Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MX v New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw on a YouTube video "45 mins vs 20 mins" on average per charge. I put some numbers into A Better Routeplanner and for a 663 mile trip, it showed the X as 12:39 vs. the Y's time of 11:44. I used strictly the default settings in the planner; nothing added. ~50 mins over that length of a trip isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me.
Got it. I’ll say 45 mins from “low” to 80+ percent on the X is about right.

We test drove the Y and X back to back Saturday and I could say a million things but I’ll sum it up like this. After driving the Y, I keep trying to talk myself into it. After driving the X, I keep trying to talk myself out of it.
Very similar. I put the deposit on a 3 a long time ago, heard the Y was coming so I pulled it. Saw the Y finally and said meh. Drove a 3, said blah (I truly dislike the minimal interior). Then drove an X, loved it. Then rode in a Y and it is a...3. I don’t care how much the tech is upgraded (which doesn’t seem to be quantified most of the time beyond the credit card key and a couple of minor features), it doesn’t have the presence of the X and I hate the interior.

• Helpful
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As someone mentioned.. the wife wants a X so and X it will be. The 90 vs 100 is the discussion now, the Tesla 100 inventory is LIMITED.
I’ll add my thanks, as well. I’ve been trying all day to talk myself out of the X but I keep circling back to it. I feel I lucked into a pretty good deal on a LOADED 100D, so if it passes my inspection on delivery day, I’m in!

There is not that much difference in range from a 2016/17 90 to 100 FYI.

I also had a Y on order then test drove a 3 and an X and there is very little comparison. The X is definitely the luxury brand. I can imagine not having a dashboard and the built in screen. The 3/Y with the attached ipad screen is like driving a souped up golf cart in comparison.

I have a Model Y reservation that is getting close to delivery. The car will be a DD for my wife who has a long commute so Autopilot and FSD are important. We ended up at a Tesla Showroom the other day and we drove a 2020 MX. The 6 seat layout, two screens and slightly larger interior have won my wife over(2 kids, a dog and hobbies that require lots of stuff). The $100k+ price tag won’t work at the moment but used MXs around the MY price work (70ish).
We havnt canceled the MY yet but are close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 MX P90D directly from Tesla. Thanks to this forum I think I understand all the AP 2.0-> 3.0 stuff. The MX has FSD enabled so we should be able to get the upgrade. Here is where I get lost and it’s hard to search for an answer, It’s a 3/17 build so MCU 1.0(correct?), we like XM so that’s somewhat of a plus but what features would we miss other than streaming and a browser(don’t care).

Dog Mode?
Sentry?
Dash Cam?

Anything else I’m missing. I know we take a range hit from the MY hi but it would only really show for us on a road trip.

Thanks!

have X and 3, considered trading X in for Y. At the moment, keeping the X though and thinking maybe trade in 3 for Y instead. With 2 kids, the extra space in the X compared to 3: can't sit anyone in between 2 car seats like we could in our Accord, so I need to see a Y to see if the 2.8" wider make it possible to utilize that middle space. Only consideration for MY if you are thinking 6 seat X is the seats in the X won't fold flat like the 2nd row in Y--so by hobbies that require lots of stuff, worth thinking about whether that could be a factor?

Our X is 2016 so MCU1: has dog mode and a fake sentry mode (can't record), no dash cam. I do love the dash cam and sentry mode on my 3, but it's not enough yet to make me upgrade to MCU2... I am secretly hoping my MCU1 dies so I can justify the upgrade.

Does XM above mean XM radio? Having streaming audio has completely changed how I listen to audio. I think the Slacker default is decent (even my wife has switched to 80s 90s and Today radio station), and with that and podcasts from TuneIn, I stopped listening to FM radio. No commercials and better audio quality! Then they added Spotify, and with Spotify Premium, the audio quality is another step better. That's why I love Tesla, every part of the car has been modernized.

Awesome find!
Yeah; I think so, too. It has 26k miles and also has the High Fidelity Sound package. It's being shipped from Brooklyn to Cincinnati, where I'll take delivery. I saw it come up on the used Tesla webpage late one evening and didn't immediately jump to get it and waited until the next morning to hit the "Buy" button because the pics that were with the listing were HORRIBLE. The lighting is so bad it makes the pearl white paint look yellow. In fact, when I showed the listing to my wife, the first thing she said was, "You're buying a YELLOW vehicle?" No well-defined interior OR exterior shot, really. Can't even tell what brand the tires are or what condition they're in, although I'm pretty sure when I zoomed in on one shot, I could faintly see the last three letters of Continental. Although I'm complaining about the pics, it may be the reason this stayed available overnight for me to be able to have the chance to acquire it. Like I think I wrote in another post, on delivery day I may be in for a BIG surprise - I just don't know if it'll be a good surprise or bad one.

Yeah; I think so, too. It has 26k miles and also has the High Fidelity Sound package. It's being shipped from Brooklyn to Cincinnati, where I'll take delivery. I saw it come up on the used Tesla webpage late one evening and didn't immediately jump to get it and waited until the next morning to hit the "Buy" button because the pics that were with the listing were HORRIBLE. The lighting is so bad it makes the pearl white paint look yellow. In fact, when I showed the listing to my wife, the first thing she said was, "You're buying a YELLOW vehicle?" No well-defined interior OR exterior shot, really. Can't even tell what brand the tires are or what condition they're in, although I'm pretty sure when I zoomed in on one shot, I could faintly see the last three letters of Continental. Although I'm complaining about the pics, it may be the reason this stayed available overnight for me to be able to have the chance to acquire it. Like I think I wrote in another post, on delivery day I may be in for a BIG surprise - I just don't know if it'll be a good surprise or bad one.

I saw that MX - agreed with the pics but you can't pass up the white interior fully loaded unicorns.

OP - what are you looking for in terms of exterior, interior, and options?

If buying a used X, get a read on the service history. When did they replace front mounts (shudder issue), any other issues etc.

FWIW: X's second stalk makes driving with AP so much better.

Finally, skip the P (does your wife really need a quasi track vehicle) and get a 100....better battery, charging speed, etc.

btw: I have both a 90 and 100 & 100 is so much better built.

100D
Six seat
Subzero (wife is very jealous of my heated steering wheel so it’s a requirement:))
Free supercharging
FSD
Ideal tow package for the hitch but could go install after the fact (its just for bike rack)

A 100D with 6 seater, PUP, Subzero, High Amp Charger, Obsidian black with Tan interior (no high-fidelity sound) just sold yesterday for $66.5. Have to be quick and dedicated in the stalking :).

Went to Carlsbad delivery center Saturday to test drive a Y. It is an awesome car. Solid, fast, good handling and pretty spacious.

Spoke to a Tesla owner (3&X) that was picking up a new Y for his wife (trading in her 3). Asked him if he was also going to trade in his X for a Y and he just looked at me like I was asking a crazy question.

Summed it up for me. While 3&Y are great cars, the Model X is on another level.