Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used models prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is now officially supporting older S/Xs to be fitted with their 'new' 85kWh pack that actually has as much if not more usable kWh than the original 90kWh packs, but not quite as much as the 100kWh pack. The price is actually pretty manageable at $20K (and apparently falling), versus £80K+ Tesla want for a new S/X.

For some one like me who has a car that has FSD already purchased, it actually makes very little sense to 'upgrade' to a new S/X, but much more sense to effectively keep the car long term and when/if needed buy a battery pack from Tesla.

Interestingly the cheapest Model Ss are now sub £30K, the MCU2 retrofit is sub £2K now, CCS retrofit is £150, pay Tesla £20K for a new 85kWh pack and for £50K you essentially have a near 300 mile range S for an significantly cheaper price than new. Clearly the cheaper the used car, and the cheaper Tesla can drop the price of the replacement pack the more sense it makes to 'upgrade' the older car.

I have to confess I was very dubious if Tesla would ever offer an official battery replacement program, as when you combine it with all other upgrades/retrofits it does seem like Tesla is following up on their promise of ensuring these cars remain as sustainable as possible. Financially and commercially none of these upgrades makes any sense, as all existing manufactures essentially forces you to buy a brand new car every few years.

Credit where credit is due, if Tesla eventually offer an 4080 battery in retrofit for cars made in 2013 in 2025, that really would be an industry first.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Used car prices irrespective of whether Tesla or not are going up. New car sales were down a lot in 2020 because of Covid which is resulting in rising prices. This is for the BMW i3S and BMW even dropped the new price recently to get it under the 35k threshold yet used prices have still gone up.. And I suspect the removal of the grant for all Teslas in the UK mean new prices have gone up 3.5k or so, which allows for the used prices to go up too.

As for Gruber.. he knows his roadsters, but he talks a lot of rubbish sometime. He's predicting the bottom falling out the classic car market because collectors won't want ICE and governments will ban the use of all ICE cars on roads.

Untitled.png