Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used Model S - what to look out for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a used Model S Performance (any Model S with 700+ hp) and keep it for at least 5 years. I'm looking at used cars from 2019 and up to maybe 50-60'000km (31'070 - 37280 miles). I have never owned a Tesla before, so I'm unsure about some things and would appreciate some help. Mainly:

1. I've heard that HW 3.0 was added in 2019, which apparently was a big upgrade for the autopilot. Is this true? Does it perform noticably better than 2.5?

2. If I buy a 2019 model, chances are it would be out of warranty or very close to it (should still have 4 years of warranty on the battery though?). How risky is this with Teslas / Model S in particular? What yearly service cost would I have to expect without warranty?

3. Once a Tesla has been in use for 8 years and the warranty for the battery expires as well: is there any way to prolong this warranty? how risky would it be to keep using this vehicle without battery warranty on it?

4. What am I missing out on with a 2019 model when compared to the current Model S? Obviously, there was a big interior revamp and the current one comes with the Plaid option for even more speed (I don't need that), but apart from that: what are some important changes / upgrades that have happened over the last few years?

5. Do older Teslas still receive the latest software updates? Or will they get left behind in the foreseeable future?

6. Anything else that's important to make sure before I buy a used Model S?

Thank you very much!

1. Cars with Autopilot 2 and Autopilot 2.5 hardware can be upgraded to Autopilot 3. There's no cost to upgrade if FSD was already purchased.
2. We've had 16 Teslas and only spent $1500 on out of warranty issues over the past ~7 years. That $1500 was about $310 for one vehicle, $200 for a second and $1000 for the third. The other cars had no out of warranty expenses.
3. There are some third party extended warranties such as X-Care that you can purchase if you'd like coverage. Also, Tesla started offering Extended Service Agreements again this week for cars that are still under warranty. They aren't cheap though and for a Model S, ours has a price of $3500 for two years of coverage.
4. There aren't many changes between the 2019 Raven and 2020 models. Bigger changes came with the 2021 refresh with the horizontal screen, enhanced suspension, steering yoke, quieter cabin, etc.
5. Older cars still receive updates but not nearly as frequently as newer vehicles. For example, our 2017 Model S only received 2 updates in the past year. Our 2022 Model S received two updates in the past month.
6. If you are looking to buy used and think you might be interested in AP or FSD, I'd look for a car where the previous owner already purchased it and that it will transfer to the new owner. There's no way I would pay $15k to add FSD functionality to a used vehicle. You can still add FSD via subscription for $100 to $200 a month (depending on whether or not the car has EAP already).

I'm looking to buy a used Model S Performance (any Model S with 700+ hp) and keep it for at least 5 years. I'm looking at used cars from 2019 and up to maybe 50-60'000km (31'070 - 37280 miles). I have never owned a Tesla before, so I'm unsure about some things and would appreciate some help. Mainly:

1. I've heard that HW 3.0 was added in 2019, which apparently was a big upgrade for the autopilot. Is this true? Does it perform noticably better than 2.5?

2. If I buy a 2019 model, chances are it would be out of warranty or very close to it (should still have 4 years of warranty on the battery though?). How risky is this with Teslas / Model S in particular? What yearly service cost would I have to expect without warranty?

3. Once a Tesla has been in use for 8 years and the warranty for the battery expires as well: is there any way to prolong this warranty? how risky would it be to keep using this vehicle without battery warranty on it?

4. What am I missing out on with a 2019 model when compared to the current Model S? Obviously, there was a big interior revamp and the current one comes with the Plaid option for even more speed (I don't need that), but apart from that: what are some important changes / upgrades that have happened over the last few years?

5. Do older Teslas still receive the latest software updates? Or will they get left behind in the foreseeable future?

6. Anything else that's important to make sure before I buy a used Model S?

Thank you very much!
6. Don't look too much into trying to get a low mileage tesla you can get a better deal on a higher mileage vehicle. The importance of miles aren't nearly as serious for a high powered tesla vs an ICE car like the RS, Ms, and sports versions of MBS

5. Older cars still receive updates but not nearly as frequently as newer vehicles. For example, our 2017 Model S only received 2 updates in the past year. Our 2022 Model S received two updates in the past month.

But I mean, am I missing out on actual features in a 2019 Model S, compared to a 2023 one? What are these updates that the newer models receive and the older ones don't? Is the autopilot on a 2019 model fully up to date, for example? Can it do everything that a 2023 model can, does it have the same software number (11.something now I think)?

But I mean, am I missing out on actual features in a 2019 Model S, compared to a 2023 one? What are these updates that the newer models receive and the older ones don't? Is the autopilot on a 2019 model fully up to date, for example? Can it do everything that a 2023 model can, does it have the same software number (11.something now I think)?
I would just look it up. As far as I'm concerned you probably aren't missing much besides a different screen and have no turn signal behind the wheel and gear shifter. The 2023s are more comfortable, get better range, and the sound systems are even better(2019s are really good though). Tbh you aren't even considering a new one anyway so it doesn't matter

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There might be a few non-essential features. For example, our 2022 Model S can run Steam and we could play games in the car. The 2019 won't have Steam but will have a few games preloaded.

The FSD is identical currently as our 2022 and 2017 cars have the same cameras and computer. Eventually that will change with future vehicles once FSD features are added for HW4.

Alright, so I guess in terms of software, long-term support is pretty good then. I was wondering about mileage as well. If you buy a ~4 year old Model S, what mileage car would you consider the maximum to reasonably buy? When do the more expensive problems, say regarding the engine, drivetrain, battery etc usually start to appear?

oh, and another question I had (can't edit posts, sorry): Is it true that the 2020 Model S Performance is faster than the 2021 Model S (Non-Plaid)? I'm seeing 0-60 in 2.5sec for the 2020 Performance one, whereas the current standard Model S is listed at 3.2 seconds.

P (performance) models have famous LDU and their ability to get coolant leak so worth to consider as D (dual motor) models have SDU - small drive units and are more reliable on the same front. If you are looking for speed then keep in mind that on the street there are only other Tesla‘s faster than you.

Reactions: outdoors
oh, and another question I had (can't edit posts, sorry): Is it true that the 2020 Model S Performance is faster than the 2021 Model S (Non-Plaid)? I'm seeing 0-60 in 2.5sec for the 2020 Performance one, whereas the current standard Model S is listed at 3.2 seconds.
Yes, faster to 60-70, but the new MS LR are faster after...Most believe they are software limited 0-60 to not poach Plaid sales.

@Krash - apologies if I'm hijacking this thread, please suggest that I start a new one if appropriate... I'm a new member...

I'm looking at a 2019 Model S Performance at a small local car dealer... is there a way to obtain data about the car from Tesla? Since it's a P model, I'm concerned about (among other things) whether the car has been driven abusively, at high speeds often, etc.

Thanks...

…I'm looking at a 2019 Model S Performance at a small local car dealer... is there a way to obtain data about the car from Tesla?…
Nope. Even if you owned the car already, Tesla doesn’t keep that kind of data…

…although if you track raced your car every weekend it would be interesting to see if Tesla “adjusted” your trade-in value. I doubt they would.

Anyone have Tesla insurance? It would be interesting to see if that data can be used for an appraisal.