Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X vs. a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was one of the first to deposit on a Model 3 but let it lapse after a test drive. The 3 drove well, but with no hatchback and limited cargo room it was not practical for my needs. I'm still driving my trusty old ICE Lexus SUV. Now the dilemma: to purchase a good low mileage Model X 90 now or wait for the Model Y. Online resources pin the price of either, comparably equipped, at about $60k. As I'm a newbie to the Tesla world advice from the more experienced would be appreciated!

Wednesday at earnings conference we should hear new Model Y production timeline estimates. Model Y will still be hard to come by until Q3 when production ramps up. You might have to order a performance Y to get one earlier as Tesla tends to deliver those first. Model Y will have faster charging, latest hardware 3, be more efficient than used Model X and perhaps some unannounced features.

Last edited:
Wednesday at earnings conference we should hear new Model Y production timeline estimates. Model Y will still be hard to come by until Q3 when production ramps up. You might have to order a performance Y to get one earlier as Tesla tends to deliver those first. Model Y will have faster charging, latest hardware 3, be more efficient than used Model X and perhaps some unannounced features.

Some X have HW3 and most are eligible for it.

Y will not be seating 6-7 anytime soon.

When it does, it won’t sit them as comfortably. Also has much less storage.

Y also does not have the cachet of an X.

I predicted the 3 would obliterate the S years ago and I don’t feel the Y would impact the X so drastically.

I was in the same boat, I wanted a Model Y, but needed a truck now and the new Model Y won't be available for at least a year if you haven't reserved it yet. I went ahead and bought a model X. I love it. The massive glass windshield is amazing, the falcon wing doors are impressive, the speed is addicting, you never have to go to the gas station, no maintenance, it's been great. An older used Model X is about the same price as a model Y, but is available now. One disadvantage of the older Teslas is they won't have hardware 3 needed for full self driving, but we don't really know if that will ever actually be available, that should not be the reason to buy the car.

The sooner you buy a Tesla, the sooner you can enjoy your Tesla, get it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: wreighven
What do you plan on using the car for? If it is carrying more than 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 small children, I would consider an X. Y is not going to be much larger than the Model 3 for passengers when you also carry the usually amount of backpacks and things.