Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X paint defect - warranty issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Purchased my 2017 model X from Tesla last month and there's a swarm of issues we have been dealing with... One issue we recently noticed was the roof of the vehicle has faded paint, which looks clearly like a defect. However, upon sending the picture to the service center via text (not through the mobile app since we had an existing service appt already in place and the service center was texting us back/forth), they came back with a high cost estimate and stated, "Any cosmetic and or paint items notated after 100 miles of delivery are not covered under the vehicles limited warranty. All items are considered customer pay unless specified from a due bill from delivery."

I've scoured the warranty terms and cannot find anything that references paint defects are only covered within 100 miles of vehicle delivery. Anyone experience something like this? Thanks for any advice...

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 138
oh man , my condolences. how many miles did you have on your vehicle before reporting it? based on my recent experience purchasing a used Tesla direct, it's pure hell getting them to accept on warranty coverage at all nonetheless a cosmetic one. However, my best recommendation is work with your Used Sales Advisor. Since it sounds like it was very recent, he should be still able to get your issue escalated to management to resolve. I had to do this within the first week of purchase.

Thanks, I bought the car at 44010 mi and now have 4480 when I reported this faded paint on the roof. Our used sales advisor pretty much ignored my messages and referred me to get a service appt and they will cover it if it's under warranty. They did agree to cover the issues that we saw immediately (trunk alignment, spoiler paint bubbles, undercarriage missing multiple bolts), but unfortunately we didn't notice the faded paint and gooey weather seals on the roof until 3 weeks after. Even if I've surpassed the 100 mi after delivery... I don't understand how something like this isn't covered in their warranty anyways. o_O:(