Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model Y Price Gouging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at the Toyota dealer where I sold my truck to last month as I had some money coming my way. They had a 2022 Model Y Long Range sitting out front. The only upgrade appears to be the wheels as the paint is white. Has just under 2000 miles. They are asking $83k for it. 😳. The sticker makes no mention if it has FSD or not but even if it did that’s quite a bit above a brand new one. I hate car dealers. 😡

Stopped at the Toyota dealer where I sold my truck to last month as I had some money coming my way. They had a 2022 Model Y Long Range sitting out front. The only upgrade appears to be the wheels as the paint is white. Has just under 2000 miles. They are asking $83k for it. 😳. The sticker makes no mention if it has FSD or not but even if it did that’s quite a bit above a brand new one. I hate car dealers. 😡
when I was younger, and apparently looking like a sucker, I had a Toy dealership refuse to sell me a year old 4x4 truck for less than 2000 over the fleet pricing for a new model. I knew the price quite precisely as my mother had just taken delivery. And then next day, I went to a different one that offered me the exact same price.

I guess these dealers land suckers often enough. OTOH, if you look at the Tesla site for used L:Rs, none are 2022s and still are priced in the 70s to low 80s, and they wouldn't have the last few upgrades like the cpu.

Reactions: Halldawg
I told my wife that if someone buys it at the $83k asking price, it goes along the line of “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

We really like our RAV4 Hybrid and before we bought the Model 3 we had looked at another hybrid from Toyota. The attitudes from the local Toyota dealers was stark, considering the reputation they had before the current situation. Let’s just say our view of Toyota has changed. I know they aren’t the only one. Ford is just as bad.

i inquired about the bz4x. 10k markup so it's a 55-60k car. getting a tesla y instead.
you could check with the Subaru dealers, where the EV credit is still available. Though I understand they immediately sold their expected supply for the year, and it wasn't very many units.

The Y is vastly more complete model. The shorter range of the Soltera could be fine for some folks, but the charging rate makes it no better than the Volt or the Leaf.

All the legacy auto makers had no EVs on the market a year or two ago (except 26 Volt/Bolt and a few negligible number), and all of sudden everyone is selling EVs now.
I really don't think they can compete with Tesla yet in terms of EV system as a whole. Tesla has been making the EV platform better everyday for 10 plus years now, and the legacy auto EVs are beating Tesla?? It doesn't make sense.
Of course, they can beat tesla for fit & finish and other ICE car related areas, but I feel like they are doing the hurry everything to be on the market first and figure out later type strategy.
There's no way that they can beat 10 plus years of R&D within a year or two while Tesla is investing way more R&D money than any other legacy auto out there.
Just my two cents.

Supply, meet demand.

All the legacy auto makers had no EVs on the market a year or two ago (except 26 Volt/Bolt and a few negligible number), and all of sudden everyone is selling EVs now.
I really don't think they can compete with Tesla yet in terms of EV system as a whole. Tesla has been making the EV platform better everyday for 10 plus years now, and the legacy auto EVs are beating Tesla?? It doesn't make sense.
Of course, they can beat tesla for fit & finish and other ICE car related areas, but I feel like they are doing the hurry everything to be on the market first and figure out later type strategy.
There's no way that they can beat 10 plus years of R&D within a year or two while Tesla is investing way more R&D money than any other legacy auto out there.
Just my two cents.
Pricing the Y at $82k also makes their hybrids look really attractive.

I told my wife that if someone buys it at the $83k asking price, it goes along the line of “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

We really like our RAV4 Hybrid and before we bought the Model 3 we had looked at another hybrid from Toyota. The attitudes from the local Toyota dealers was stark, considering the reputation they had before the current situation. Let’s just say our view of Toyota has changed. I know they aren’t the only one. Ford is just as bad.
The automobile dealer business model needs to die.

Individuals are selling their Rivians for 20k more than what they paid for them. It's not just dealers Private owners and the automakers including Tesla are all doing this
Same with Mach-Es, lots of people selling lower models and upgrading to newer models, etc due to the user car market, lack of availability, and EV credit.

Honestly I hope the IRS turns goes on an audit frenzy for all these people who are claiming 2+ EV credits within a year but only have a single EV registered to their name now.

Reactions: ZuleMYP
...and you've lived in this country how many years? Nothing new about supply and demand economics. It's the American Way, always has been.

Capitalism at it's best!
I have to agree - there are many things wrong with the dealership model, but this is simple supply and demand. The alternative is price regulation - I don’t think we want that.

Price regulation? I was in Warsaw, October 1980, beginning of Perestroika (breaking from the Soviet system). I found controlled pricing very interesting, as the price of bread or beets or cabbage in the city was the same as out in the countryside. You didn't have to waste time shopping for a bargain.

However, there wasn't any bread or beets or cabbage anywhere to be purchased. Hmm...

I have to agree - there are many things wrong with the dealership model, but this is simple supply and demand. The alternative is price regulation - I don’t think we want that.
It used to be before this pandemic, but supply/chip/employee shortage is the main culprit mainly caused by lockdowns and unnecessary panic worldwide.
and the price regulation the worst idea of all.