Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MS from Tesla website vs new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

My wife likes MS a lot.

We can afford only something around $65k price range .

For that price we can get only MS 2018 , with 250 miles range and premium HIFI.

We intend to use it only for city driving so range is no issue.

But for same price we can order new MY. My wife thinks MY is "boring and not fun car".

We already own new MY and we are looking to purchase our second Tesla..

Anyone here who own both cars?

Which car is more fun to drive around the city?

For city driving I might go with a M3. Fun ride and should fit in small parking spaces. 2018 MS is legacy so you’ll have to deal with not getting some of the latest software updates. But if it’s between the 2018 s and new Y I’d go with the MY. I’m a MS20 LR owner with a Y on order by the way.

I love my 2019 MS, and will likely trade it up for a new one in a few years, your wife has good taste. Still I think a new MY or M3 is a better choice if a new MS is not an option. When you look at the range, warranty, and software support going forward you will be happier for a lot longer going the new car route.

I agree with your wife. IMO, the S is much more comfortable....and it looks way, way better. Remember, the S cost 2x+ the Y when it was new....it was their flagship car. So now you're faced with the classic question - do I buy a 'cheaper' new car, or a nicer used car?

You already know what the Y is like since you have one. If you find it to be a little "harsh" to drive and lacking on interior features, try on an S.

The only thing to look at is - what's the warranty situation on a used S?

Reactions: vegasko
I chose the used MS instead of new M3 - MY was not out then but the used MS price from tesla.com then was much better than they are now. FWIW, the bumper to bumper warranty is very useful --- it used to be 4 years when I bought mine, but is now 1 year --- but most of the minor issues + MCU emmc issues happened in yr1 --- Yr2 did see the charging door mechanism not closing/opening and was fixed also, but that's a cheaper item fixed within an hour by the mobile service.

M3's only limitation is the rear door opening is a sedan opening - MY's full hatch door is much more useful for me as you can push a bike in from the bike.

Also with the M3 and MY there is now aftermarket screens you can add seamlessly to let you have a 2nd screen in front of you --- that part will make the car internals more like the MS.

I have a used 2017 S and my wife has a 2021 MY. Hands down the S is a better overall experience. But she wants to be higher up, S is too low for her. From my experience, the only downgrade you get with an S vs a Y, is the lack of future software updates. Currently my S is considered "Legacy" and I did not get some recent features like Blind spot camera, live sentry mode, and light show (this one who cares).

I'm happy with my S.
She is happy with her Y

It really depends what you want.

Also, remember to factor in the cost of an extended warranty for a used S vs a new Y. My warranty cost about $4k and covers me for the next 10 years and 100000 miles. But i consider that part of the purchase price of the car.

Reactions: vegasko