TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Used Model X from Tesla has 3/4 wheels painted black

Discussion in 'Model X' started by adaboost, Dec 2, 2019.

?

Reasonable outcome?

1. Tesla should replace

41.7%
  2. Eat the cost / live with it

50.0%
  3. Ask previous owner to replace (which we have due to PII being left in the car)

8.3%
  4. Tesla should split the diff in cost with me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. adaboost

adaboost Member

Hey all,

Wondering if you guys can help set my expectations properly.

I recently bought a used Model X from Tesla, on the listing it states 22" black onyx rims. After a couple of days it starts raining (Bay area) I noticed that the finish looks different for 1 of the wheels. Specifically, 3 out of the 4 wheels looked like they had a layer of brake dust that I would need to scrub off.

I took it to our detailer and his opinion is that the 3 wheels were painted. He had another model x with the same wheels in the shop which matched only the 1 unpainted wheel on my X.

At this point I have an unrelated service appointment coming up next week, wondering if it's within reason to ask them to replace the 3 painted rims with stock factory ones? Also why would someone only paint 3? If they did all 4, no one would have noticed. Or if it was the 2 front then it could just be baked in brake dust.

Technically, they are all black wheels, and i believe Tesla sells their cars as is. Just seems like they should have disclosed any mods, or perhaps they didn't notice it either. Don't want to be _that guy_ at the service center, what do you all think?

2. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

My guess is the original owner either damaged their wheels and had them replaced with poorly refurb ones or bought poorly refurbed ones.

You can try, but when you buy used, you're more or less buying "As Is" and why I would NEVER buy a used car.

They are no longer CPO cars.

They were screwed and you were screwed. Maybe you can split the difference.

3. adaboost

adaboost Member

#3 adaboost, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Car was purchased 2 weeks ago. Attached pictures of all 4 wheels. 5970233721.jpg 5970234931.jpg 5970234761.jpg 5970233561.jpg

Good suggestion - added split the diff as an option in the poll.

Also wondering how the warranty would work? If I have an issue (e.g. crack) down the line with the painted wheels, could they refuse service due to the paint?

4. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Any used car is sold 'as is'. They may add a warranty to repair things, but you end up with whatever damage the previous owner inflicted and did not get repaired.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

The first picture shows a prior curb rash. Is that the one that is different? If so I suspect that it was repainted and the painter choose the wrong color.

6. adaboost

adaboost Member

Actually the first one is the stock one @[email protected] - it matched all 4 of another X in the detailers shop.

7. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi Adaboost,

Compromise... Ask to paint the 4th wheel to match the others...

Shawn

8. McManX

McManX Member

Are you within the return window? Not sure how that works for pre-owned.

9. Tslacg

Tslacg Member

I'd be more concerned with what happened to the original 3 rims that they got replaced and why there is an out of place stock rim. How many sets were used to make the 4 on your car now. I'd take the tires off and make sure rims weren't cracked and welded back, etc etc.

You can always powder coat them the same color for a few hundred bucks.

10. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Supporting Member

Difficult to tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears the repainted rims were repaired at some point. I see a few edges where it looks like the wheel was filed down to remove curb rash. Not unusual, but something keep in mind.

I'd bring it up with the SC to see what they might be able to do. It's also good to document this issue now, as I've had experience with refurbished 22" wheels that ultimately caused rotor damage. Hope for the best, but also be prepared to eat the cost of refinishing. Just find a reputable place to do the work. Have them inspect the wheels for any bends/structural damage while they're at it, and ensure they leave the rotor mating surfaces clear and smooth.