TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Used or new

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dan5, Mar 2, 2013.

?

New or used

1. New 60 kwhr

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Old 85 kwhr

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I'm trying to get a grasp on this from a financial perspective

It looks like an 8 year old 85 kwhr battery will have as much charge, or more than a new 60 kwhr battery

Assuming the design and technology does not change drastically, what would you do?

To put in perspective

A new chassis with new components with "miles" on the engine

In this case 60 kwhr

Or

A "new engine" with an old chassis and components

Let's say 67 kwhr

It's a tough choice

2. Bearman

Bearman Member

Since I dont have enough real data about how the battery will degrade after the supposed 8 years or miles accrued there is a risk of changes to the rate of degradation in the future, so just from the point of battery degradation there is more risk in going with the old one. In the future we might see that the degradation turns out to be less over time and then it might make good sense to go for the old one but not knowing adds to risk and hence a cost to that risk that has to be added into the evaluation. I would look to see if there are any data in the future about the rate of degradation after time passes to put a valuation to that risk, if it remains linear at a steady state then one might put a low price to the risk one is taking.

To phrase this into common language, if there aren't any bad news revealed in the future about the rate of battery degradation then one can compare the batteries by their capacity only. Other than that one will just find at what price the general state of the old car makes sense compared to a new 60 kWh car.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

An impossible decision without (a) a definition of "old" and (b) pricing. If "old" is 8 years, then the battery capacity will probably be pretty similar but the new 60kWh will have new suspension, new electronics, etc. which is worth a good bit in potential repair costs. More to the point, in 8 years I doubt that Tesla will sell a 60kWh pack; advances in battery technology will move the target.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree. If things progress, 85 kWh might be the smallest pack offered at that point.

5. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

We'll see, it's all speculation. I would argue that the 60kWh battery will stay around, but (hopefully!) less expensive. Tesla's car for the masses.