Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Nissan Leaf's so cheap, they are now hard to resist. I bought one just to loan out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't dream of owning a Leaf in the high desert. That would wreak havoc on its battery, though southern CA has become nearly as bad. 115F degree summers keep my interest waning.
Without a doubt, there are some battery risks with a Leaf. That's why I checked the Carfax on every Leaf I was looking at. I choose a Leaf from the San Fran area which is easy temperatures on a Leaf battery, and then my locale is perfect weather for a Leaf as well. It's the battery worries that some people have and the huge supply of used Leaf's that make them the low priced bargain they are. For you, in the desert, something like the Chevy Spark would be better. Though here, they run $2,000 more than a Leaf.

Anaheim Pre Owned gives you the Carfax for each car on their website.

I wouldn't dream of owning a Leaf in the high desert. That would wreak havoc on its battery, though southern CA has become nearly as bad. 115F degree summers keep my interest waning.

So true, I lose 6% a year in TN where we see tons of rain (on the edge of a temperate rain forest). Anything over 80F seems to move the needle.

Don't let talk of "lizard battery" change your mind either. SW temps will fry a leaf even with the so called lizard battery.

Hadn't heard of said lizard battery. There is at least one owner who was brave enough to buy one (takes his vehicle to promote EVs at the Earth Day event). I wish him luck. If you refrigerate it from May through September, you might prolong its lifetime. I also see there's a more recent Model X owner locally...I suspect he's going to fare better than the Leaf.

So, this is a minor detail but to further people's realization of EV's around them I made a small addition to my Leaf. The badges on the Leaf that say "Zero Emissions", I believe are meaningless to the average driver. There are all sorts of cars that say things like "ultra low emissions vehicle" etc. Well, take any of those cars into your garage, close the garage door, run the engine and you are dead all the same.

The way the Leaf comes from Nissan, nowhere on the Leaf does it say "Electric". So, to fix that, I removed the badges on the two front doors that say "Zero Emissions" and replaced them with "Electric". I think the car also looks better with these.
EV Electric Car 3D Chrome Decal for Chevy Volt, Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Tesla & More! | eBay

On the back of the car where people at red lights tend to read the badges on cars, I placed the bolder "Electric" smack in the middle of the hatchback door. Though I now wish I had removed the "zero emission" badge on the right side of the hatch and placed the "electric" badge to the right.
"ELECTRIC" Easy to apply Car Emblem | eBay

Pic with "zero emission" is before. Pics with "electric" are after pics.

IMG_1234.jpeg
IMG_1387.jpeg