Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used p85/p85+ vs used 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the market for a used tesla. Debating whether to choose a 2013 p85+ or a 2015 70D. The + comes pretty loaded and has an extended warranty. The 70D obviously has awd and autopilot hardware. Prices are mid 60's. I love performance cars but i already have a Viper so i feel selfish picking the + when i can get awd (safer) and autopilot (future of cars, better resale) for the family. On the other hand, the + has more options, has the extended warranty (70d is a non cpo dealer car so i guess i cant buy an extended warranty) and is in my preferred color.

Any advice? Are there factors i'm not considering but should be?seems like people love the rwd tesla in the snow and i live in NY with 2 kids.

Thanks in advance to all.

Art

Also, are there any tax rebates when purchasing a used tesla in NY (car is currently registered out of state). Thanks again.

I believe you can only get tax rebates if you are the 1st owner of the car.

For example:
  • You can get tax rebates if you purchase Inventory (INV) designated cars off the Tesla website. These cars were never owned.
  • You cannot get tax rebates if you purhcase CPO designated cars off the Tesla website. As you already know, these are pre-owned cars.

I drove a P85+ loaner for about a week, and while it was a healthy and notable 1 second faster 0-60, I really missed my AWD (it was still winter at the time) and of course most of all Autopilot.

Autopilot is really the next level of amazingness from our fly-by-wire electric cars, perfect for me for my regular weekly traffic crushes as well as my long distance journeys.

I'd buy the 70D. If speed isn't your priority go for the dual motor car. I think it will be more reliable in the long run because the drivetrain stress is spread between the two motors and differentials. The P cars ride harder riding in my experience with tighter handling.

I did not opt into the Extended Service Agreement (ESA, aka extended warranty).

Original factory warranty should still be in effect for the '15 70D. Consider how many miles are on it and your annual mileage.
Also remember the battery and drive unit are under warranty 8 years no mileage limit.
For a CPO, I think you get 50k miles from the purchase date, and the ESA I think is off the table.
AFAIK, the only cars Tesla won't honor the original warranty are salvages.
Yes, all 2015 cars have AP hardware. If AP wasn't optioned in, you can pay tesla $3000 to activate it.
You probably want the 70D.

I'm the owner of a 2013 P85 that we purchased last year through the CPO program. It was loaded with pretty much every option available in Feb 2013 except the rear facing jump seats. We love it, and I'm thrilled about the warranty, which we have used.

We just had a loaner 70D for 4 days and about 400 miles. It was equipped with Autopilot hardware, but the Autopilot was not active. Without the Autopilot, I preferred our P85. Our car definitely feels more spirited and performance minded.

I have driven Autopilot equipped cars, and the system is amazing. As a technophile, I'd spring for the 70D. As a car enthusiast, I'd spring for the P85. As a Tesla owner who financially stretched to afford our car, I'd spring for the car with the warranty!

In practice, the P85 is probably going to get you about 20-30 miles more range than the 70D. Over the 400 miles we had the 70D (in almost all weather conditions, including snow, rain, cold, warm and dry), our energy consumption was around 370 wh/mile. Our P85 in similar conditions gets around 340 wh/mile. (I know they say the 70D is more efficient, I'm just reporting what I observed.)

I have a classic 85. For a couple of days I had a P85+ loaner that I liked. I like rear wheel drive cars and I liked the suspension of the P85+. The P85+ will already have depreciation in the price. Once you go on a trip you will find the extra range imprortant.

I all depends upon your priorities.