Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Nissan Leaf - what to look for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
Our beloved 2008 Acura is dying, our son drives it at this point. I'm thinking of replacing it with a cheap used LEAF. The budget is cheap, don't really want to spend more than what I can dump the Acura at CarMax for. I can find used LEAF's for 5-7k fairly regularly, early year (2011/2012) SL models.

What I don't know is what I should be watching for. Is the 2011 going to work as a commuter car? Range isn't much of an issue, but I know the early models had low range and, if I recall, a reputation for really drastic range reductions in even moderately cold weather (i.e. 30s and 40s).

Would some kind soul give me a 5 minute lesson on what I should be looking for if I check out these older model LEAFs?

• Funny
Reactions: DougWantsALeaf
Our beloved 2008 Acura is dying, our son drives it at this point. I'm thinking of replacing it with a cheap used LEAF. The budget is cheap, don't really want to spend more than what I can dump the Acura at CarMax for. I can find used LEAF's for 5-7k fairly regularly, early year (2011/2012) SL models.

What I don't know is what I should be watching for. Is the 2011 going to work as a commuter car? Range isn't much of an issue, but I know the early models had low range and, if I recall, a reputation for really drastic range reductions in even moderately cold weather (i.e. 30s and 40s).

Would some kind soul give me a 5 minute lesson on what I should be looking for if I check out these older model LEAFs?
More info needed. I have a 2011 SL with the original battery, and yes, they do have battery and range issues, but work great for what they were designed for. If you’re willing to accept less than 50 mi range for around town in moderate climate, then it’s an awesome option. Yes, the range can be cut in half at very low temperatures, say below 10 F. If you’re lucky or diligent, you can find used Leafs that have had the battery replaced under warranty, and thus, newer and more heat-resistant. Learn more at mynissanleaf.com. Also, insideevs.com has published some articles on buying used EVs, and especially Leafs. Everyone will steer you away from 2011-2012s, but they were made in Japan instead of the US, and the quality (except battery heat resistance) is top notch.

• Helpful
Reactions: ckessel and IdaX
I don't know your budget, but if you can afford the mid teens, look for a used 40kWh 2018 Leaf. If you can afford low 20s, a few of have picked up new lef over 2019 Leaf Plus models. If you are in NJ or CO thanks to state rebates, you can sometimes get one under 20K new. Over 200 miles range for cheap. Very perky acceleration, not Tesla perky, but no slouch.

Driving pattern

Air cooled batteries mean rapid death. Run while you can, as others stated and proven extensively, the Leaf batteries will degrade rapidly unless you live near the Labrador Sea.
So, my nine year old leaf that still has 70%of it’s original range, I should drop like a hot potato? No thanks, I’ll keep driving it all over town just like I have since 2011. Oh, it was 110 F last week, so yes we have heat here.

I have been leading people towards the Chevy Spark EV. Better liquid cooled battery, safer crash test ratings.

FWIW, I ended up getting a 2017 LEAF. Thanks in particular to @tilt for the link. It helped me decide against anything pre-2016. Ended up pretty happy, found a 2017 with 18000 miles for $11700 as a certified preowned. Range aside, it's a great car for that price. It's really more than we'd budgeted, but given the 2013 LEAFs are still going for $5-6, we feel pretty good about the potential depreciation over the next few years relative to the utility we'll get out of the car.

Purchased a used leaf for my daughter. It’s a 2016 with 61k miles. Top of the line, fully loaded. Battery was not great, but met her needs. It fell to 8 bars within 2 months (found out previous owner used CHaDEMO 332 times).

Took it in for a battery health check and they replaced the battery under warranty with a 40kWh battery. They have EOLed the 30kWh battery. :)

now it reads 170 miles when fully charged. I think we can realistically get 150.

turned out to be a pretty good deal!

Things I like -
- birds eye 360 view parking camera
- Bose stereo
- cost
- no vampire drain

Things I don’t like -
- navigation system is difficult
- app is very limited and slow
- storage space

Purchased a used leaf for my daughter. It’s a 2016 with 61k miles. Top of the line, fully loaded. Battery was not great, but met her needs. It fell to 8 bars within 2 months (found out previous owner used CHaDEMO 332 times).

Took it in for a battery health check and they replaced the battery under warranty with a 40kWh battery. They have EOLed the 30kWh battery. :)

now it reads 170 miles when fully charged. I think we can realistically get 150.

turned out to be a pretty good deal!

Things I like -
- birds eye 360 view parking camera
- Bose stereo
- cost
- no vampire drain
Yep. 30 kWh pack was discontinued. I pointed to the TSB mentioning they're installing 40 kWh packs as warranty replacements for 30 kWh packs at Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement - Page 131 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

If the car resided in TX before, it's no surprise that it hit 8 capacity bars before the capacity warranty expired. As for how many times they used CHAdeMO, it might've been due to the former Nissan No Charge to Charge benefit (in conjunction w/EVgo).

Yeah, Leaf and many (most?) other non-Tesla EVs have no significant vampire drain while unplugged.

If the car resided in TX before, it's no surprise that it hit 8 capacity bars before the capacity warranty expired. As for how many times they used CHAdeMO, it might've been due to the former Nissan No Charge to Charge benefit (in conjunction w/EVgo).

City of Austin has a good deal on unlimited ChargePoint serviced by Austin Energy. 6 months for around $30. Works well if you’re near one.

I have unlimited off hours at home charging for $30/mo. Plus it includes chargepoint use. Good deal with three electric cars in the family now.