Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Nissan Leaf's so cheap, they are now hard to resist. I bought one just to loan out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gene

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
I've had a Model S since March 2013 with already 75,000 miles on it. I've had several friends and strangers order Model S's after riding in mine. Thing is I have a whole slew of friends somewhat interested in EV's who haven't made the purchase. Oh they talk the talk about concern over climate change, pollution etc. But they still drive ICE, they still have no solar panels. Even though they talk the talk, as far as Mother Earth is concerned as far as she can see, their actions really are no different than a climate denier. So, I bought this really nice 2013 Leaf with 12 bars of battery, in awesome condition with only 25k miles on it for $7,600 (Anaheim Pre-Owned Cars has 50 to 60 at anytime, talk to Josh). I'm loaning this Leaf out to whomever will try it a couple of days. I only got the car a week ago. I loaned to friends on the fence, well, they are now shopping for one. Next week, I have another friend scheduled, so on and so on. I'm just thinking all my obsessive talk about EV's to people I meet means nothing to them, but loaning them an EV for a couple of days speaks volumes. Any of you EV obsessed folks out there might consider doing the same. Actually, it's rather fun.

I also listed it on Turo, you can see it here: Take a trip in Gene's Nissan

Nice work. I plan on keeping my 2013 Leaf SV once the Model 3 arrives and loan it out to friends and family for a week at a time to try out driving an EV. I almost won't get enough for selling it to make it worth getting rid of.

Are you concerned about people just having 120V charging and not getting a true experience or do you just clarify that "If you actually buy an EV, for a nominal fee, you can have a dedicated station to charge the car in a few hours instead of overnight"?

Reactions: Jaff and ggnykk
Used Nissan LEAFs at good prices are fairly plentiful. Still, if you go some distance to get one (much over 60 miles), then remember you have a major planning exercise, possibly with considerable extra time, to be able to get it home. (Not all LEAFs have the DC fast-charge connector)

• Informative
Reactions: doubleohwhat
Nice work. I plan on keeping my 2013 Leaf SV once the Model 3 arrives and loan it out to friends and family for a week at a time to try out driving an EV. I almost won't get enough for selling it to make it worth getting rid of.

Are you concerned about people just having 120V charging and not getting a true experience or do you just clarify that "If you actually buy an EV, for a nominal fee, you can have a dedicated station to charge the car in a few hours instead of overnight"?
In California J1772 chargers literally are all over the place. My Leaf does have Quick Charge as well. Where I live, we are a small city of only 100k peopleyet we have everything anyone would ever want. So far the folks I am going to loan the Leaf to have very short commutes and would highly unlikely drive more than 30 or 40 miles a day. Yes, I give them the L1 charger, but also point out plugshare to them. In California most every last garage has a 14-30 plug. I'm currently bidding on used Clipper Creek LCS-25 L2 chargers on ebay that come with a 14-30. I can easily hand one of these to those I loan the Leaf to as they likely have the 14-30 outlet at home.

Reactions: scottf200
For the 14-30 outlets, another option is sending in the Nissan EVSE to EVSE Upgraded having them convert it for 208/240V capabilities. This is offered at Nissan : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions.

For $287, they'll upgrade the internals on the 2013 Nissan EVSE to be compatible with 30 Amp 208/240 V service. They replace the standard NEMA 5-15 plug on the Nissan EVSE with an L6-30 plug. Add on a $38 adapter for plugging into 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 outlets and $25 for their adapter to plug into a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet and they should be good to go for almost any situation. The other common adapter that may be desired is one for a NEMA 10-30 (old-style 3-pring dryer outlet), which goes for $30.

I did this upgrade on my Nissan-supplied EVSE. While most charging has been done on the permanently mounted Clipper Creek LCS-25 and now 40-amp OpenEVSE system in my garage, having the 240V capabilities was nice and had the added convenience of only having a single EVSE. I don't know what the going price for the LCS-25 is on eBay, but you may consider the $350 (or $380 for adding compatibility with 10-30 outlets) EVSE Upgrade option. As I remember, the turnaround on their upgrade service was 1-2 days. It would only take a day for shipping each direction since you're in CA, and you can get the EVSE upgraded in less than a week.

For the 14-30 outlets, another option is sending in the Nissan EVSE to EVSE Upgraded having them convert it for 208/240V capabilities. This is offered at Nissan : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions.

For $287, they'll upgrade the internals on the 2013 Nissan EVSE to be compatible with 30 Amp 208/240 V service. They replace the standard NEMA 5-15 plug on the Nissan EVSE with an L6-30 plug. Add on a $38 adapter for plugging into 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 outlets and $25 for their adapter to plug into a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet and they should be good to go for almost any situation. The other common adapter that may be desired is one for a NEMA 10-30 (old-style 3-pring dryer outlet), which goes for $30.

I did this upgrade on my Nissan-supplied EVSE. While most charging has been done on the permanently mounted Clipper Creek LCS-25 and now 40-amp OpenEVSE system in my garage, having the 240V capabilities was nice and had the added convenience of only having a single EVSE. I don't know what the going price for the LCS-25 is on eBay, but you may consider the $350 (or $380 for adding compatibility with 10-30 outlets) EVSE Upgrade option. As I remember, the turnaround on their upgrade service was 1-2 days. It would only take a day for shipping each direction since you're in CA, and you can get the EVSE upgraded in less than a week.
@swaltner, thank you so much for this advice. The LCS25's go about $250. I'll check out the link you provided. I also have a second Tesla UMC with several adaptors. I may just mount a J1772 to the UMC costing me only $75.

