Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model X cost savings vs future proofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for a used model X. I plan to purchase through Tesla. I had a new model 3 on order, but my wife and I decided that the X makes more sense for our family of 6. We already have a minivan but figured the extra space would still be beneficial.

I am looking to spend 50-70k. There are lots of AP1 90D out there but when it comes to AP2 most are 75D. Would it better to go with a FSD AP2 75D so that it can be upgraded to the self driving computer or at the end of the day will AP1 90D give me a similar driving experience with the benefit of potentially additional cost savings and extra range? Unfortunately the used 100D models are more than I’d like to spend.

The car will primarily be a commuter for me- 50-60 miles round trip and local errands, etc on weekends. We will probably use the minivan for longer road trips.

thanks!

If you keep watching the FSD prices they are dropping at a very quick pace. Since you have such a wide budget I would keep an eye on those listed with FSD because they are going to be the way to go. Being the potential 2nd owner of an FSD enabled vehicle right now while used prices are falling imo is a must if you were considering it to be an option.

Just my two cents.

What other features in particular are you looking for?

This seems like a great value and fits your requirements.

X 90D, 44k miles (4 year 50k mile warranty), FSD enabled, 6 seat config, free supercharging for $56k. Get the $2.5k infotainment upgrade and it will get better screen performance and the newer features.

2016 Model X | Tesla

P100D w/ 43k miles, FSD, free supercharging, 7 seater also in your budget at $67k
2016 Model X | Tesla

Thanks!

both look like good deals. They are both a bit beat up on the exterior based on close up photos - any thoughts on how much of a concern that should be? Also, possibly a dumb question but how difficult is it to get those California EV stickers off?

This seems like a great value and fits your requirements.

X 90D, 44k miles (4 year 50k mile warranty), FSD enabled, 6 seat config, free supercharging for $56k. Get the $2.5k infotainment upgrade and it will get better screen performance and the newer features.

2016 Model X | Tesla

P100D w/ 43k miles, FSD, free supercharging, 7 seater also in your budget at $67k
2016 Model X | Tesla

Do you expect more used 100D to be available at some point and/or is there a reason the price would drop?

prices are dropping all the time. each month the average seems to go down by like 5k. i got my 3y old X for 75k less than brand new, lol. A year later, trade in value dropped by another 20k. availability increases as leases expire and when new models come up and people want to upgrade

When we were shopping for Model X back in October 2017, the Tesla sales person told us not to get the 90D. He said the 90D has a battery degradation problem. And the new 75d battery is actually like a 85 kwh battery or something like that. So we ended up with the 75D for like $19k less.

The 75D battery capacity still dropped over time. 2 years later, my 90% charge drops from 209 miles to 200 miles which is like 4.5%... not too bad I guess.

the only reason to get the 90D is if you get the P90DL for the speed. otherwise don't even bother. My 90% on my P90DL is 197 miles but my 0-60 is rated at 3 sec. If you want to save money get the 75D and have same range, or spend just a little bit more on the 100D and get a far better deal without the degradation.

Reactions: Iceh8r
X75 is a pretty good package. That battery weighs less than the bigger ones and that gives some benefits.

Tesla "Uncorked" many of them for significantly enhanced performance that makes them pretty quick. (Tesla can ask Tesla to provide that...no charge. Make sure you get a tow package if that is important to you, and while the 22" wheels are beautiful, they reduce range and ride a little rougher.

Before shopping for used, be sure to price out a new Raven Long Range X on line. This will give you are fresh perspective of what savings you will be achieving by buying used. (Pricing of new X have dropped recently and they have added lots of improvements.)

The pricing on the X75 will allow you to get a newer version for the same price as an older X90.

Consider buying from a private party instead of directly from Tesla. Often they can transfer Extended autopilot (good) or Full Self Driving (better) as well as Free Unlimited Supercharging to the first transfer. With so many people out of work right now, there are some good deals to be found.

I agree with @forkee . I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 100 battery. 90's have a lot of problems (do some searching on this site, and you will find there are some lawsuits surrounding these). I personally would not get an X with AP 2.0 hardware. They will sell you that these are FSD capable, but they haven't really figured out how they are going to retrofit these 2.0 hardware cars for FSD. For $70K, the top of your budget, you can find an 100D Model X with AP 2.5. These exist for under $70K, and there will be more to come. Set yourself up with an account on ev-cpo.com and filter on used Model X, with requirements of AP 2.5 and a 100 battery pack. There are a few currently available.

Thanks - I will keep watching- looking for 6 seats

I agree with @forkee . I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 100 battery. 90's have a lot of problems (do some searching on this site, and you will find there are some lawsuits surrounding these). I personally would not get an X with AP 2.0 hardware. They will sell you that these are FSD capable, but they haven't really figured out how they are going to retrofit these 2.0 hardware cars for FSD. For $70K, the top of your budget, you can find an 100D Model X with AP 2.5. These exist for under $70K, and there will be more to come. Set yourself up with an account on ev-cpo.com and filter on used Model X, with requirements of AP 2.5 and a 100 battery pack. There are a few currently available.

Thanks - I will keep watching- looking for 6 seats

6 seats will be harder to get under $70K if you are looking for a 2.5 w/ 100 battery pack. But they'll be out there! If you sign up for a paid account on ev-cpo, you can put in all of your criteria, and get an email alert as soon as a car that fits your budget and specs hit. It's fantastic. If you don't already know, these used Tesla swing in price by sometimes thousands of dollars per day. You should definitely get a tracker to help track these swings.

Reactions: Iceh8r and EV-CPO
Time is your friend.

Sold my 2019 7 seat Raven X 100D FSD with <10k miles for ~80k. Outside of a windshield chip, it was in perfect condition. Had no takers for ~1 week when listed here, CL and AutoTrader pre-COVID, then dumped it at Carmax.

In the same way that Model S values dropped with the intro of the 3, Model X values will be the most at risk with the Model Y.

If I had to choose a 100D that is in my price range but doesn’t have PUP or subzero would you make that tradeoff for increased battery? I live in the upper Midwest so winters are cold.

6 seats will be harder to get under $70K if you are looking for a 2.5 w/ 100 battery pack. But they'll be out there! If you sign up for a paid account on ev-cpo, you can put in all of your criteria, and get an email alert as soon as a car that fits your budget and specs hit. It's fantastic. If you don't already know, these used Tesla swing in price by sometimes thousands of dollars per day. You should definitely get a tracker to help track these swings.

If I had to choose a 100D that is in my price range but doesn’t have PUP or subzero would you make that tradeoff for increased battery? I live in the upper Midwest so winters are cold.

Since it's cold, I would aim for 100D AND Sub-Zero! Totally do-able. If you search ev-cpo (even w/ a free account) you will see an X for $69,100. It has HW 2.5, SubZero, PUP, and the stereo upgrade. Hits all the boxes, except for the 6-seat config. For that, you'll probably need to wait. Patience will be your best bet here. Your perfect car will come up.....

Reactions: EV-CPO
The newer ones just have PUP and subzero as part of the base package, no ? The only delete IIRC was cooled seats...

I also think that all 100D Model X has it subzero included in the base version. Our 75D has it and at the time 100D was not available for purchase yet.... only 90D. Also all 100D has tow package included... it is an option for most 90D unless it was made in the later part of 2017.

Reactions: john85775
If the car has full self-driving software you will get the upgrade of hardware. No need to do 2.5. As it happens I'm looking right now at Xs. I don't see any problem in their doing the upgrade soon. What they releasing will not be workable on ap2 or even 2.5 hardware. So they got to do something about it.

Reactions: KBaoBao