Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X (Perf) vs. New Model Y (Perf)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post in Model X forum so don’t roast me please. I’m a Model S transplant. I had ordered a MS LR+ on 10/19 and it was never delivered and with the refresh the price has gone from $82k to $96k all-in. So, that lead me to start evaluating should I go with a new MY Performance or a used Model X P100D?

Some may say, why even think about it go, Model X or vice versa. I’m looking to understand if the air suspension really matters that much. Anyone have experience with used, especially Model X? I would only buy from Tesla.

What I can find is: 2017/2018 P100D for ~$80-85k vs. new MY Perf @ $72k.

I don’t have kids so it’s not a matter of space. I value ride, I like the vertical screen but I also like that the MY has the app features and wireless chargers.

How would you folks evaluate the choice? Obviously speed and range are similar.

The air suspension really matters that much. If ride quality is important to you the Y is unbearably stiff.

That said, I don’t necessarily consider the X a better vehicle. Older battery tech. Outdated screen and the obnoxious doors are negatives for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: jb401 and TespaceX
A 2017/2018 X is NOT smooth riding despite the air suspension. The Raven X (builds starting in May 2019) with the revised air suspension is significantly smoother.

I passed on a 2017 X specifically due to ride quality (and it had the smaller 20” wheels). Ride comfort matters a lot to me (coming from decades of Lexus vehicles) and only the Raven S/X checked the box.

I test drove the Y a few months ago and think it’s a great value but, again, felt the ride quality was too stiff. Between your two choices, I would go with the Performance Y due to better efficiency and honestly comparable ride quality to pre-Raven X. Drive them both and experience it for yourself.

Reactions: jb401
I find ride quality in my 2019 pre-raven X 100D to be much better than model 3 (owned for 2 years) or Y (test driven). In fact, it was big enough of a difference that I sold my 3 and got a pre-raven S instead. Much happier with the X/S combo now. I realize it may be subjective. Just my 2 cents for the original poster, since that was the comparison being made.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Super helpful, thank you. I didn't realize the difference in air suspension between variants. It sounds like there is enough of a difference to warrant looking at a Raven S/X. The issue is just lack of inventory at this point which we all are very aware of.

I have Raven X and MYP. Difference in ride quality is vast, even after I put lightweight 19s on the Y, the X is so much more comfortable.

However, the Y is much more fun to drive. It feels tight and precise. If it's just me, I'd rather drive the Y, it's a weapon with good wheels and tires.

The Y is also more practical in terms of moving stuff (not kids/people) than my 6-seat X (would be reversed if I had 5 seater X). The openness of the back seats of the X however, is so good my kids can change in/out of their ski gear back there - fantastic use case in Covid times.

Of course, if you have the Y and not the X do you miss the ride quality of the X? Same goes for the reverse... So w/o kids, the driving enjoyment of the Y is so much more that you might be happy with it + some coilovers, which will still save you a bunch of money over a new MXP.

Get a MYP and spend a little extra on upgraded wheels/tires and coilovers to soften the ride.

Reactions: Bigriver
I have a 2018 P100D; which I bought private party vs. Tesla. It was a “every box” checked X and we have 3 kids too. So having a 3rd row was of utmost importance.

Go drive them all and make a decision from there. We all have varying opinions, but it’s going to come down to what matters to you and how much you want to spend. I find the X to have a lot of features I love which the Y will never have.

First post in Model X forum so don’t roast me please. I’m a Model S transplant. I had ordered a MS LR+ on 10/19 and it was never delivered and with the refresh the price has gone from $82k to $96k all-in. So, that lead me to start evaluating should I go with a new MY Performance or a used Model X P100D?

Some may say, why even think about it go, Model X or vice versa. I’m looking to understand if the air suspension really matters that much. Anyone have experience with used, especially Model X? I would only buy from Tesla.

What I can find is: 2017/2018 P100D for ~$80-85k vs. new MY Perf @ $72k.

I don’t have kids so it’s not a matter of space. I value ride, I like the vertical screen but I also like that the MY has the app features and wireless chargers.

How would you folks evaluate the choice? Obviously speed and range are similar.
Just one quick thing - you mentioned the wireless charger. For older Xs, it's a quick and fairly cheap ($125) upgrade to go wireless. I did it and like it. I actually have 2 wireless chargers in mine. The Tesla version sits a little too far back to be able to see the phone. The other one I added allows me to see my phone.

@BieberFever, you obviously haven’t read some of the other Model X threads in which there are those who claim that there is NO crossover between Model X and Model Y customers - That they are such different vehicles that no one who could afford an X would consider a Y. I strongly disagree with that, and so I smile each time a thread like this pops up of someone who is considering the pros and cons of an X vs a Y. I think there are advantages of each and the right answer for each person is more than a financial choice.

One thing I don’t ever see people mention as a consideration when comparing them: cupholders. As an owner of an S, you are aware of the pre-refresh model X design. I hate the cupholders location. I am always so happy to get in my model 3 and have a reasonable place to put my drink, and also to have a much better arm rest. Happy to see they have fixed this in the refreshed S/X.

We no longer have our X but one thing it did was turn heads like other Teslas can do. The Falcon Wing doors were a huge attention getter and my kids hated the attention when i’d drop the family at a restaurant door. We were very early Model X adopters so that attention may be different today based on we’re you live. The Performance X also has far more punch than even a Performance 3 has so the Performance Y is another step down. We had 22’s and the X does loose some range if you drive much above 70mph due to the drag that the S and 3 do not suffer as much from, I can’t speak to the Y on the drag but it may be similar. The amazing windshield view in the X is another big plus that no other Tesla, or other car, can match. The windshield ghosting on the X is still an issue I believe, it bothers some people more than others though.

I have a 2018 P100D; which I bought private party vs. Tesla. It was a “every box” checked X and we have 3 kids too. So having a 3rd row was of utmost importance.

Go drive them all and make a decision from there. We all have varying opinions, but it’s going to come down to what matters to you and how much you want to spend. I find the X to have a lot of features I love which the Y will never have.
Hi, can I ask as you seem to be an experienced Model X p100d owner, im looking at a 2018 model x p100d. Is it really quick in ludicrous mode? Not ludicrous + just ludicrous mode? I have a m3p and want a bigger comfier car to carry me and the family around but I want similar performance when putting my foot down! Thanks in advance.

Hi, can I ask as you seem to be an experienced Model X p100d owner, im looking at a 2018 model x p100d. Is it really quick in ludicrous mode? Not ludicrous + just ludicrous mode? I have a m3p and want a bigger comfier car to carry me and the family around but I want similar performance when putting my foot down! Thanks in advance.

yes, no question the X is very, very fast in just ludicrous mode. In fact, it‘s as fast as my Porsche 997.2 Turbo that is modified as well. Based on the weight of the X, its extremely impressive how quick it gets going with the instant acceleration. I haven’t even used Luda + mode yet as it is bound to get me in trouble with speed.

You have nothing to worry about with performance outside of the fact the X is a lot more heavier and a bigger SUV from the Model 3.