Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S private purchase advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I'm pretty new here and considering buying a used Model S via private party sale (when I find one). Thanks to everyone sharing their thoughts all around this forum.

I was wondering if those who have previously purchased via private party have any wisdom to share. In particular, had a few specific questions:
  • Do Tesla stores offer any kind of "inspection" on a private sale? EG, could I get a potential purchase "checked out" by Tesla first?
  • Any advice/concerns on buying used private party? One minor concern I had was that by the time it's paid off, a 2015 for example would be about 6 years old. That's not really *that* old for a regular car, but this is also not a conventional car. ;)
  • I'm really only considering private purchase since everyone makes out better in those deals, but am not opposed to CPO. I know the CPO vs. private purchase discussion has been done to death, but if you have any other thoughts on the matter I'd love to hear them. I do like that CPOs are awfully reassuring as a first time owner.
Anyway, if you have any thoughts I'd certainly appreciate it. Thank you again!

-Dan

So I decided to buy a P85 2013 late last year. For your question about a pre purchase inspection, yes, Tesla Service centers typically will do that, for a fee. One place quoted me $350, the other $250, which the inspection seems to be a typical annual inspection.
The rest is kind of geared towards what you’re looking to spend. Some private sales will have an existing extended warranty already in place, so that can be a matter of transferring, while most will probably have the 8 year motor/battery and initial 5 year warranty.

If you find a specific vehicle you can call a Service Center and they will answer questions about Specific details on the car, like features that it has specific repairs that has taken place on it. They cannot give you general information or just offer information. At least that was how it was when I bought my third-party carb a year or so ago.

I am going to toss one other thing you may not have thought about. I know I hadn't and it can be a pain. One of the things you will want is to be able to have the vehicle registered in your Tesla account. In order to do this you need to have a copy of the registration or temporary registration or title in your name. In many states, CA especially, getting a copy of the registration in your name or the new title, can take a long time. I made the mistake of letting the lender that held the existing title handle this. They are in no hurry and neither is the DMV so you can be stuck for a month or more waiting. It is better to get all the paperwork from your lender and or the seller and jointly go down to DMV or AAA and get the vehicle registered in your name immediately. Then you have a document you can copy and send to Tesla. Tesla will not accept a Bill-of-Sale or any other documents.

If you find a specific vehicle you can call a Service Center and they will answer questions about Specific details on the car, like features that it has specific repairs that has taken place on it. They cannot give you general information or just offer information. At least that was how it was when I bought my third-party carb a year or so ago.

I have seen several reports here on TMC that Tesla will not provide repair information about a vehicle that you don't own. They also won't provide repair information on a vehicle that happened prior to your ownership.

At this point in 2018, it doesn’t make sense to be buying a Model S that was made pre Fall 2016. So if it doesnt have AP2.0 Hardware, not worth the buy.

I’m sure by end of the year more and more 16’ cars will pop up.

If you purchase from the original owner, he/she can share the service records. I sold my 2012 model S to a private party. As the original owner I was able to share any and all details about the car. I spent enough time with the purchaser to educate him on owning a Tesla to point where I think he said enough, just give the key fobs and let me drive. In our case we were past the mileage for the basic warranty but it still had the 8 year battery and motor warranty plus I had the prepaid service plan which transferred to the new owner for a nominal fee.

At this point in 2018, it doesn’t make sense to be buying a Model S that was made pre Fall 2016. So if it doesnt have AP2.0 Hardware, not worth the buy.

I’m sure by end of the year more and more 16’ cars will pop up.
Unless, of course, one doesn't want AP. Auto Pilot would be useless where I live so I view the lower cost of cars without it as a bonus. YMMV.

Two points to consider:
1. If you can work something out with the seller on splitting the cost, take the vehicle into the Tesla SC and ask to have the next service performed and tell them you just purchased the car and want to be sure there are no hidden problems or issues that need to be fixed. They won't ask you for proof of ownership. You will then be able to get a report on the vehicle (it will cost around $500-600 depending on when it was last serviced). Good for peace of mind too.
2. Back to my other post above, you need to get it registered as soon as possible because if for some reason you get locked out and the key fob doesn't work you will have no way to get into the vehicle and Tesla will not help you get into it so you may be stuck locked out since there is no back up mechanical key.

Reactions: thegooch49
I believe and others can say if this is right or wrong, but I think only original owners of the car can buy the extended service and/or warranty. If so, and you plan to keep the car say 6 years or longer and think you'd want it, it might be worth having the owner purchase the program before selling the car to you and if it can be transferred to you.

Info on the Extended Service Agreement (Vehicle Warranty):

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

You should review the extended service agreement section and read the actual New Vehicle Limted Warranty policy linked to within:
Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Regarding Maintenace servicing of the vehicle, this language is something that has affected some owners:

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Tesla vehicle every 12 months or every 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details.

Can I transfer my Tesla Maintenance Plan to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Maintenance Plan with the sale of your vehicle. The plan will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Maintenance Plan Terms and Conditions for more information.

and wouldn't hurt to review the Tesla Maintenance Plans info:
Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

I don't know about the owner of the car you are considering but we've always kept our service work orders and feel it would be worth asking if they have theirs.

Last edited:
I believe and others can say if this is right or wrong, but I think only original owners of the car can buy the extended service and/or warranty. If so, and you plan to keep the car say 6 years or longer and think you'd want it, it might be worth having the owner purchase the program before selling the car to you and if it can be transferred to you.

A 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc) owner can purchase the ESA as long as it hasn't gone through a dealership at any point. They changed this policy about a year ago, non-original owners can now purchase the ESA.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Just bringing this post back up - looking to see how you went?
After reading this, I am in a similar position and that I am looking at buying a used MS soon enough, possibly from CA.
1) Did anyone deal with a lien?
2) Were you able to transfer ownership/warranty easy enough?
3) Any other advice on buying a used MS?

My wife and I are looking at a 2015 AP1/70D/Smart Air Susp/>50k around the 37-40k mark.