Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a used model S at Tesla’s website. There is a $500 non-refundable deposit. This will be my first used Tesla purchase. Since I can’t see the car and there are no photos available, I was wondering if someone can give me their used Tesla buying experience.

About 3-4 months ago, the used Tesla’s had photos and to reserve was a $100 and I believe it was refundable. But they changed all that. The photos are generic and it’s a $500 non refundable deposit. It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t like the car and I could use the deposit for another car but to lose it seems a bit much for a sight unseen purchase.

Reactions: bobby g
Just think of it like an arranged marriage or a mail order bride.
Neh, it's just a lottery which doesn't require gaming commission permits (and associated taxes). You can keep buying $500 tickets until you win the right to pay for a car you like. Elon is smart, gambling has historically been considered rather lucrative business. With his laser focus on profit, this will help.

I am also planning to buy a pre-owned model S. It's crazy that they are not showing pics and no test drive for pre-owned car. I have one question regarding FSD. so most of the pre-owned have AP2 or AP2.5. Is Tesla going to change the hardware to AP3 for no cost? The one I am looking at has FSD capability.

I am looking at a used model S at Tesla’s website. There is a $500 non-refundable deposit. This will be my first used Tesla purchase. Since I can’t see the car and there are no photos available, I was wondering if someone can give me their used Tesla buying experience.
$500 non-refundable...... sight un-seen? why dont you just send me the money on promise I'll send you a used ar of your dreams......I don't understand why one would want to buy something sight un-seen....a script h to someone maybe a gauge to somebody else.....remember, beauty is always in the eye of the guy who has current possession.....

what happens if you get the car and go see it and find all kinda of issues......remember promises are made upon delivery, but not always honored......unless they are in writing.....and even then, what is the time frame to get them fixed if they agree to fix it....also, remember "normal wear and tear" is also different on some peoples minds......so, I would be very reluctant it=f I were you....there have been some good deals, but today, you never really know what you are getting if you can't see it in advance......good luck with what ever decision you make

With the recent changes to the used Tesla buying experience, most people's experiences here will be different, and not really useful for comparison with the current buying process.

I bought my car from Tesla a little over a year ago, and I could see pictures of the car and discuss features with the sales advisor. The latter might still be possible, but the former is not. Since these aren't CPO cars that have been refurbished, and there is no guarantee about the extent of cosmetic blemishes, it's definitely a roll of the dice these days. You're really just banking on the one year warranty increasing the value of the car over buying a car elsewhere.

In my case that warranty has been valuable as I had a few things taken care of that would have set me back a few $k, but others have had no issues and the warranty is not worth much.

Reactions: 2101Guy
i say go for it. i was in the same boat as you in aug of 2020 and pulled the trigger. now i am a MS owener and cant be any happier. i was totally ready to walk out of the dealer and loosing my 500 only because of the buying experience and insufficiend communication and what not BUT at the end when i got the car i just couldnt believe it was a used car. the car i got looked brand new and still today people think i bought a new car. their used cars are in excellent condition from what i hear and experienced (for the most part) i am sure someone here might disagree but its like that in anything. i say go for it. just think about worst case senario is all you loose is 500. now if you cant afford to loose 500 bucks then you shouldnt be looking at Teslas.

Picked up a used 75D 12 months ago. Love the car more every day (more after the HW3 and MCU upgrade)
Learn as much as you can about your car and options so when you show up you have knowledge to ask any remaining questions(premium connectivity, FSD, other options). Pictures I received were almost useless. Expect the car to be in good but not perfect condition. expect Service to not be very easy to navigate if you have issues after you drive home. If you expect a BMW or Mercedes buying experience you will be disappointed. If you were an early iPhone or android adopter and can focus on the positives you will be amazed with the car.
Good luck
K

Reactions: Durwood101