Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X, Year to Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A number of people are noting the importance of charging speeds, but I disagree that is a notable issue among pre-refresh model X’s. First, it is a moving target. Many cars have gotten boosts lately. Here is a recent thread with different reports of V3 speeds and as an example an early 2017 reports 173 kW while a 2020 owner was excited when they recently got a little over 200 kW. These are not notable differences.

My New Record for Charging Speed

I could care less about charging speeds. In fact I purposely don’t navigate to super chargers so that it does not precondition the battery. I use SuperCharging a lot so I prefer it not charge at bleeding edge rates. SuperCharging is hard on the batteries. Which is why Tesla discourages doing it to often. Why push it to the limit if you can spare the 10-15 more minutes.

Reactions: elguapo
I see a couple of MXs on Tesla's website. They have similar VINs are they're both AP 2.5. That said, one says it has the infotainment upgrade and the other doesn't have that info. They both have warranties ending in December 2021. The newer VIN doesn't have the infotainment mention on the ordering page.

I think the answer is yes but just so I'm sure: Do they both have MCU2? AP2.5 includes MCU2?

I think the answer is yes but just so I'm sure: Do they both have MCU2? AP2.5 includes MCU2?
The answer is no. The infotainment upgrade = MCU2. The one without the infotainment upgrade has MCU1. That is about the display and user interface.

AP2.5 is the set of hardware associated with autopilot that cars built starting August 2017 have. If it has full self driving, the autopilot computer has been upgraded to HW3.

Not to confuse things further, but sometimes it has been reported that the infotainment upgrade has also included HW3, even if the car does not have FSD.

Reactions: Esquire
I currently have my 2020 M3 Performance listed for sale and for a while, I have been set on the idea of upgrading to a 2021 Model Y LR. Recently I have considered if a used Model X would be the better decision.

In my opinion, the X is much, much cooler than the Y, even without considering the refresh. The automatic doors, 6 seat interior, and just overall styling of the X is much more appealing to me. If I had the money for a brand new Model X I would purchase one in a heartbeat. I have found used MXs online for around a similar price to a brand new MY, if not a little bit more. I might be willing to spend a little bit extra for a used MX but there are some things I am worried about; general used car anxiety as well as the ever-changing improvements Tesla makes to their vehicles.

Since the trend appears to be a later year MX results in a lower price, what would be the latest year to consider while still taking into account software and hardware changes? I have heard some things about MCU recalls however technical talk like that is practically a different language to me. I don't think I would go below a 2017 year MX. Because any car purchase is a big investment, I want to be sure that I am spending the money on something that is worth it and something that is going to last.

Any extra advice about buying used, whether through a third party or through Tesla would also be greatly appreciated!
I went from a 2018 low VIN Model 3 to an April 2017 Model X 100D. Like you, I was bouncing back and forth between a NEW Model Y and a USED Model X. At the time I made my decision (May 2020), Tesla was giving some fantastic deals due, in part, to the pandemic and the low sales they were experiencing at that particular time (or that's my theory, anyway). I got free supercharging, FSD, and the 4-year/50k mile warranty included. I have no regrets going with the X instead of the Y. I had to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2, and it cost me $2500 to do so, but it brought the car up to standard. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is to not fear a mid-2017 Model X if you can find the features and price you want; especially if you buy it direct from Tesla. While your warranty period won't be as sweet as what I got, you'll at least have enough of a warranty to fix anything mechanical that you discover after you drive it for a while. Keep us posted!

I went from a 2018 low VIN Model 3 to an April 2017 Model X 100D. Like you, I was bouncing back and forth between a NEW Model Y and a USED Model X. At the time I made my decision (May 2020), Tesla was giving some fantastic deals due, in part, to the pandemic and the low sales they were experiencing at that particular time (or that's my theory, anyway). I got free supercharging, FSD, and the 4-year/50k mile warranty included. I have no regrets going with the X instead of the Y. I had to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2, and it cost me $2500 to do so, but it brought the car up to standard. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is to not fear a mid-2017 Model X if you can find the features and price you want; especially if you buy it direct from Tesla. While your warranty period won't be as sweet as what I got, you'll at least have enough of a warranty to fix anything mechanical that you discover after you drive it for a while. Keep us posted!

Good to know, it always makes you feel a little better to hear first hand experiences, and positive ones at that! I noticed in your signature that you have a white on white configuration, I would love to see some pictures if you have any! White on white is what I would go for, the 22" black rims would be a plus but its not a necessity.

Sharing my expectations and experience.

Over the weekend, I bought a used 2019 Raven SR Model X. I was on a month on month extended lease on my 2017 Model S so it was easy to return it and buy the newer car. The range of the SR is more than enough for my needs and with COVID, there's not a lot of active travelling so I pulled the trigger on the Raven X that popped up in my search on Tesla Info: (Your range needs could be different).

Once I confirmed it was a Raven and it had just 2.7K miles on it, clean carfax owned only by Tesla, I was confident and placed my order. I ordered the car on 2/21 and Tesla had it transported to my local center for delivery on 2/25 and I took delivery the next day. With the newer MCU, Raven (faster supercharging), newer tech etc I was comfortable with the whole buy.

So, if you find a used Raven and later Model X, you can be safe to take the plunge. Good luck on your decisions !

Two sites that helped me.

1. - Tesla Info: A buyers guide, worldwide inventory listings and support for owners
2. - TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: joeyjackson
Sharing my expectations and experience.

Over the weekend, I bought a used 2019 Raven SR Model X. I was on a month on month extended lease on my 2017 Model S so it was easy to return it and buy the newer car. The range of the SR is more than enough for my needs and with COVID, there's not a lot of active travelling so I pulled the trigger on the Raven X that popped up in my search on Tesla Info: (Your range needs could be different).

Once I confirmed it was a Raven and it had just 2.7K miles on it, clean carfax owned only by Tesla, I was confident and placed my order. I ordered the car on 2/21 and Tesla had it transported to my local center for delivery on 2/25 and I took delivery the next day. With the newer MCU, Raven (faster supercharging), newer tech etc I was comfortable with the whole buy.

So, if you find a used Raven and later Model X, you can be safe to take the plunge. Good luck on your decisions !

Two sites that helped me.

1. - Tesla Info: A buyers guide, worldwide inventory listings and support for owners
2. - TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory

Thanks for the reply! I am not set on buying through Tesla but if I could find the right one, buying through Tesla would definitely be preferred. The websites that you linked are really helpful, I feel like it gives me a lot more to choose from than just what is in my area. Nice to know that I might not have to sacrifice some of the features I want just because it's a good deal.

Reactions: johnking
Get an X that can handle v2 supercharging. I'm not sure if 2019s have that?
I think you mean v3 Supercharging rates of 250 kW. In 2020, the S and X were able to charge at 250 kW. 2019 Ravens were updated to at least 225 kW. Tesla updates Model S and Model X Supercharging rate to 250 kW - Electrek

While it's nice to be able to hit higher charge rates, the decrease in Supercharging time is usually only a few minutes.

I've been able to hit 187 kW on my 2017 S100D when using v3 Superchargers.

Also, just, lol at the Pre-LCI X interior looking dated. .I thikn the most dated part of it is that it's not an OLED screen - we are going to be pretty accustomed to the black parts being truly black on our car screens soon and that will be an annoying part of the pre-LCI experience IMO - but I've not seen confirmation on whether the LCI cars will have OLED panels yet?
I had to google for a surprisingly long time to find out what an LCI is

That's some serious auto industry jargon there

"Life Cycle Impulse"