Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MX Unlimited Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently looking at used 2016/2017 Model X's to replace our X5. You guys have been a great help on learning all the Tesla nuances. I helped my dad get a 2014 P85DL and he's still getting free supercharging.

I understand free unlimited supercharging ended 1/2017, but I still have questions:

1) If I buy a 2016, will the free supercharging transfer?
2) Will something in the purchase trigger it to be shut off?
3) Will a dealer vs private seller buy help retain it?
4) If i have a dealer check to see if the free supercharging works, will it even matter due to the new owner being registered?
5) I see comments re: referral codes for supercharging, can someone explain this?

Maybe, Maybe, No, No, referral codes are only for new purchases.

The only way to know if FUSC will transfer is if the owner shows you what it says in their Tesla account. (Which you likely won't be able to see if it is at a dealer.)

Maybe, Maybe, No, No, referral codes are only for new purchases.

The only way to know if FUSC will transfer is if the owner shows you what it says in their Tesla account. (Which you likely won't be able to see if it is at a dealer.)

Thanks! So it's really just pot luck on the transfer? Assuming a private sale, does anyone know what triggers loss of supercharging vs not if it was active with previous owner? Do I just hope for the best?

Thanks! So it's really just pot luck on the transfer? Assuming a private sale, does anyone know what triggers loss of supercharging vs not if it was active with previous owner? Do I just hope for the best?

Like I said it depends on if it says FUSC will transfer in their account or not. But most of them of that age should. The ones that won't are the ones that were traded in to Tesla and were resold as used. So if you are buying from the original owner, before 1/2017, you are likely OK.

Charging is the same as his P85D. You just have a credit card on file with Tesla and they charge the card for each charge. He can use a credit card, yes?

Of course, but he would also likely have mentioned he figured out how to add it to his account or would stop talking about it being free.

So my take (correct me if wrong) - for cars sold pre 1/2017
1) Car Went Tesla CPO: Almost certainly gone. Presumably checking the VIN registry would help.
2) Private Party Sale with Active FUSC: Likely Okay
3) Dealer Sale: Maybe/Maybe not

Of course, but he would also likely have mentioned he figured out how to add it to his account or would stop talking about it being free.

So my take (correct me if wrong) - for cars sold pre 1/2017
1) Car Went Tesla CPO: Almost certainly gone. Presumably checking the VIN registry would help.
2) Private Party Sale with Active FUSC: Likely Okay
3) Dealer Sale: Maybe/Maybe not

correct. CPO would likely change it to “non transferable”

2 & 3 should be the same. Likely ok. The thing to watch out for is some dealer sales are cars purchased by the dealer at auction from Tesla. Those Tesla auction cars can have terms modified.

FWIW, there are used teslas for sale directly from tesla that have free supercharging on it. When you list the vehicles in their store, you can filter those that have that specific feature. I've noticed the ones that do typically have either 1) higher miles (above 40k) or 2) have legacy autopilot.

Being a new Tesla owner, I just noticed something today that might be relevant to this discussion. I charged at a supercharger just enough to get home and have ~20% , just a measly 40 "miles" charge that took about 30 minutes at 3pm. This cost me $5 to charge. That cost doesnt bother me so much but to consider that 40 miles at that cost is about the same as a standard modern SUV ICE vehicle with 87 gasoline. It's kind of shameful to think that the supercharge is on par with gas, it defeats the purpose of having an electric vehicle.