Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MX v New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y reservation that is getting close to delivery. The car will be a DD for my wife who has a long commute so Autopilot and FSD are important. We ended up at a Tesla Showroom the other day and we drove a 2020 MX. The 6 seat layout, two screens and slightly larger interior have won my wife over(2 kids, a dog and hobbies that require lots of stuff). The $100k+ price tag won’t work at the moment but used MXs around the MY price work (70ish).
We havnt canceled the MY yet but are close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 MX P90D directly from Tesla. Thanks to this forum I think I understand all the AP 2.0-> 3.0 stuff. The MX has FSD enabled so we should be able to get the upgrade. Here is where I get lost and it’s hard to search for an answer, It’s a 3/17 build so MCU 1.0(correct?), we like XM so that’s somewhat of a plus but what features would we miss other than streaming and a browser(don’t care).

Dog Mode?
Sentry?
Dash Cam?

Anything else I’m missing. I know we take a range hit from the MY hi but it would only really show for us on a road trip.

Thanks!

I have a Model Y reservation that is getting close to delivery. The car will be a DD for my wife who has a long commute so Autopilot and FSD are important. We ended up at a Tesla Showroom the other day and we drove a 2020 MX. The 6 seat layout, two screens and slightly larger interior have won my wife over(2 kids, a dog and hobbies that require lots of stuff). The $100k+ price tag won’t work at the moment but used MXs around the MY price work (70ish).
We havnt canceled the MY yet but are close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 MX P90D directly from Tesla. Thanks to this forum I think I understand all the AP 2.0-> 3.0 stuff. The MX has FSD enabled so we should be able to get the upgrade. Here is where I get lost and it’s hard to search for an answer, It’s a 3/17 build so MCU 1.0(correct?), we like XM so that’s somewhat of a plus but what features would we miss other than streaming and a browser(don’t care).

Dog Mode?
Sentry?
Dash Cam?

Anything else I’m missing. I know we take a range hit from the MY hi but it would only really show for us on a road trip.

Thanks!

Yup it has MCU 1, MCU 2 was introduced around march 2018 for Model X. You would only get sentry once you upgrade your MCU 1 to MCU 2. Dog mode i dont know sorry.

Define long.

Model Y.
New.
More efficient.
Faster Supercharging in kW and, mph. And, original 90kWh battery was terrible, so you don't have to worry about that. Also, a used S or X could have or be close to having a nerfed battery.
Doesn't have the falcon wing doors.
Slightly less ridiculous wheel size.

Or, if you're shopping in the 70k range, you're getting into EQC and e-tron territory, and if you're focused on your wife's comfort, then those are luxury options.

Commute is about 65 miles each way. (3-5x week)

I’ll probably only buy from Tesla with a warranty as I already live dangerously enough with an out of warranty Land Rover. The current MX we are looking at has 31000ish miles but we are willing to search for one the right one. (six seats, free supercharging, FSD and sub zero pack and ideally with a hitch for a bike rack)

So far:
sentry - mcu 2
Dash cam ?
Dog mode ?

We have a 12/2016 pearl white w/ ultra white 6 seat interior P100DL with every option but center console. We previously had a MS P90DL 2016.5 face-lift V3 battery. Beautiful car but doesn't compare to the 100s. Don't buy a 90 battery with 2.0 HW. The 100s offer much more in terms of faster charging and less degradation and more range. Only reason to get a 90 battery is if you're hunting performance only with AP1 for cheap. If you're in the 65s - 70 for a MX P90D with FSD, wait for a P100DL for $68 - $72 with FSD or a loaded 100D For $60 - $65 with FSD. Last week Tesla jumped prices again by what feels like nearly $5k across the board for each trim. Also, try and hunt for a 5 year/50k miles additional warranty unless you drive 20k miles a year. Don't be scared of getting a late 2016 or early 2017 MX ( amazing deals on these years/trims). The additional warranty from Tesla soaks the worries - Tesla SC takes care of you. MCU2 was released at the end of 2018 Q1 and 2.5 HW 2017 Q4 I believe. Be patient, unicorns pop up but you have to be quick.

Anyone who says get a MY, hasn't owned a MX. I don't even want to get into this but MX has more tech than a MY if you're purchasing with FSD and at least HW2.0 or 2.5. The HW3 upgrade for free (when available for HW2) plus MCU2 upgrade makes their argument null. The MY heat pump doesn't come close to the value of the MX extras imo. There are plenty of threads on here discussing the tech advantages of a MX notwithstanding the additional room, storage, FWD, height, in/out ease, etc.

You get dog mode. Also, their website says 30-day trial for premium connectivity; however, there are plenty of cases in which people have purchased used from Tesla recently and the vehicle comes with unlimited premium connectivity, so you'll have web-browsing and streaming music.

Reactions: Socratez
MCU2 and the FSD comp and you get Sentry mode and DashCam. I don’t know where in the process you get Dog Mode, but MCU2 and FSD comp def has Dog mode. The choice for me was easy between the Y and X, but I would look for a 100kw battery if I were you. It can be done in the 70 range.

