Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X from Tesla has 3/4 wheels painted black

Reasonable outcome?

• Tesla should split the diff in cost with me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Wondering if you guys can help set my expectations properly.

I recently bought a used Model X from Tesla, on the listing it states 22" black onyx rims. After a couple of days it starts raining (Bay area) I noticed that the finish looks different for 1 of the wheels. Specifically, 3 out of the 4 wheels looked like they had a layer of brake dust that I would need to scrub off.

I took it to our detailer and his opinion is that the 3 wheels were painted. He had another model x with the same wheels in the shop which matched only the 1 unpainted wheel on my X.

At this point I have an unrelated service appointment coming up next week, wondering if it's within reason to ask them to replace the 3 painted rims with stock factory ones? Also why would someone only paint 3? If they did all 4, no one would have noticed. Or if it was the 2 front then it could just be baked in brake dust.

Technically, they are all black wheels, and i believe Tesla sells their cars as is. Just seems like they should have disclosed any mods, or perhaps they didn't notice it either. Don't want to be _that guy_ at the service center, what do you all think?

My guess is the original owner either damaged their wheels and had them replaced with poorly refurb ones or bought poorly refurbed ones.

You can try, but when you buy used, you're more or less buying "As Is" and why I would NEVER buy a used car.

They are no longer CPO cars.

They were screwed and you were screwed. Maybe you can split the difference.

Car was purchased 2 weeks ago. Attached pictures of all 4 wheels.
5970233721.jpg
5970234931.jpg
5970234761.jpg
5970233561.jpg

Good suggestion - added split the diff as an option in the poll.

Also wondering how the warranty would work? If I have an issue (e.g. crack) down the line with the painted wheels, could they refuse service due to the paint?

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned with what happened to the original 3 rims that they got replaced and why there is an out of place stock rim. How many sets were used to make the 4 on your car now. I'd take the tires off and make sure rims weren't cracked and welded back, etc etc.

You can always powder coat them the same color for a few hundred bucks.

Difficult to tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears the repainted rims were repaired at some point. I see a few edges where it looks like the wheel was filed down to remove curb rash. Not unusual, but something keep in mind.

I'd bring it up with the SC to see what they might be able to do. It's also good to document this issue now, as I've had experience with refurbished 22" wheels that ultimately caused rotor damage. Hope for the best, but also be prepared to eat the cost of refinishing. Just find a reputable place to do the work. Have them inspect the wheels for any bends/structural damage while they're at it, and ensure they leave the rotor mating surfaces clear and smooth.