Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

There are a ton of experts in this form, so I wanted to ask a question to you model S owners!

I just recently purchased a new 2020 model 3 and I don't anticipate having to service that vehicle any time soon. However, my parents are considering buying a 2016 model S. So that's my question - How often will they need to service a used model S? and what costs will be associated with it? Google tells me it's just an annual checkup on the brakes. Any ideas on annual prices from owners?

...How often will they need to service a used model S?...

There is minimal maintenance service:

1) Tire service yearly: Good idea to rotate your tires ($40) and do a 4 wheel alignment ($250). Should cost less than $300 from Tesla and half that from non-Tesla.

2) Cabin Filter every 2 years.

3) Air Conditioning Service very 2 years

4) Brake Fluid Check every 2 years:

4) HEPA filter every 3 years: about $250.

Annual $175 brake lubrication per axle for those driving in corrosive, chemically treated winter roads.

Hourly labor cost from Tesla is high: above $100 while local shops are below $100.

So, if you need repairs, it'll be quite expensive:

Popular item: $4,500 heater
Maybe you also should cut down on using $3,800 Air Conditioner!

Reactions: kaidou
I have a 2013 Model S that I've owned from the beginning. I have approx. 87000 miles on it now. It's always been under warranty as I bought the extended warranty. It's $200 if I need to use the extended warranty, which I have for a slight amount of bubbling on my screen. I had it replaced. It is so inexpensive for any repairs if they have the warranty. I wouldn't worry about that for your parents. It's THE BEST car!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Hi,

There are a ton of experts in this form, so I wanted to ask a question to you model S owners!

I just recently purchased a new 2020 model 3 and I don't anticipate having to service that vehicle any time soon. However, my parents are considering buying a 2016 model S. So that's my question - How often will they need to service a used model S? and what costs will be associated with it? Google tells me it's just an annual checkup on the brakes. Any ideas on annual prices from owners?

Find out the in service date: 2016 still has at a minimum a warranty for 8 years unlimited miles are the two largest replacement costs items:
The Drive Unit and the Battery, they are good until 2024 or even longer depending on the in service date. (its not the date on the door sticker, mine was 18 months later... you new Model 3 warranty will most likely already be expired by then. 4 years / 50K (everything) and 8 year 125K miles for DU and Battery.

FYI OP make sure it is dual motor, that way it will still be driveable if one motor fails, so they won't get dehydrated in the desert :confused:

I have a 2013 Model S that I've owned from the beginning. I have approx. 87000 miles on it now. It's always been under warranty as I bought the extended warranty. It's $200 if I need to use the extended warranty, which I have for a slight amount of bubbling on my screen. I had it replaced. It is so inexpensive for any repairs if they have the warranty. I wouldn't worry about that for your parents. It's THE BEST car!

Good info. Question for you, after the initial 4 year warranty extension, how much will we have to pay to renew, and will it only be two year blcoks after that?

I am blessed with an outstanding service center in Columbus OH, recently had door handles and battery heater replaced, at the costs mentioned in this thread it makes a lot of sense to have warranty. I accelerate insanely (just below tire screech) and I know my DU will call it quits.

Item costs outside of warranty:
Touchscreen ~$3,000
Drive unit ~$12,000
Battery ~$24,000

You may get lucky and not have to replace any of these. But you may not.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch a Tesla outside its battery warranty period with a 10 foot pole.

Given they're looking at a 2016 car, they have 4 years to worry about the battery and drivetrain warranty running out

Reactions: PWlakewood
Yes. Plenty of batteries have failed. Are you suggesting they have not?

The upside is everyone is currently under warranty at this point. Wait until next year when that is no longer the case.
Please provide us the details on how many have failed. I know there have been issues with batteries since the roadster but please dont try and use scare tactics to get people to avoid buying an older tesla. They have held up well over the years and continue to achieve new milestones with longevity and usability even with the so called battery gate issues the cars are still very much useable.

Please provide us the details on how many have failed. I know there have been issues with batteries since the roadster but please dont try and use scare tactics to get people to avoid buying an older tesla. They have held up well over the years and continue to achieve new milestones with longevity and usability even with the so called battery gate issues the cars are still very much useable.
Please don't try and use fan boy tactics to get people to buy an older Tesla. Can you provide details for your statements? What does well mean?
From your signature: How did you get a 2013 Model S75? 75 kWh battery wasn't offered until 2016. This implies either a typo or the battery on your 2013 Model S was replaced.

Last edited:
Please don't try and use fan boy tactics to get people to buy an older Tesla. Can you provide details for your statements? What does well mean?
From your signature: How did you get a 2013 Model S75? 75 kWh battery wasn't offered until 2016. This implies either a typo or the battery on your 2013 Model S was replaced.
You are correct this fan boys battery was replaced with a 75 kwh in 2017 but as I said I know there were issues with some older batteries but not all so please don't try and make it seem like all older model s batteries have issues. And as most of us on TMC know that a huge percentage of the older model S that are out there have had their battery replaced or dont have issues. Also the majority of the used model S that are for sale could still be under the battery and drive unit warranty.......

Item costs outside of warranty:
Touchscreen ~$3,000
Drive unit ~$12,000
Battery ~$24,000

You may get lucky and not have to replace any of these. But you may not.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch a Tesla outside its battery warranty period with a 10 foot pole.

If you read my post, I was referring to original 2013 owners being out of warranty next year. Not OP.

Your original post doesnt mention the year

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
What was the point on a thread about buying a 2016 car? And you didn't mention year. Just stick to the topic of the thread
The point was no Tesla owner has had to pay for a battery out of warranty...yet. But starting next year they will. And batteries do fail. Even on 2016 vehicles. So that is an expense to consider down the road.

I didn’t mention a year because I figured people could handle simple math. Guess I was wrong.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The point was no Tesla owner has had to pay for a battery out of warranty...yet. But starting next year they will. And batteries do fail. Even on 2016 vehicles. So that is an expense to consider down the road.

I didn’t mention a year because I figured people could handle simple math. Guess I was wrong.
How can we "handle simple math" if you didnt provide us with the simple details of said math?

Ice engines fail but do people still buy those cars? Is there some secret list somewhere that lists all of the batteries that have failed? Why try and scare someone from buying a used tesla? Its still a used car and all used cars can have issues and those issues are not just reserved for tesla.