The market is set by what people are willing to pay. Cars are being sold so a realistic price point is being set.

Now, if you're saying that you don't want to pay that price, that's a different story

I'm simply making an observation. Tesla demand is high so there is no depreciation priced in. As a result, the used market is not really "viable" in the sense that lower prices have created a secondary market. I have rarely seen a Tesla sell for a price that would be enticing over just ordering new-- and I suspect that won't change for the foreseeable future.

So what I'm saying is... if I'm going to get a Model S in the near future, I see no reason to buy a used one.

As for the Model X, I think there are more households unable to sustain TWO Teslas than gaswalla's assertion of "majority". The majority of reservations currently held might be second-vehicle households, but I doubt that too. And of those households that are likely to have 2 Teslas, many of them already DO. So they'll be swapping out one to get a MX. We'll see.

There are no hard facts for any side to this speculation as even Model S sales are still not reflective of their ultimate demographics and market share due to the limitations remaining on the number of Superchargers and Service Centers.

Last edited:
I know of a 2 Tesla family that will continue to be a 2 Tesla family when they get their X. I suspect a large portion of Xs sold will create a used Model S - not saying majority but still a large portion.

I do think the used market is pretty strange. People are willing to buy used at no discount to avoid waiting but they usually could get inventory cars at a lower price - it isn't a perfect market because knowledge is limited....

It'll be interesting when the only inventory cars available for sale will have been in the loaner fleet for a minimum of 90 days (per Tesla's new policy). Using the company's depreciation formula, many of these cars will be available at a substantial discount compared to new vehicles.

It'll be interesting when the only inventory cars available for sale will have been in the loaner fleet for a minimum of 90 days (per Tesla's new policy). Using the company's depreciation formula, many of these cars will be available at a substantial discount compared to new vehicles.

Most of them will have things that most buyers on a budget wouldn't need or want. You get a discount which will be equivalent to getting upgraded lighting, headliners, performance leather, etc. on top of the options you actually wanted.

I am going to give it a month to see if something pops up that doesn't have any options I don't want such as suspension, performance leather, headliner, dual chargers, etc. If nothing pops up then I won't be disappointed with going new.

Is it correct that if you want to order inventory car, do you have to place an order and only then you are provided information about them?

Not in my experience. My advisor suggested I build a car in Deaign Studio and select the "Pay Later" option. That gave him visibility into what I was looking for & he was able to pull a report on any inventory vehicles that came close to what I had designed.

IMHO, the notion that you have to "leave a deposit" before they will do a search for you is old-world "dealership" model, which (at least at my store) is ~not~ the way Tesla does business.