Used Nissan LEAFs at good prices are fairly plentiful. Still, if you go some distance to get one (much over 60 miles), then remember you have a major planning exercise, possibly with considerable extra time, to be able to get it home. (Not all LEAFs have the DC fast-charge connector)

Very true but not insurmountable. For example I drove 200+ miles home with my used leaf.

It was a full days outing. Leaving home in a Prius after an early breakfast, driving over the mountains into NC, dealing with a used car dealer that was surprisingly easy to deal with, charging the car up, driving home, charging, driving, charging, driving. I got home after midnight. :)

Lunch was good but Dinner ended up being in a rural area with few choices so I'd say the food was more of an issue to me than the driving.

• Funny
Reactions: gene
I used to only buy used cars from private parties but in this case, the best deals on used Leaf's are from used car dealers who are buying ex-lease Leaf's at auction. Nissan is losing their pants on these lease sales. But, since Nissan makes their profits on ICE cars, if you think about it, the people who buy ICE cars are actually subsidizing your Leaf for you. So you are not only no longer buying gas, the ICE Nissan buyers threw you a few thou $$ as well. Pretty good deal!

I've had a Model S since March 2013 with already 75,000 miles on it. I've had several friends and strangers order Model S's after riding in mine. Thing is I have a whole slew of friends somewhat interested in EV's who haven't made the purchase. Oh they talk the talk about concern over climate change, pollution etc. But they still drive ICE, they still have no solar panels. Even though they talk the talk, as far as Mother Earth is concerned as far as she can see, their actions really are no different than a climate denier. So, I bought this really nice 2013 Leaf with 12 bars of battery, in awesome condition with only 25k miles on it for $7,600 (Anaheim Pre-Owned Cars has 50 to 60 at anytime, talk to Josh). I'm loaning this Leaf out to whomever will try it a couple of days. I only got the car a week ago. I loaned to friends on the fence, well, they are now shopping for one. Next week, I have another friend scheduled, so on and so on. I'm just thinking all my obsessive talk about EV's to people I meet means nothing to them, but loaning them an EV for a couple of days speaks volumes. Any of you EV obsessed folks out there might consider doing the same. Actually, it's rather fun.

I also listed it on Turo, you can see it here: Take a trip in Gene's Nissan

I'm not sure if this is available outside of Minnesota, but this is really a great deal...
The Latest Deals | Drive Electric Minnesota

Basically, $10k off the price of a new Leaf.
Then, the normal $7500 tax credit on top of that!

It is only in place through the end of the year.

If you spend a bit more you could buy a Spark EV and loan out a car that they might actually enjoy driving. As opposed to a universally despised POS like the Leaf. Do it for your 2nd loaner and compare reports (now there's an idea!).
--
Have you ever driven a Leaf? Universally despised? Have you ever driven a Spark EV? Get real! Every EV has instant response, and almost all of them are fun to drive. I've tried every one I could find. The Soark is the only one I'd not choose to recommend because it is tiny, anemicand has minimalistic information. The Leaf, even the iMIEV, seem to be adored by drivers. The Volt too, but not the Spark.

Perhaps you live on a different planet than do I?

> I've never heard of a Spark. Will Google.[Ormond]

50 lashes with a wet noodle!!

> because it is tiny, anemic and has minimalistic information. [jbcarioca]

Clearly it is you who have never driven a Spark EV.
--

Last edited:
> I've never heard of a Spark. Will Google.[Ormond]

50 lashes with a wet noodle!!

> because it is tiny, anemic and has minimalistic information. [jbcarioca]

Clearly it is you who have never driven a Spark EV.
--
I have indeed driven a Spark, for an interminable week! Never again!

> I had considered the Spark EV but they are above $3,000 more and tiny. [gene]

In a hot rod 'tiny' can be a plus. West coast they are mostly under 9k now so Kelly knows the added value here: remove the body and you can electrify a much larger vehicle! No disrespect intended for the Leaf; 'uninspired' is what I meant to say (edit doublefail!). Apologies to Carlos Ghosn & Co who are releasing an upgrade finally so no home should be without at least one.
--

Reactions: gene
@wycolo, yes I understand the advantages of the Spark EV. But as this is to be a loaner, I didn't want people who borrow the car to think only tiny cars can be electric. The Leaf has a larger cargo area. I just needed a more "all arounder" practical car for people to try. Most of those who will try this car are in their late 40's and 50's.

Reactions: Ormond
I'm not sure if this is available outside of Minnesota, but this is really a great deal...
The Latest Deals | Drive Electric Minnesota

Basically, $10k off the price of a new Leaf.
Then, the normal $7500 tax credit on top of that!

It is only in place through the end of the year.

Zythryn,
Thanks for this info. I have a ton of family in Minnesota, and I forwarded them all the link to the Drive Electric Minnesota deal page.

RT

Reactions: gene and Zythryn