Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model X cost savings vs future proofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If i search ev cpo and buy a model x with FSD, shouldnt it not matter what cpu is in there?
Just like my model 3 i have FSD, arent you supposed to get the cpu upgrade for free since you already purchases FSD?

If you buy a car with paid FSD (and please be careful Tesla has not and will not just remove it), you are entitled to the HW3 FSD computer upgrade, free of charge. However that is not the MCU computer that drives the center display. The old MCU 1 (up to 3/4 through 2018?) is very slow, limited in what it can display of the car's surroundings and what the browser will do (slowly), won't play all the games/Netflix/Sentry videos, and has the eMMC problem that is hitting many older cars now. The new MCU2 is much more useful and has a better eMMC. Tesla is charging $2500 to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, and says this upgrade is not necessary for FSD. They also do not switch from the old analog radio to the new digital radio when doing the upgrade, so the FM radio is no longer available. Maybe that will be a later upgrade?

If I were shopping I wouldn't worry about MCU1/MCU2 other than to add $2500 to the price of the car to do the upgrade. Or if FM radio (which you lose when upgrading to MCU2, but is available normally with MCU1 or MCU2 cars) is important to you.

I went with a XP100D off the Tesla website. I love it. I waited on the car I wanted, and I took the plunge when I saw it. I've heard the range and reliability of the 100 battery pack is much better. All I know is mine works well, and it's blazing fast when I want it to be, but conservative on battery usage otherwise because of how I usually drive. Plus I'm getting a ton of use out of the towing package with my bass fishing addiction - which is precisely why I bought the X. Starting with a charge of 93%, I towed my boat/motor/trailer 154 miles to my house without stopping. Believe I had 9% left.

If you buy a car with paid FSD (and please be careful Tesla has not and will not just remove it), you are entitled to the HW3 FSD computer upgrade, free of charge. However that is not the MCU computer that drives the center display. The old MCU 1 (up to 3/4 through 2018?) is very slow, limited in what it can display of the car's surroundings and what the browser will do (slowly), won't play all the games/Netflix/Sentry videos, and has the eMMC problem that is hitting many older cars now. The new MCU2 is much more useful and has a better eMMC. Tesla is charging $2500 to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, and says this upgrade is not necessary for FSD. They also do not switch from the old analog radio to the new digital radio when doing the upgrade, so the FM radio is no longer available. Maybe that will be a later upgrade?

If I were shopping I wouldn't worry about MCU1/MCU2 other than to add $2500 to the price of the car to do the upgrade. Or if FM radio (which you lose when upgrading to MCU2, but is available normally with MCU1 or MCU2 cars) is important to you.

thanks super helpful.