We have a 12/2016 pearl white w/ ultra white 6 seat interior P100DL with every option but center console. We previously had a MS P90DL 2016.5 face-lift V3 battery. Beautiful car but doesn't compare to the 100s. Don't buy a 90 battery with 2.0 HW. The 100s offer much more in terms of faster charging and less degradation and more range. Only reason to get a 90 battery is if you're hunting performance only with AP1 for cheap. If you're in the 65s - 70 for a MX P90D with FSD, wait for a P100DL for $68 - $72 with FSD or a loaded 100D For $60 - $65 with FSD. Last week Tesla jumped prices again by what feels like nearly $5k across the board for each trim. Also, try and hunt for a 5 year/50k miles additional warranty unless you drive 20k miles a year. Don't be scared of getting a late 2016 or early 2017 MX ( amazing deals on these years/trims). The additional warranty from Tesla soaks the worries - Tesla SC takes care of you. MCU2 was released at the end of 2018 Q1 and 2.5 HW 2017 Q4 I believe. Be patient, unicorns pop up but you have to be quick.

Anyone who says get a MY, hasn't owned a MX. I don't even want to get into this but MX has more tech than a MY if you're purchasing with FSD and at least HW2.0 or 2.5. The HW3 upgrade for free (when available for HW2) plus MCU2 upgrade makes their argument null. The MY heat pump doesn't come close to the value of the MX extras imo. There are plenty of threads on here discussing the tech advantages of a MX notwithstanding the additional room, storage, FWD, height, in/out ease, etc.

You get dog mode. Also, their website says 30-day trial for premium connectivity; however, there are plenty of cases in which people have purchased used from Tesla recently and the vehicle comes with unlimited premium connectivity, so you'll have web-browsing and streaming music.

agree with this (except the warranty is 4/50 rather than 5/50)

Two different driving and ownership experiences. I am having the same internal debate after owning a Model S for a few years and wanting either a Y or an X. Good comparison points have been made in this thread and I think I would be happier in an X, but would try to hold out for a 100D with MCU2, but my wife likes the smaller footprint of the Y and simplicity of the driving controls. Y would fit in our garage easily without rearranging. More towing capacity with the X, but Y does have a towing option now. Y would be cheaper at this point in time. That’s why we have not pulled the trigger yet, but all things considered we would likely lean toward the Y, especially if my wife would be the primary driver.

I am also in a same situation. I have a 2016 MX, and quite happy with the car.

I am awaiting on the MY I ordered, but find myself perusing X inventory to see if I can find a unicorn of X deal.

But I will be happy to get my hands on the new MY. Besides, my garage might be a bit tight to park 2 MXs side by side.

I've already ordered a 4/17 100D MCU1/AP 2.0/FSD X but as I await my delivery date, a couple of things keep eating at me. The first is the fact that I'll eventually have to (well, WANT to) upgrade to the MCU2. I hate it that I will lose FM radio if I upgrade. I rarely listen to it but my wife does ALL THE TIME, so she will definitely not be happy with that. Next is the SC charge time. We plan to use the X as our retirement travel vehicle. I love that it has free SC but I keep reading stuff about the long charge times for the X (remember...2017 battery). Anybody with an older X who has also driven and charged a 3 or a Y have a story for me about this? I have a Model 3 now and have put 70k miles on it, so I have a lot of experience with the idle times at Superchargers. I'm a bit of an antsy sort so I'm always more than ready to go, and counting the minutes until the battery is charged and ready to get back on the highway.

How long are people saying is long? Like how many KW/Hr are the Ys getting on the same superchargers compared to the X?
I saw on a YouTube video "45 mins vs 20 mins" on average per charge. I put some numbers into A Better Routeplanner and for a 663 mile trip, it showed the X as 12:39 vs. the Y's time of 11:44. I used strictly the default settings in the planner; nothing added. ~50 mins over that length of a trip isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me.

I've already ordered a 4/17 100D MCU1/AP 2.0/FSD X but as I await my delivery date, a couple of things keep eating at me. The first is the fact that I'll eventually have to (well, WANT to) upgrade to the MCU2. I hate it that I will lose FM radio if I upgrade. I rarely listen to it but my wife does ALL THE TIME, so she will definitely not be happy with that. Next is the SC charge time. We plan to use the X as our retirement travel vehicle. I love that it has free SC but I keep reading stuff about the long charge times for the X (remember...2017 battery). Anybody with an older X who has also driven and charged a 3 or a Y have a story for me about this? I have a Model 3 now and have put 70k miles on it, so I have a lot of experience with the idle times at Superchargers. I'm a bit of an antsy sort so I'm always more than ready to go, and counting the minutes until the battery is charged and ready to get back on the highway.

Many FM stations can be accessed through the other MCU2 upgrade audio sources or perhaps via BT. It would be worth checking into to see if her favorite FM stations might be accessible. Are you getting free SC with your used purchase? If not, I don’t believe it is transferrable on a 4/17 X - might also be worth verifying as you make your decision. I think you have certainly thought through your options and sought input from others - nicely done. Please keep us informed on your experience as you move forward.

Many FM stations can be accessed through the other MCU2 upgrade audio sources or perhaps via BT. It would be worth checking into to see if her favorite FM stations might be accessible. Are you getting free SC with your used purchase? If not, I don’t believe it is transferrable on a 4/17 X - might also be worth verifying as you make your decision. I think you have certainly thought through your options and sought input from others - nicely done. Please keep us informed on your experience as you move forward.
Yes; free supercharging is included. I’d be thrilled if Premium Connectivity also follows the car (even though it’s not supposed to with the used inventory cars). Some are getting it, some are not. Fingers crossed on that one.